Golden One (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Creatures which seem like humans enlarged and perfected, they are a glorious master race which fell in power, leaving only survivors behind. They are the men born of gods, more human than human and near the spark of divinity. Some refer to them as the Nephilim, a race of supermen in the first age. Certainly their story seems to match; born of otherworldly sources, they quickly came to be worshiped as gods on earth. Through some blasphemy and divine disaster, their many numbers were depleted until only a few remain to this day, hidden away.
It is said that in the days of old the golden ones lead humanity as leaders, then kings, and then finally under the names of gods themselves. Perhaps it was that final blasphemy which did them in, but their numbers were reduced until only a few remained. Those rare survivors tend to be bitter, jaded, and hateful to the whims and desires of the gods, and are possessed with a self-importance and ego who commands respect. Egotistical and proud, it breeds evil and abuse. They were born into power and know nothing else of it, and thus have become spoiled and angry that the times have changed without them.
The golden ones appear as humankind perfected, all with strong muscled frames a bit thicker and stockier than most, and certainly larger standing at shortest 9 feet and often up to 12 feet in height. They come in several shades but the majority of them have bronze, nearly metallic skin leading to their name. Their hair can both be bald or long and comes in many colors, and their eyes always stand out in piercing sharp greens, blues, reds, and occationally blank white (though this does not hamper their vision at all).
They typically dress in gaudy fashion befitting of their position; huge royal robes, shining and overstylized armor, and weapons and shields which seem more glamour than practical. Yet none can deny their strength and power.
In olden times golden ones lead mankind against its early opponents which threatened to drive primative man extinct. This is no longer the case, and now the golden ones hide in the shadows and caves, blending in with similarly shaped giants, the lone beautiful being in a hoarde of hideous mockeries. And they hate it. Though they are capable of working together and acting polite, most golden ones hide a sea of envy and regret, and secretly wish doom on others.
Their overwhelming bitter natures and desire to rule no matter the cost leads most golden ones of this age to be lawful evil.
The golden one lands are places of legend: Atlantis, Mu, and various forgotten cities which seemed far more advanced for their days. One by one their civilizations sunk with the ones who created them, leaving them with no land to call their own.
The golden ones, as far as they are concerned, were betrayed by the gods and thus are almost universally atheist or non-worshipping. While they do not deny the existance of gods, they see them as powerful immortals no better than they.
Golden ones speak common, celestial, giant, and infernal.
Golden ones name to be flowery and epic, the names of angels, fiends, and gods are the only names suitable for them. Thus they get names such as Uriel, Abbadon, Sandelphon, Barbarius, and Ramiel.
- +8 Strength, +6 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Charisma: Strong, tough, smart, and imposing. They are everything which seems the ideal, superhumans in every way.
- Giant (Human): They are giants, yet have the blood of humans running within them. They count as humans as well as the giant type.
- Large: As a Large creature, a Golden Ones takes a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, a +4 size bonus on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, but it uses larger weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are twice of those of a Medium character. They have a space and reach of 10 feet.
- Golden One base land speed is 40 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A golden one can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Golden ones recieve Diehard as a bonus feat.
- Golden ones receive 2 extra skill points per level.
- Golden ones have +1 natural armor.
- Golden ones are immune to mundane diseases, but not magical diseases.
- Armor and Weapon Proficiency: Golden Ones are proficient in all simple and martial weapons, as well as all armor and shields (but not tower shields).
- Aura of Menace (Su): A righteous aura surrounds golden ones that fight or get angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of a golden one must succeed on a Will save to resist its effects. The save DC is 12 + 1/2 HD + Charisma-based, which includes a +2 racial bonus. Those who fail take a –2 penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for 24 hours or until they successfully hit the golden one that generated the aura. A creature that has resisted or broken the effect cannot be affected again by the same golden one's aura for 24 hours.
- Hatred (Ex): Golden Ones hate the gods, and receives a +1 attack and damage bonus against creatures with divine casting, and +4 on their spell resistance against divine spells. They must always apply spell resistance against divine spells, even ally and harmless spells.
- Immortal (Ex): Golden Ones are biologically immortal. As a side effect they never gain bonuses (or penalties) from aging.
- Racial Hit Dice: A golden one begins with five levels of giant, which provide 5d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fortitude +4, Reflex +1, and Will +1.
- Racial Skills: A golden one’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 8 x (4 + Int modifier), which includes its 2 extra skill points per level. Its class skills are Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (religion), Listen, Perform, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, and Swim.
- Racial Feats: A golden one’s giant hit dice give it two feats.
- Redundant Biology (Ex): Golden Ones automatically stabilize from dying and never take bleeding damage. They possess multiple copies of vital organs, granting them 25% fortification. If a golden one loses his head to a vorpal weapon, he does not die. His intelligence drops to 1 and he is blind and deaf, but he may continue fighting in such a state. Finally they never need to make massive damage saves.
- Regeneration (Ex): Golden Ones possess regeneration 1, which is bypassed by cold, fire, and aligned weapons.
- Spell Resistance (Ex): Golden Ones possess spell resistance equal to their HD + 10.
- Automatic Languages: Celestial, Common, Giant, and Infernal.
- Bonus Languages: Any (except Druidic).
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 5
Racial Progression Class
The following is a racial progression for the Golden One, allowing it to play as low as 1st level. You gain the following racial features at the level indicated, with the ability score array as shown. If you choose to take the racial progression class, you must take only the racial progression until you complete it at 5th before taking any other class.
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+0||Ability Scores (+2 Str, +2 Con), Bonus Skill Points, Hatred, Immortal, Low-Light Vision, Natural Armor, Proficiencies|
|2nd||+1||+3||+0||+0||Ability Scores (+4 Str, +2 Con, +2 Cha), Diehard, Redundant Biology|
|3rd||+2||+3||+1||+1||Ability Scores (+4 Str, +4 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha), Aura of Menace|
|4th||+3||+4||+1||+1||Ability Scores (+6 Str, +4 Con, +2 Int, +4 Cha), Spell Resistance|
|5th||+3||+4||+1||+1||Ability Scores (+8 Str, +6 Con, +2 Int, +4 Cha), Regeneration|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Hatred: As the racial feature. You possess spell resistance, but only for the purpose of resisting divine spells as noted. You do not gain spell resistance to all spells until level 4.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|N/A years||N/A years||N/A years||+Unlimited years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||9' 0"||+4d10||360 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||8' 7"||+4d10||255 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||5 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+8 Strength +, +6 Constitution +, +2 Intelligence + and +4 Charisma +|
|Rated By||Spanambula +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Skill||Balance +, Bluff +, Climb +, Concentration +, Craft +, Diplomacy +, Gather Information +, Handle Animal +, Intimidate +, Jump +, Knowledge +, Listen +, Perform +, Ride +, Sense Motive +, Spot +, Survival + and Swim +|
|Skill Points||4 +|
|Summary||They are the men born of gods, more human than human and near the spark of divinity. Some refer to them as the Nephilim, a race of supermen in the first age. +|
|Title||Golden One +|