Kerbal (3.5e Race)
Rate this article
Discuss this article
A group of little green men with oversized heads, strange biology, and endless patience and curiosity who hail from the distant planet of Kerbin. Their wanderlust and quest for knowledge drives them to explore the world around them, often in reckless and explosive ways.
Kerbals are strange beings. They have incredible patience yet seem often to lack wisdom or a sense of self preservation. They cheerfully throw themselves in harms way if it means they will learn more about that which they seek. Classically, their explorative natures have brought their gazes skyward and they have become rather infamous for performing dangerous missions into space, but this lust for danger and knowledge need not be limited to the realm of space. Often adventurers are born among them who put their goals towards exploring the hazards of the world and its monsters.
A kerbal is a small humanoid who appears to be mostly cylindrical head, sat atop a small and stubby body which somehow keeps their massive noggin afloat. Some suspect the head is mostly padding instead of brains given their excessive resistance to concussions, but this cannot be confirmed. Their eyes are large, bulging, and unblinking and believed to be protected by hardened transparent shells which protect their ocular organs.
They have green skin, and are believed to be plant or fungus based given their unusual biology which is capable of lasting extremely long periods of time in hibernation without food or water. It may be that their bodies, and perhaps their heads, are self contained biospheres which recycle their own contents and can persist in a slow state with sunlight, minerals, or even heat alone.
Male and female kerbals appear somewhat similar, with differences largely in hairstyle and eyelashes. The nature of how they reproduce with their unbalanced bodies is not something anyone wishes to think of. The rumor that they are indeed plants and are grown might also explain their relative lack of sanctity of life they have for others of their kind.
Kerbals love to explore and thus others provide fascinating research opportunities. Those who interact with kerbals should beware, for a kerbal is surprisingly careless with their life and the lives of others. Life is cheap, and they may not inherently comprehend the fragility of other species. Most of all, never trust kerbal technology. It will likely explode.
Kerbals are generally true neutral, but can be of any alignment.
Kerbals hail from Kerbin, a planet largely dominated by large grassy plains and deserts, with some mountains and ice caps at the poles. They favor temperate plain environments most of all.
Kerbal religion is a bit of a mystery, and they have shown no particular focus on any one god. Any alien god they have, they seem to be mum on the topic.
Kerbals speak loñapsE. Rumors that this is just Spanish backwards is unfounded.
Kerbals have many human names, but all use the last name of Kerman typically. This seems to suggest either the concept of families is not one which is held by kerbals, or that last names simply aren't a thing.
- -2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom: Short and durable, yet not too wise or they might stop to think what they are doing.
- Humanoid (Xenoblooded): Aliens from another world, they still fit the concept of "humanoid".
- Small: As a Small creature, a kerbal gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Kerbal base land speed is 20 feet.
- Bobblehead (Ex): Kerbals have huge heads. They are constantly under the effect of big head mode, except the armor check penalty decreases by one for each point of Dexterity modifier they have (minimum 0 at Dex 18).
- Danger Resistant (Ex): Kerbals have survived the most unusual things. They take half damage from any environmental source, such as falling damage or excessive heat. In addition they convert 1 point of damage per HD into non-lethal damage after it is halved. This resistance also applies to any explosions or other damage caused by crashes and other effects which are not directly attacks.
- Diehard: Kerbals gain Diehard as a bonus feat.
- Frightful Courage (Ex): Kerbals do not fear death! They gain one of the following two abilities:
- No Fear: The kerbal is immune to fear.
- Time to Panic: The kerbal takes a -4 penalty on Will saving throws against [Fear] effects. Whenever they would be frightened, they are shaken instead. Whenever they would be panicked or cowering, they are shaken and staggered instead. However their panic-prone mines make them unable to be controlled, rendering them immune to compulsions.
- Hibernation (Ex): A kerbal is capable of entering a meditative trance over the course of 5 rounds, after which they become only dimly aware of their surroundings and turn their thoughts to unknown flights of fancy. When hibernating, a kerbal does not age, eat, drink, or breathe. They are aware of their surroundings up to 60 ft, but no further, and rouse only after a full round action. They can be roused as an immediate action, often in response to damage, but are staggered for 1 round after if awoken in this manner.
- Light Sensitivity (Ex): Kerbals are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
- Semi-Plant (Ex): Kerbals count as both humanoids and plant creatures, and seem to be able to benefit from 8 hours of sunlight as a full meal.
- Skills: Kerbals gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft, Knowledge Engineering, Pilot, and Survival checks and gain free maximum ranks in one of these skills.
- Automatic Languages: Common, loñapsE
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|× (1d2) lb.
|× (1d2) lb.
|Effective Character Level
|3.5e Race +
|Racial Ability Adjustments
|-2 Strength +, +2 Constitution +, +2 Intelligence + and -2 Wisdom +
|A group of little green men with oversized …
A group of little green men with oversized heads, strange biology, and endless patience and curiosity who hail from the distant planet of Kerbin. Their wanderlust and quest for knowledge drives them to explore the world around them, often in reckless and explosive ways.hem, often in reckless and explosive ways. +