Kobold, Skyfeather (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Feathered kobolds who live on cliffs, in deserts, and within tall trees. They can glide with the power of their primitive prototype wings. They are believed to be an offshoot race from the typical reptillian kobold which broke off at the same time as canine kobolds had broken off.
Skyfeather kobolds have a history of being skittish ambush predators, being too small and frail to succeed in a direct fight but taking advantage of tactics, numbers, and higher ground to their advantage. As a result they have grown into a very social species with a complex interplay of behaviors and quirks which those outside their circle may not immediately pick up. For others these strange habits are merely quirks, but for the skyfeather kobold they are practically instinct.
Skyfeather kobolds generally are cautious of others but curious, and seek to discover the nature of what they face so that they can either avoid or manipulate to their advantage. Said manipulation isn't always malicious, and many time it ends in beneficial friendships and arrangements, but some have stereotyped the race as opportunistic and craven. Its a stereotype not entirely without merit.
Small and thin with lightweight partially hallow bones, the skyfeather kobold looks like your typical kobold with patches of soft spines and brightly colored feathers as "hair" and "highlights", as well as their pinky which bends backwards and forms a bat-like stretch of skin and feathers along their forearm that can be folded in to conserve body heat and take up less space. Their tails are longer and more whip-like ending in feathered tufts and fans, and both hands and feet sport pronounced claws for gripping and tearing. Male feathering is more garish and brightly colored than females with their social structure promoting the flashiest and most impressive male as important. They can spread their feathered frilled on their head, neck, or back for the purpose of intimidation, flirting, or other emotional responses.
The need to be assured of safety leads skyfeather kobolds to naturally form alliances of convenience with others, though they have no particular biases towards who said allegiances are to. As long as they feel comfortable around their neighboors and their territory is unharmed they can be counted upon.
Skyfeather kobolds are typically true neutral, as they merely exist to survive and spread.
Skyfeather kobolds cannot fly, so to take advantage of their pseudo-wings they must find tall places such as cliffs, mountains, or trees, or places of great thermal potential such as some deserts to live within. Their coloration varies on environment.
Skyfeather kobolds have adopted the draconic deities, but also worship deities of the air and sky, and any of community, cunning, and surprise.
Skyfeather kobolds speak Draconic. Those exposed to other cultures (such as most PCs) also start with Common.
Skyfeather kobold names sound more like flowery titles, such as Eater-Of-Shells or High-Flier. These are their public names while they have a more personal private name which is technically a nickname they accept and stick with.
- -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma: Weak and lightweight for flight, they remain nimble for the skies and are well adjusted for social situations.
- Humanoid (Reptilian): Feathers aside, skyfeather kobolds are still reptiles of a sort. Some claim they are more akin to certain ancient dinosaurs.
- Small: As a Small creature, a skyfeather kobold gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Skyfeather Kobold base land speed is 30 feet. Climb 15 ft
- Feathered Glide (Ex): Skyfeather kobolds reduce falling damage by a number of dice equal their HD squared (so 1d6, 4d6, 9d6, 16d6, etc). At 5 HD they unlock the ability to glide, a sort of fly speed which can only go down with distance. They gain an effective fly speed of 30 ft (average), dropping 5 ft in altitude with every move action. At 10 HD it becomes 60 ft per 5 ft, and at 15 HD it becomes 90 ft per 5 ft. They typically climb and launch themselves from high surfaces, but they can take advantage of upward winds or strong thermals with a successful DC 20 Balance check (or Fly check if using Pathfinder), typically gaining altitude up to 1/2th of their speed. Skyfeather kobolds can only make use of their wings in light or no armor.
- Flare Crest (Ex): Skyfeather kobolds can flare their crests to Intimidate creatures out to 30 ft. Creatures with 2 or less Int are particularly affected by this, taking a -4 penalty on the check to resist and making the kobold seem as if it grew one size category larger.
- Feral Strike Claws: Skyfeather kobolds have a feral strike (claws) which deals 1d6 damage with 19-20/x2 critical, and can be made with either hand or feet claws. Their feet claws allow them to grip surfaces as if they were hands for the purpose of climbing. Mundane footwear blocks this ability, but magic footwear shapes to adapt to their feet.
- Slight Build (Ex): Their physical stature lets them function in many ways as if you were one size category smaller. Whenever they are subject to a size modifier or special size modifier, they are treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to them. They can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, their space and reach remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this ability stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Skills: Skyfeather kobolds have a +4 racial bonus on Jump and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. They can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. Skyfeather kobolds always have Balance (or Fly if using Pathfinder) and Jump checks as class skills.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic
- Bonus Languages: Auran, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Sylvan
- Favored Class: Rogue or Sorcerer
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||70 years||+1d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 8"||+2d4||20 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||2' 8"||+2d4||15 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Rogue + and Sorcerer +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength +, +2 Dexterity +, -2 Constitution + and +2 Charisma +|
|Summary||Feathered kobolds who live on cliffs, in deserts, and within tall trees. They can glide with the power of their primitive prototype wings. +|
|Title||Kobold, Skyfeather +|