Kuklop (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Lesser cyclops believed to be half-breeds from giant humanoids of times past, the kuklop share more in common with their smaller kin than giants. They retain the Cyclops key feature though, a single round eye rather than a pair.
The kuklop lives in a strange position. Mocked by giants for being too small, feared by humans for being too large and having a single eye. They are given a strange wisdom and yet their perception of reality suffers from a lack of depth perception. Then tend to be untrustworthy of others and brutish and irritable as few would respect them for who they are. Those that do often befriend them find a valiant ally willing to step in the way of danger. Respect is slow to come, but once set it is hard to break.
Kuklops are either unusually small giants or large humans, ranging from 6 to 7 feet tall. Their body structure is humanoid, able to support the range of body types of humanity from thin, muscled, fat, and otherwise. Their ears are slightly pointed as half-elves, suggesting possible elven origin for their smaller size. And of course, the eye.
Their one eye takes up the middle of their forehead and is larger than a single human eye. The eye is often expressive and round, with a mono-brow present overhead. Their noses tend to be very small, with average sized mouths. Rarely, a species will develop one or two horns from the tops of their heads, always very short and stubby.
Hair tends to be naturally short and hair, skin, and eye color come in various human shades. If it weren't for the eye, a smaller kuklop could pass as a tall human easily.
Kuklops rarely find any comfort in giant societies, where size matters. They find some tolerance in humanoid areas where their size and strength is useful, but they tend to be intimidating and feared often for those not used to the presence of the strange and fanciful. Once those ties are made, they become stalwart defenders of the land; often against the very giants who reject them.
Kuklops can be any alignment but seem to have a trend towards chaotic alignments, possibly due to ancient titan blood.
Kuklops can be usually found in the same lands as giants can, especially places of large terrain, mountains and fields, islands, and any place fruitful enough to handle their giant-sized apatite.
Kuklops have no unified religion but do fit in with diviners of any religious orientation.
Kuklops speak Common and Giant.
Kuklop names fit the area they are born in, with either human or giant names.
- +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Clumsy and gruff does not a friendly giant make, but none can deny their strength nor their subtle but potent ability to foresee future events.
- Giant: Kuklops are giants, even if they are on a more human scale.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a kuklop has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Kuklop base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A kuklop can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Divination Mastery (Ex): Kuklops gain a +1 CL to all divination spells, including the spell-like abilities from farseeing.
- Farseeing (Sp): Kuklops can see into the future with their single eye. They get to use augury 3 + Wis modifier/day (minimum 1). At 4th level, they may expend two uses of this ability to duplicate divination. At 8th, they may expend three uses to gain scrying, though they do not need a focus and only they see the events occurring. At 12th level they may expend four uses to gain true seeing. The saving throws are Wisdom based.
- Mono-Eye (Ex): Kuklops have poor depth perception and are more easily blinded. They cut the range of their spells and ranged attacks in half (minimum 5 ft).
- Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of kuklops lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a kuklop is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the kuklop is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A kuklop is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A kuklop can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Rock Catching (Ex): A kuklop of at least Large size can catch Small, Medium, or Large rocks (or projectiles of similar shape). Once per round, a kuklop that would normally be hit by a rock can make a Reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for a Small rock, 20 for a Medium one, and 25 for a Large one. (If the projectile provides a magical bonus on attack rolls, the DC increases by that amount.) The kuklop must be ready for and aware of the attack in order to make a rock catching attempt.
- Rock Throwing (Ex): Kuklops are accomplished rock throwers and receive a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls when throwing rocks. They can hurl rocks weighing 40 to 50 pounds each (Small objects) up to five range increments, typically dealing 2d6 damage plus Strength and a half (if two-handed). Rocks have a range increment of 20 ft. The penalties for mono-eye are already accounted for.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Giant
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Barbarian
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||80 years||+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 11"||+2d12||180 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||5' 6"||+2d12||125 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Barbarian +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength +, -2 Dexterity +, +2 Constitution +, +2 Wisdom + and -2 Charisma +|
|Summary||Lesser cyclops believed to be half-breeds from giant humanoids of times past, the kuklop share more in common with their smaller kin than giants. They retain the Cyclops key feature though, a single round eye rather than a pair. +|