Ludros (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Slender and meditative yet playful otter-humanoids, who cultivate the art of hydromancy.
Being both jocose and contemplative, they are a pleasant company to be around. Their cultural tendency is to cultivate peace of mind and perfection of the body, especially through contact with water, both physically and mistically, being taught to perform exercises and meditation since a young age. On the other hand they are very jovial people, always looking for fun activities and company. They are also very curious and active, especially when young and love to play in the water.
They look like humanoid otters, sometimes with plain brown or black fur, sometimes spotted or with lighter colour, either in localized parts (such as the head) or on most of the body. They wear lightweight clothes, which can be easily removed for swimming. They use pale colors to dye their clothing, especially those that recall water, such as blue and green, but also yellow, pink, white and grey.
They are not much known in the human, dwarven and orcish society, while they have relationships with other aquatic races, gnomes and halflings, though they tend not to trade much, being mostly autarchic and very frugal in their lifestyle. They produce and gather their own resources and are quite adept at making tools and items from shells, even armors and weapons. They make and buy pieces of art for religious purposes and exchange them with their neighbours. They have great esteem for aquatic elves and similar water fairies.
Combining a playful attitude and a very contemplative culture, ludroi end up usually being neutral or neutral good (not many choose to walk the path of evil, nor they are inclined to), but many that decide to take the mantle of monk are become lawful. Some may be chaotic, giving in in their cheerful side.
Ludroi are semi-nomadic, living alongside rivers, lakes and sometimes oceans, especially at low altitude. They live in villages made of mud and canes, sometimes on the water with stilt houses. Their diet is mainly fish and mollusks, so they to live near water as often as possibile. Like farmers give rest to their farmland, changing crops or leaving it uncultivated, so ludroi leave their settlement from time to time to give their food sources time to grow again.
They don't have any specific religion, but they traditionally revere water, water spirits and water gods, while also cultivating their inner selves. Some broaden their faith with nature deities, or even other gods.
They speak Common to be able to communicate with most races, but also learn Divetongue, which is a language that may be used to communicate underwater. Sometimes they learn Aquan and Sylvan for religious purposes and Gnomes and Halfling for commercial and diplomatic reasons.
They have simple names in Aquan, made from two or three sillables with many l, r and s. They also have nicknames in Aquan or Sylvan that translates to things like "Stillwater", "Shelldive", "River-rush" and such. They use their tribe's name as surnames. The plural of ludros is ludroi.
- +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence: Ludroi are meditative and insightful, but don't cultivate logic reasoning much.
- Humanoid (Anthro): They are humanoid otters, not quite animals, not quite humans.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a ludros has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Ludros base land speed is 20 feet. 30 feet swim speed. A ludros can move through water at its swim speed without making Swim checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
- Bite (feral strike): Ludroi have a bite feral strike with statistics presented below.
- Hold Breath (Ex): A ludros can hold its breath for a number of minutes equal to its Constitution score (minimum 1) before it risks drowning.
- Hydroplay (Ex): Ludroi have an affinity with water and may choose one of the following benefits:
- River Mysticism: A ludros with this feature has a +1 to the DC of [Water] effects and gain the Divetongue Casting feat for free.
- Slick Fur: Ludroi have a water-insulating and slick fur coating, which allows them to never be wet, except externally, granting a +1 racial bonus to saves against liquids or similar substances that affect by touch, and gives them a +2 racial bonus to Escape Artist checks.
- Slight Build (Ex): A ludros' physical stature lets it function in many ways as if it was one size category smaller. Whenever it's subject to a size modifier or special size modifier, the ludros is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to it. It can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, its space and reach remain those of a creature of its actual size. The benefits of this feature stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Divetongue
- Bonus Languages: Aquan, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan
- Favored Class: Bender of Water or Monk
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
1. See Damage Increases by Size to calculate the damage for a weapon larger than Medium or smaller than Small.
2. Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A Small weapon weighs half as much, and a Large weapon weighs twice as much.
3. When two types are given, the weapon is both types if the entry specifies "and", either type (player's choice at time of attack) if the entry specifies "or", or each end of the double weapon is a different type if the entry specifies "/".
4. The hp value given is for Medium armor, weapons, and shields. Divide by 2 for each size category of the item smaller than Medium, or multiply it by 2 for each size category larger than Medium.
- Ludros Piscator: The racial class of ludroi, which enhances their natural abilities as underwater hunters and fishers.
- Ludros Rivermaster: An alternate monk progression for ludroi, which specializes in water manipulation and deepens the race's mystical connection to water.
Add a +2 to Dexterity for Pathfinder games.
Simple Racial Traits
These are racial traits for use with the simplified races rules.
- Humanoid (Anthro)
- Base land speed of 20 feet. Swim speed of 30 feet.
- Combat Ability - Water Whip Bending: As a supernatural ability you can use a pound of water on you or adjacent to you to produce a water whip which counts as light weapon with reach that deals 1d6 + Dexterity or Wisdom modifier of Water damage. Activating this ability requires a swift action and the whip lasts one minute.
- Passive Ability - Slight Build: You are considered one size smaller whenever it would be advantageous to you.
- Utility Ability - Squishy: Once per minute you can use a swift action to gain a bonus on Escape Artist checks or grapple checks made to escape a grapple equal to your HD.
|the bluez in the dungeonv|
|Author||the bluez in the dungeon +|
|Cost||— gp +|
|Damage Type||Piercing + and Slashing +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Bender of Water + and Monk +|
|Hit Points||10 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Wisdom + and -2 Intelligence +|
|Size||Medium + and Light +|
|Summary||Slender and meditative yet playful otter-humanoids, who cultivate the art of hydromancy. +|