Huldra (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The natural world is not merely limited to our own land. Deep in the black void of space, things which would be called fey here weave plots and progeny of their own. On one distant forest covered world, strange alien fey have worked their arts to produce a creature of similar blood as they, yet stable in the relative calm mundanity of the prime material. These huldra are the children of alien fey, a race of satyr-like elves covered in soft thin patterned fur and with cloven hooves.
In the past the huldra were hunted, and they survived through quick wits, raw instinct, keen senses, and group tactics. As they grew to dominate their home world of Haldi, their primal behaviors manifested as a love for the tribe and a distrust for others. For the huldra, trust comes slow, but once given it is the strongest trust in the world. At the same time, these bonds can be easily broken as well, leaving many believing them passive aggressive. It is, if anything, a testament to their ancient fey heritage in a world dominated by extremes. Only by constant exposure to the outside world do these inheritors of the dramatic simmer down.
The huldra are what would be described as elves; thin and wiry with long pointed ears which are actually longer than your common high elf, and slightly animalistic. Their skin is covered in a thin fur which often gives them spotted patterns and natural colors ranging from various shades of brown, white, and even green. Those from polar climates even experience changes in fur color dependent on the season. They have no horns nor other animal features other than their feet, which end in surprisingly flexible cloven hooves, whose split can stretch and pinch to grab onto the rocky cliffsides and branches. They are generally shorter than humans, coming in on average around 5' to 5' 6" in height.
The huldra are surprisingly unstable genetically, and mutations are common. It has proven a problem as, besides the threat of cancer, they have found colonies who have left ages ago only to return as something not huldra. Sometimes these mutations actually transforms the huldra into a monster. The fear of mutation runs thick among them, and so breeding has become something tightly controlled in their society to prevent dangerous genes from persisting.
Because of the dramatics inherent in their culture, interactions with others have proven difficult. For them, they see others as strange, rude when they don't burst into celebration over gifts, and unnerving when they do not boil with rage when insulted. For others, they see them as excessive and dangerous. And there is some truth to that. Drama and diplomacy rarely mix, and so in recent history a trend to temper one's emotions and embrace more stoic and lawful minded activities has grown.
Huldra lean chaotic, and few are lawful. However in recent years some have tried to repress their outburst of emotion and such have embraced lawful lifestyles in spite of themselves.
Originally from the planet Haldi, the discovery of the Daoloth, a magical artifact from an unknown time, allowed the species to achieve great leaps in magic and to develop ships which could cross the stars. Now they can be found many places, often seeking the original fey-like creature which was believed to have spawned them. Because of their high genetic variability, many subraces have begun springing up around the galaxy.
The huldra have adopted a religion known as Door of Heaven, which worships the Daoloth and its mysteries. Some may find comfort in nature deities as well.
The huldra's fey nature is revealed through their knowledge of an alien but understandable form of Sylven. Those which travel have also picked up Common as well.
The huldra's native language is known to be "sing-songy" and names follow suit, using many vowels and letters which flow together smoothly. There seem to be little to no differentiating male and female names from sound alone.
- -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: One must be keen of eye and ear to survive when one is as fragile as a huldra.
- Humanoid (Xenoblooded): Humanoids from the alien planet of Haldi, their normal appearance cloaks their alien origins.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a huldra has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Huldra base land speed is 30 ft feet.
- Danger Sense (Ex): Huldra have an inherent sense of danger. They may roll twice for initiative and keep the better roll.
- Natural Skills: Huldra gain a +2 bonus on Hide, Move Silently, and Survival checks, and the bonus to hide and move silently rises to +4 in natural terrain. All skills are considered class skills.
- Spring Leg (Ex): Huldra always counts as having a running jump for the purposes of jump checks.
- Weapon Proficiency: Huldra are proficient in longbows (including composite longbows), shortbows (including composite shortbows), simple spears (including longspears and shortspears), and throwing axes.
- Woodland Stride (Ex): Huldra have Woodland Stride, as the class feature, which allows movement through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect them. If they gain this ability again, they may move through magically manipulated natural terrain as well.
- Zen Archery (Ex): Huldra may use their Wisdom modifier in place of Dexterity for the purpose of ranged attacks and pre-requisites which require Dexterity. If they take Weapon Finesse, they may use Wis instead of Dex there as well.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Sylven
- Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Elven, Ignan, Terran, Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Druid or Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||55 years||70 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 4"||+2d8||90 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 0"||+2d8||70 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Druid + and Ranger +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Constitution + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Summary||These huldra are the children of alien fey, a race of satyr-like elves covered in soft thin patterned fur and with cloven hooves. +|