Half-Sphinx (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
"What lays with four legs in the morning, two legs in the evening, and three legs at night?
....yeah, the answer is still man. Seriously, those promiscuous little creatures will sleep with anything."
Half humanoid half sphinx crossbreeds, they combine the riddling nature of the sphinx with the cunning and cleverness of humanity.
Sphinx society is broken up by biological roles, four mono-gendered species able to interbreed to produce more of their kind. However, this no longer holds true for half-sphinx, though some influence is still felt. Specifically, the half-sphinx can adopt any number of personalities but easiest takes on personalities of the philosopher (androsphinx), the miser (criosphinx), the riddler (gynosphinx), or the wrathful (hieracosphinx) regardless of gender. This often matches the breed of sphinx they originated from as well, but sometime take more from their human parent.
A half-sphinx is humanoid, with its top half entirely dominated by humanoid features. From the waist down their body becomes leonine, with wide haunches, digigrade legs, and tail. In spite of this they stand bipedal, and their haunches make them seem shorter than they actually appear. Colors vary, with humanoid skin, hair, and eye tones for the top half and typically brown and golds for the furry bottom half.
Although omnivorous, their teeth are undoubtedly built for meat, and they prefer it over greens. They often have cat-like eyes with vertical pupils, and some may even gain whiskers are part of their normal facial hair.
Sphinx are not generally "social" creatures, inhabiting arid solitary lands for much of their existence. Thus, a half-sphinx is always an oddity and is either raised in the middle of nowhere, or among others as a strange unique being. Too rare to form any cohesion, relations with a half-sphinx is by and large an individual experience every time.
A half-sphinx does not require a specific alignment, but do trend to the alignment of the sphinx species they most take after.
Half-sphinxes have no land of their own, but often can be found in the arid ruins where their parents may have once been.
A half-sphinx is rarely religious inherently, though they can adopt one. Such ones often take after gods of knowledge and mysteries.
A half-sphinx speaks Common and Sphinx.
Half-sphinx names do vary by culture, but many are taken from Greek and Egyptian sources.
- +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma: Strong and durable as a lion, they often possess keen minds, though what they excel at varies.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Anthro, Human, Sphinx): Between magical beast and humanoid, half-sphinx are certainly under the guise of monstrous humanoid.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a half-sphinx has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Half-Sphinx base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A half-sphinx can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a half-sphinx can function just fine with no light at all.
- Bloodline: A half-sphinx gains a different benefit depending on the bloodline chosen by the half-sphinx, as below.
- Androsphinx: You gain a 1st level divine spell slot which you may prepare and cast divine spells from as a cleric of your level, using your highest mental ability score for casting. If you have a have a high enough mental ability score to obtain bonus spell slots, you gain them as normal. This counts as clerical casting for pre-requisities, but cannot advance from prestige classes which advance spellcasting, and is a separate pool from any clerical casting you possess.
- Criosphinx: You gain speak with animals as a constant, supernatural ability. In addition you deal double damage on a charge attack (triple with a lance) as if you were mounted.
- Gynosphinx: You gain comprehend languages, detect magic, and read magic as spell-like abilities at will. You gain a +4 bonus on any skill or ability check made to solve a riddle or mystery.
- Hieracosphinx: You gain pounce, and can shriek as a supernatural ability. The shrill shriek deafens non-sphinxes or half-sphinxes within a 60-foot-radius spread for 2d4 rounds (Fortitude negates). Once a creature successfully saves against this effect, it is immune to the creature's shriek for 24 hours. Using this ability is a standard action. The save DC is Constitution-based.
- Natural Weapons (Ex): Two claws dealing 1d4 damage. If a half-sphinx gains an unarmed strike, they may deal slashing damage on their unarmed strike.
- Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of half-sphinxes lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-sphinx is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-sphinx is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-sphinx is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-sphinx can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Sphinx
- Bonus Languages: Draconic
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|200 years||400 years||600 years||+2d10 x10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 0"||+2d10||150 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 10"||+2d10||100 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+4 Strength +, +2 Constitution + and +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma +|
|Subtype||Anthro, Human, Sphinx +|
|Summary||Half humanoid half sphinx crossbreeds, they combine the riddling nature of the sphinx with the cunning and cleverness of humanity. +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|