Lacrimon (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Spicy plant lizard people with an intimidating frill, often found in jungles.
The lacrimon were originally native among the savage temples and jungles of ancient humanoids, where the poisoned bodies of war victims were surrendered to the gods upon great pyres and after bloody sacrifices. Born on a carnivorous diet, when the civilization fell the hungry early lacrimon was forced into an ambulatory existence. While most assume plant creatures to be slow, plodding, or peaceful, the lacrimon are a species who survive the brutal jungle environments. This makes them proud hunters, warriors, and trappers. It also won them no favors with others, as many assume them to be barbarians.
Lacrimon think in short terms of how to ensure their basic needs, and often become puzzled on what else they need beyond their own basic comforts and securities. Those who have escaped the primitive living lifestyle usually turn to art, transforming their utility tools and weapons in armor into ornate but functional creations. They also keep an oral tradition of history through song and dance, these stories abstract and metaphorical but hauntingly beautiful.
A lacrimon is a plant based creature with a humanoid body with digitigrade legs, lizard-like balancing tail, and hunched over form that makes them look like a cross between a hunchbacked man and a velociraptor. Their bodies are covered in leafy scales, and a mane of petals around their neck. Their faces are marked with stripes, spots, and other colors each unique to each and every lacrimon, with large almond shaped eyes and a anthromorphic serpentine visage. When startled, angry, or intimidating its mane stands up and expands revealing the full pattern upon it, typically decked out in the vague shape of a predatory face. When its crest is expanded, it is often a sign that the lacrimon will spray its opponent with its painful stinging toxin.
Lacrimon are often found perched within trees, soaking in the sun above the treeline and using the high ground to drop upon prey and devour them. When needed they can root themselves to soft fertile soil using the root-like hairs that line their tails.
Lacrimon are usually territorial and insular, but circumstances can sometimes displace a lacrimon from its native home. In these circumstances wandering lacrimon scatter to the winds, each to settle a new area and attempt to make a new tribe of their own. Others may travel in search of other tribes for the purposes of love and reproduction. And some wander as a means of finding purpose after finding stability in life.
The brutal life of a lacrimon promotes non-lawful behavior, though it is often not unheard of lacrimon holding tight to their own cultural concepts of honor.
Lacrimon were born within the jungle, but are hardy enough to exist in many places. They prefer places of great sunlight, water, or bloodshed, or all three in equal measure.
Lacrimon religion is obscured, for while the songs and dances of ancient histories remain intact, they have been altered and modified over 1000 generations and obscured by metaphor and myth. Many tell distorted versions of ancient gods of bloodshed and sunlight, tales of wars between ancient titans, and great cycles of nature.
Lacrimon speak Common and Sylvan.
Lacrimon names can only be described as "Aztec" in nature, and are difficult to spell.
- +2 Strength or +2 Dexterity or +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence: Academic interests are not commonly found among the lacrimon, who hone their bodies to be the strongest, nimblest, and toughest beings around.
- Plant (Sapblood): Ambulatory plants whose mobility robs them of some of their plant like traits.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a lacrimon has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Lacrimon base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A lacrimon can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Biting Spray (Ex): Lacrimon are naturally poisonous, and can spray a potent chemical out to 20 ft with a composition not unlike pepper spray as a standard action. All creatures with eyes or exposed soft mucus surfaces in a 20 ft line must make a Fortitude save or be afflicted with pain, taking a -2 penalty to attack and AC for 1 minute, save negates. They can produce this poison up to 1 + their Constitution modifier times per day (minimum 1), and the save DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + Con based. They can only spray when their crest is unfurled. However, if swallowed they can also discharge their poison, crest or not, to their swallower as an immediate action. Lacrimon are immune to the spray of other lacrimon. This is considered a Pain effect.
- Crest of Fear (Ex): As a swift action, a lacrimon can unfurl or collapse its crest which is very bright and visible, reducing all Hide attempts by -8. However they gain a +2 bonus on Intimidate, which rises to +4 against creatures of Int 2 or lower. They may make intimidation checks out to 30 ft. While their crest is unfurled they make a bigger target and their AC drops by -1.
- Racial Skills: Lacrimon have a +4 bonus to Climb checks, and if they fail a Climb check by 5 or more, they do not risk falling as long as they are conscious due to their gripping foot claw. They also have a +4 bonus to Balance checks for remaining on thin surfaces such as a tightrope.
- Racial Weapon Proficiency: Lacrimon are proficiency in all simple forms of the spear, armor spikes, the greatclub, shortbow, and net.
- Soft Landing (Ex): So long as a lacrimon intentionally jumps, they can convert any two dice of falling damage into non-lethal damage.
- Verminfriend (Ex): Lacrimon lived among vermin within their jungle homes. Thus, any mindless vermin swarms of any HD or vermin or 4 HD or less do not consider lacrimons a valid threat and will ignore them. This effect is broken if the lacrimon makes aggressive action against the vermin, or if they are otherwise commanded or controlled by an outside intelligence or source.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan
- Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Terran
- Favored Class: Barbarian or Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|30 years||60 years||90 years||+3d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 5"||+2d6||80 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d6||75 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Barbarian + and Ranger +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength or +2 Dexterity or +2 Constitution + and -2 Intelligence +|
|Summary||Spicy plant lizard people with an intimidating frill, often found in jungles. +|