Goblin, Flintspark (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Within the vast and varies climates in the world, various races have adapted to their environments and adopted different cultures to fit. The elves and their many subraces are testament to this fact, but they are not the only ones. Among the goblinoid races the lowly goblin has proven to be as genetically varied as any elf. Within the high bluffs and canyons of the Clashing Wastes live the Flintspark Goblins and kin.
Flintspark goblins are known for their disturbing love of fire, tendencies to arson and mayhem, and reckless behavior. In their native homeland they worship fire itself as a divine entity, both a giver of life warmth and light, and a taker of lives, cruel and sporadic. And so they seek to emulate their gods and spread his influence, a task many flintspark goblins take literally.
Flintspark goblins are surprisingly dedicated and zealous with their religion, and the love of fire has infected every essence of their being. Like the flames they emulate flintspark goblins are brash, impulsive, excitable, cruel, uncaring, and dangerous all at once. They live for the moment and do what they wish, all for the glory of fire. Some take it as a religious experience, while other flintspark goblins do what they do simply because it suits them. In all cases, flintspark goblins are often enamored by fire. Many specialize in tasks where they can use or be around fire.
Because of their culture of fire, flintspark goblins do not have "firemen" in the traditional sense. To put out flames would be blasphemy, so instead flintspark goblins contain fire and let what it has already claimed burn. This has ironically led to the habit of preemptive burning, "fighting fire with fire", a technique now used outside of flintspark goblin territories as a valid way of stopping wildfires from occurring. When it comes to putting out flames, flintsparks are loathe to do so but it sometimes happens by accident or purpose. To snuff a candle is much like crushing a bug, and to quench a wildfire, akin to murdering another goblin. This believe has led to many unexpected fights when torch-bearing adventurers snuff their torches to rest rather than letting them burn out slowly.
Flintspark goblins are short green humanoids with long noses and long pointed ears like an elf. They have pronounced sharp teeth and wide disturbing grins, with scraggly thin or patchwork hair that smells faintly of ash. This has much to do with frequent fire accidents as it has to do with genetics. Their skin tones range from bright green to ashen gray. Hair colors vary, favoring white, black, varies shades of grey, and several red, orange, and blonde colors. Eyes likewise follow suit for colors. Goblin feet are unusually durable, and many go barefoot simply because they can.
The culture's love of arson often puts them at odds with the civilized world as their many accidents have started many a terrible inferno. As a result they are rejected and outcast by most, except curiously by dwarves who (while they hardly love them) can tolerate their damage as most of their buildings are stone and do not burn. Consequently flintspark goblins want nothing to do with dwarves and find their stone homes an offense for their lack of flammability. Flintspark goblins have an uneasy relationship with orcs, who bully them but at the same time often use their services in times of war. Elves that live in forested areas hate them for the ecological disaster they pose. Really, flintspark goblins have few friends beyond those touched by fire themselves, such as fire giants and elementals.
Flintspark culture is strongly chaotic, with equal amounts of good and evil among them.
Flintspark goblins originally hail from the Clashing Wastes, a semi-arid canyon area with heavy amounts of flint deposits naturally in the area. Flintspark goblins in their home territories are often attributed to the discovery and use of the material flintsteel. They raid nearby forested areas for wood and other flammable materials for great bonfires they would set up in the cold desert nights to their god.
In more recent times, flintspark goblins have spread out. They often attempt to integrate with the larger cultures, but have little luck at culling their urge to burn all the wooden buildings they see. They get more luck in rural areas where a single blaze does not destroy a community en masse.
Flintspark goblins worship fire. Not simply a god of fire (though they often do so) but fire itself. It is special among all elements, ethereal and unreal as the gods and full of power. Fire is life and death, fire is warmth and agony. Fire is disparity and the goblins could not live without it. Many flintspark goblins are actually zealous worshipers of fire, regardless if they level in cleric or not.
Flintspark goblins speak Common and Goblin. Most also choose Ignan as one of their bonus languages.
Flintspark goblin names are more descriptors than anything, choosing titles such as "Ash Burnseverything" and "Inflam Oilspray". These names seem silly to most, but it is because flintspark goblins keep a real name to themselves, spoken in Ignan and sounding more like the hiss and crackle of flames themselves. Subsequently, the particular dialect of goblin flintspark goblins speak is one heavy in hissing, popping, and other flame-esque sounds.
- -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: Neither strong of frame nor the wisest of beings, they remain as nimble and terrifying as the flames they love so much.
- Humanoid (Goblinoid): Flintspark goblins are still goblins after all.
- Small: As a Small creature, a flintspark goblins gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Flintspark Goblins base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A flintspark goblins can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a flintspark goblins can function just fine with no light at all.
- Fire Specialist (Ex): Flintspark goblins deal +1d6 extra points of damage with any attack that deals fire damage, and +1 DC to Fire spells. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.
- Never Learning Always Burning (Ex): Flintspark goblins are not the wisest of the bunch, but they still follow many divine teachings with fervor. A flintspark goblin can use Charisma in place of Wisdom on any class features that may call for it (such as the spellcasting of a cleric or the AC Bonus of a monk.)
- Thermal Resistance (Ex): A flintspark goblin is always under the effects of endure elements (heat only), and possess energy resistance to fire 5. Unlike most energy resistance, this energy resistance stacks with other kinds.
- Weapon Familiarity (Ex): Flintspark goblins can use torches as simple weapons rather than improvised weapons.
- Skills (Ex): Flintspark goblins have a +3 racial bonus on intimidate checks. With their charisma bonus, it effectively negates their penalty for being small sized.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin
- Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Halfling, Ignan, Orc, Terran
- Favored Class: Rogue or Sorcerer
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|25 years||37 years||50 years||+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 8"||++2d4||30 lb.||× (x1) lb.|
|Female||2' 6"||++2d4||25 lb.||× (x1) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Rogue + and Sorcerer +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength +, +2 Dexterity +, -2 Wisdom + and +2 Charisma +|
|Summary||Flintspark goblins are known for their disturbing love of fire, tendencies to arson and mayhem, and reckless behavior. +|
|Title||Goblin, Flintspark +|