Kobold, Greatscale (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A mutation of kobold that grows to giant size. Well, giant for a kobold, for they barely are much larger than dwarves. Greatscale kobolds are indistinguishable from normal kobolds until they age and grow unusually quickly resulting in a larger than normal kobold of their kin. These giants sometimes become leaders of their tribes, but often they run into forced exile as they can no longer fit within the snug caverns and mineshafts associated with kobold kind. These greatscale kobolds become wandering adventurers seeking purpose in the world and bringing along with them the cunning and craftiness of kobolds with them.
The exact means which greatscale kobolds come into being is a mystery. It seems to happen randomly, and while two greatscales are much more likely to produce another greatscale, the end result may also be a normal kobold. And supposedly the status of greatscale may be gifted by divine edict or magical event. Perhaps it awakens something in the blood and forges the body anew into a form more fitting in size for a dragon.
As the black sheep, greatscale kobolds rarely feel as part of the group as any others do. This leads the greatscale to wander away on their own seeking purpose and place in the world, even when they remain within their original group. Conversely if a greatscale kobold finds a place to call home they will defend that home wherever, or whoever, it may be as if it were themselves.
Effectively nothing more than an oversized kobold, they trend to be thin and nimble. Many possess more pronounced draconic features such as bony spines, additional or more pronounced horns, or even tiny useless winglets, but otherwise they do not differ other than size.
Most kobolds view greatscales with some manner of awe or respect, but circumstances rarely swing in their favor as the world of kobolds is not built for them. For others, they might see the greatscale merely as some enlarged kobold and treat them as such, or confuse them for another species such as dragonborn. Due to their wandering natures, a great many have become rangers and, combine with their inherent nimble nature and love of crossbows and mechanical, and relatively silent, projectiles they have gotten a reputation of being stealth assassins and stalking hunters.
Greatscale kobolds can be of any alignment, but those closely associated with kobold tribes often share the alignment of their tribe or their patron dragons.
Originally from kobold havens and underground vaults greatscales do not often fit, sometimes literally. Thus they wander, and many take up life in the woods hunting instead.
It is not uncommon for greatscales or worship draconic deities, or actual dragons.
Greatscale kobolds speak Common and Draconic, having more experience with the outside world than their kin.
Greatscale kobolds retain traditional kobold names.
- -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity: As oversized kobolds they are tougher and stronger, but still physically weak and small compared to humans. They retain their nimble natures.
- Humanoid (Dragonblooded, Reptilian): Greatscale kobolds still are kobolds, and have the blood of dragons flowing within them.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a greatscale kobold has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Greatscale Kobold base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A greatscale kobold can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a greatscale kobold can function just fine with no light at all.
- Dragon Heritage: Greatscale Kobolds count their Charisma score as being +2 higher for the purpose of bonus spells per day for any spontaneous arcane casting classes, as well as pre-reqs. They count as 1st level sorcerers for pre-reqs. If you gain actual sorcerer levels, your sorcerer level increases by +1 as if you gained another level in sorcerer, up to a maximum of your HD.
- Feral Weapons (Ex): Greatscales have a Feral Strike (bite) and Feral Strike (claws).
- Natural Armor (Ex): Greatscales have a +1 natural armor bonus.
- Quick Stalker (Ex): Greatscales may be no faster than a kobold, but are just as nimble if not more. They may move at full speed without penalty when making a Hide check, or when following tracks with a Search check. They can also move up to half their movement speed while prone.
- Racial Skills: Greatscales have a +2 bonus to Craft, Hide, Move Silently, and Survival checks.
- Racial Weapons: Greatscales are proficient in light and heavy crossbows, and treat exotic crossbows as martial weapons.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic
- Bonus Languages: Gnome, Goblin, Sylvan, Terran, and Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Ranger or Sorcerer
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|30 years||50 years||70 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 0"||+2d4||80 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||3' 10"||+2d4||70 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Ranger + and Sorcerer +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength + and +2 Dexterity +|
|Subtype||Dragonblooded, Reptilian +|
|Summary||A mutation of kobold that grows to giant size. Well, giant for a kobold, for they barely are much larger than dwarves. +|
|Title||Kobold, Greatscale +|