Lesser Scorpionfolk (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Taurics born in the harsh desert, lesser scorpionfolk are half human, half scorpions. They are related to, but ultimately different from scorpionfolk. While not as strong, they are much more varied and have more potential. There are also a few biological differences, but ultimately they belong to the same species.
The scorpionfolk and lesser scorpionfolk were once one; lawful evil bandits of the desert, luring travelers into traps and looting from civilization for easy pickings. It is a civilization based on the rule of those who can survive by strength or guile, with a hierarchy and laws to keep lesser castes in their place barring the extraordinary. It was precisely this set up which fueled the seeds of rebellion. The lesser scorpionfolk were weaker and frailer, and as a result a racial divide formed between the elite and the rabble. Tensions rose, and the tales speak of a charismatic lesser scorpionfolk who spurred the fires of revolution. After a bloody fight, the lesser scorpionfolk found freedom from the bonds of tyranny, and so they roamed the desert ever wary to avoid their vicious kin, and struggling each day to survive.
It is this backing which instilled the lesser scorpionfolk with a need to be free to move, nomadic tendencies, and a healthy dose of paranoia of others. They are not as vicious as their sister race, but they do not make friends easily. They value their privacy and secrecy among all else.
Lesser scorpionfolk greatly resemble normal scorpionfolk in many ways. They are humanoids from the waist up, and scorpions from the waist down. Their skin is waxy and gray, and eyes remain entirely black and shine as if covered with a million tiny lenses. Unlike scorpionfolk, their legs are not a strange amalgamation of claws and humanoid hands, but more proper scorpion legs, though they retain "arms" in the two huge pincers in front. They also have a powerful curved scorpion tail brimming with poison. They're adapted to hot, arid climates and movement on the sand.
Lesser scorpionfolk and normal scorpionfolk kill each other on sight, but for other races their reactions are more reserved. A lesser scorpionfolk typically seeks to avoid trouble, and thus contact with others, save for the purposes of business and nomadic travelers. They prefer to set up peaceful means of sustaining themselves, but are not about banditry. More importantly is that they seek to gather more than they need, for what they gain in excess is taken and sorted in innumerable "caches" hidden buried in the desert. A carefully guarded secret amongst the nomadic lesser scorpionfolk, these caches act as underground oasis where one can hide out, sleep, and draw from in time of need. A lesser scorpionfolk is free to do as he wishes, but this one rule remains fast: to give more than you take, to store of another day.
Because of their nomadic lifestyle, they fit best with other nomads, or chaotic beings who they can trust not to become involved in tyranny.
Lesser scorpionfolk trend towards chaotic neutral alignment. Do what ye will, but harm none unless ye must.
Lesser scorpionfolk live in the arid sand covered deserts all around the world. Because of this they often conflict with the native scorpionfolk living there.
Lesser scorpionfolk do not have a unified religion, though some worship the one who liberated them as a god. Any other worship often falls into druidic sorts, worshiping the sun, moon, wind, and earth.
Lesser scorpionfolk speak Common and Terran.
Lesser scorpionfolk names are a mix of indian and arabic tongues, often lending themselves to length and complexity, without a last name to act as a family name.
- +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence: There's no time to learn in the desert, you must train your body to survive the rigors of the wastes.
- Monstrous Humanoid: Scorpionfolk are half human and half scorpion.
- As a Large (long) creature, a lesser scorpionfolk takes a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, a +4 size bonus on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, but it uses larger weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are twice of those of a Medium character. They have a space of 10 feet and a reach of 5 feet.
- Lesser Scorpionfolk base land speed is 40 feet. They also have a burrow speed of 10 feet, which they use to get to their hidden cache lairs.
- Darkvision: A 60 can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a Lesser Scorpionfolk can function just fine with no light at all.
- Lesser scorpionfolk have a +4 natural armor bonus.
- Desert Born (Ex): Lesser scorpionfolk do not treat sand or other loose materials as difficult terrain. In addition, they are treated as if being under endure elements, but only for heat.
- Immunities (Ex): Lesser scorpionfolk are immune to poison, and to desiccation damage.
- Natural Weapons (Ex): Lesser scorpionfolk have two primary claws (1d6, 20/x2) and one secondary tail sting attack (1d8/x2). The tail delivers the poison listed below.
- Poison (Ex): 1d4 Dex/1d4 Dex. The saving throw is 10 + 1/2 character level + Constitution modifier.
- Tight Claw (Ex): Lesser scorpionfolk recieve an additional +4 on grapple checks. This is in addition to the +4 they gain from being Large.
- Racial Hit Die: A lesser scorpionfolk's monstrous humanoid levels provide it 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throws of Fort +0, Reflex +3, and Will +3.
- Racial Skills: A lesser scorpionfolk's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (2+Int modifier). Its class skills are Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival.
- Racial Feats: A lesser scorpionfolk's monstrous humanoid levels give it one feat.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Terran.
- Bonus Languages: Any.
- Favored Class: Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||55 years||75 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 10"||+3d10||240 lb.||× (3d4) lb.|
|Female||6' 0"||+3d10||260 lb.||× (3d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Ranger +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+4 Strength +, +2 Constitution + and -2 Intelligence +|
|Summary||Taurics born in the harsh desert, lesser scorpionfolk are half human, half scorpions. +|
|Title||Lesser Scorpionfolk +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|