Hamham (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The hamhams are sapient hamster people with a strong sense of justice, a compassionate heart, and no tolerance for evil in a most unassuming frame.
Cute, fuzzy, round, and pudgy, one might expect a creature called a hamham to be an absolute baby in its innocence and mirth, but this is only half right. Though very pleasant to others and always looking out for friends, the hamhams are surprisingly deep thinkers who enjoy philosophy, religion, and the nature of good and evil. These wise little creatures are much more than their appearance suggests, and they have the courage of beings many times their size.
However, one might find a hamham to be a stickler who demands greatness and valor out of not only itself, but also others. While hamhams do try to respect the views of others, it gives them a certain air of arrogance and superiority, as they often find others to be somehow lesser because they do not share their clearly superior views.
Oversized for a hamster, the hamhams are nevertheless quite small, almost tiny in size. What they lack in height, they make up in girth, though a large part of it is their puffy fur in addition to a round body. They come covered in any fur patterns, often orange with orange, brown, and black spots, and white underbellies. Large eyes in various colors and small pink or black noses mark their visage. They are capable of bipedal movement, and their rat-like paws have full grip and functionality as a person. Though they have no need for clothing, it is not uncommon for them to adorn themselves with random bits of clothing they see as attractive, from small baubles and jewelry to fancy pettycoats and robes, or even armor. It is worn as much for fashion as function, and as a symbol of pride.
Hamhams were once quite reclusive in the world and thus were not known about for some time. It seems their arrival on the front stage of the world came with a political revolution among their ranks which exalted the values of good, law, and taking a more active stance in the world, even if it meant crusades and condemnations. The original evil which their kind had fought against is now long gone, yet they remain as unsuspecting protectors of the world.
Viewing themselves as examples of how to act in the world, they assume the position of role models for others, even if others do not take them seriously for their appearance and lack of strength. They try to establish friendly connections to all that will listen. For those that will not, they instead offer the sword, and the fights between the groups can be bloody... assuming the other side does not die of laughter first.
Hamhams are usually lawful and good, but exceptions always exist, especially among the wandering members of their kind who may have had to bend the rules one too many times to get by.
The hamhams hail from the Golden Forests, and are sometimes found in desert colonies and within the jungle canopies. They build great anthill-like structures out of local materials, clay, and adobe, and they excel at pottery and stonecarving. Over time, the landscape is transformed into a miracle of art and function, with great murals which tell the town's history and also house many citizens in their cubbyholes. The tunnels which connect them are tight and loop in strange yet logical organic patterns, and have taken on the appearance of a living web of blood vessels crossing through dirt and stone.
Hamhams are often very religious, dedicating themselves to gods of law and good. While religion is not mandatory, to not follow the social cues of others in their town often lead to them being excluded or seen as untrustworthy.
Hamhams speak Common and Sylvan, for they originated among the fey in ancient forests.
Hamham names have a love for the complex, with titles almost as part of their official names. From Baron Fairbanks Von Wickershine to Orrianna Pretta Dredeldroppen Lain Greavesparks, the fancy titles are a pain for some other beings. Understandably, they often pick up shorter names, nicknames, or pet names if their name proves too much of a tongue twister.
- -2 Strength, +2 Wisdom: Weak of body but wise and insightful, hamhams make up for their poor statue with a strong heart.
- Monstrous Humanoid: Fluffy and cute hamsters, they avoid being magical beasts only due to their bipedal nature.
- Small: As a Small creature, a hamham gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Hamham base land speed is 20 feet. climb 10 ft
- Darkvision: A hamham can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a hamham can function just fine with no light at all.
- Courage (Ex): Hamhams gain a +4 bonus on saves against fear. If they become immune to fear, they can grant this bonus to all allies within 10 ft of the hamham, stacking with other bonuses against fear. If the hamham is frightened or panicked, they can choose to forgo the usual penalties and become staggered for the duration instead.
- Crusader (Ex): Hamhams gain a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls against creatures with an alignment opposing them, or +2 if facing their exact opposite alignment. For true neutral hamhams, they choose of one of the four extremes to act as their exact opposite alignment (LG, CG, LE, or CE).
- Scent (Ex): Hamhams possess scent.
- Slight Build (Ex): The physical stature of hamhams lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a hamham is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the hamham is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A hamham is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A hamham can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a hamham remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
- Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will-detect chaos/evil/good/law (all four). If they gain an alignment detecting spell-like ability (such as from levels in paladin), they are treated as having concentrated all three rounds immediately.
- Skills: Hamhams have a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (Religion) and Sense Motive checks, and they are always class skills. They also gain a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks due to their climb speed.
- Weapon Familiarity: Hamhams treat the halberd, longsword, and sap as simple weapons, and the bastard sword, hand crossbow, and both light and heavy repeating crossbows as martial weapons (or bastard sword as simple two-handed).
- Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan
- Bonus Languages: Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, and Terran.
- Favored Class: Paladin or Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|30 years||50 years||60 years||+1d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 6"||+1d4||25 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||2' 4"||+1d4||20 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Paladin + and Ranger +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Wisdom + and -2 Strength +|
|Rated By||Luigifan18 +, DanielDraco + and Bhu +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||The hamhams are sapient hamster people with a strong sense of justice, a compassionate heart, and no tolerance for evil in a most unassuming frame. +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|