Malakh (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Least of the beings we would call angels, these reborn souls are not yet composed of purity of essence yet take the shape of the divine messangers themselves. They are born from the souls of the dead who have reincarnated into a new form; the memories of their history faded away as they seek greater forms of purity in their state. They are often tasked by gods as divine messangers or as workers upon the mortal world as they are capable of suppressing their true nature to a point.
The classic malakh is a being of the upper realms of law and good, and it is their forms that we go in depth with. However, malakh are not limited to this one alignment and they exist one for each plane.
Formed when a soul seeks to become more like the plane they reside in, their existance is by nature one of extremes. For how can one aspire to be good, to be lawful, to be chaotic or evil or any other shade if one does not strive for them with all one's heart. Perhaps it is this quest for purification that causes malakh to sometimes become more zealous than the angels or other outer beings they aspire to become. For while an angel or a devil is inherently good or evil down to the flesh, the malakh retains some humanity and such overcompensates to make up for what they lack. It is a common event, and a common stumbling block, which can weigh down a malakh from progressing further until the day they can find the right path and ascend in full.
A malakh is a humanoid which resembles the humanoid soul who spawned it into being, but blessed with wings and often taller or more imposing than they were in life. They are partly composed of alignment itself, and so a malakh displays evidence of their alignment on their bodies: beings of Law often seem mechanical and metalic, beings of Good are blessed with halos and shine with dim light, beings of Chaos have multicolored skin which shifts when they move, beings of Evil have leathery bat wings and horns, and other such displays of unnatural biology.
Born from a soul longing for purity a malakh is born into adulthood immediately, fresh and unexperienced but ready to achieve their desires. It is not long after "birth" that they begin to seek purpose and are often sent upon divine missions to prove their worth and understanding of the philosophy they stand for.
Malakh can be male, female, or even lack a gender at all. They do not reproduce in the traditional manner, though it is rumored that those with genders may be capable. This, however, is often considered a sin for it is indulging in human virtues and vices and is chaining oneself to the cycle of the material world. The beings born from this union may be twisted forms of the philosophy they once were born to represent, or appear in the form of aasimar or tieflings.
When a malakh is outside of the outer plane they were spawned from, they are most likely on a mission. It is the nature of that mission which determines their relations with others. Many see malakh as dangerously dedicated to their cause, and though the cause may align with themselves they should take care to reign in the zeal of these neophyte outer beings. Others may see them as a blessing, for there is no greater friend than a malakh ally coming to one in a time of need. Truely, it is a sign that the gods have listened, and sent you an avatar to aid. Regardless, the appearance of a malakh is often a big deal, and so many malakh hide their presence for many times their mission is one of covert and subtle action.
Malakh can be any alignment and often retain that alignment with zeal. Malakh are not yet composed of alignment, and thus can change alignment, but this is a rare case and reportedly very painful, as their bodies readjust to fill themselves with new alignment based pseudomatter to adjust. Few things are as dreadful and dangerous as a malakh scarred by betrayal of their alignment. True neutral malakh are exceedingly rare; they tend towards extremes.
Malakh are natives to the outer planes.
As produces of the outer planes it is no surprise that malakh are often very religious, sometimes dedicated to a specific god which may have ascended them into existance in the first place.
Malakh speak Common and either Abyssal, Celestial, or Infernal based on alignment.
Malakh's only common naming structure is their use of titles, and ending their names with "-el".
- +4 to any attribute, +2 to any attribute: Perfected purified forms of mortals, malakh have ascended things such as penalties and flaws.
- Outsider (Extraplanar): Malakh are extraplanar outsiders born from the outer planes.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a malakh has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Malakh base land speed is 30 feet. fly 30 ft (average)
- Darkvision: A malakh can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a malakh can function just fine with no light at all.
- Aligned Body (Ex): Though not entirely composed of aligned essence, the malakh still displays traits of the alignment within them. Whatever alignment they are, they may count as possessing the alignment subtype appropriate. Thus, a lawful good malakh would have the Law and Good subtypes for all purposes. They also display at least two obvious minor traits which are unnatural such as abnormal skin tone, glowing eyes or body no brighter than a torch, a deep booming voice, horns, scales, flaming hair, halos, background singing, or other effects. The effects should be no stronger than the effects of a non-instantaneous cantrip. If the malakh ever changes alignment, they immediately take 3d10 points of damage and suffer a -2 penalty on all rolls for 1 week, or until atonement is cast to return them to their alignment or fix them in their new alignment. Regardless if they survive, any who willingly change are always visibly marked, "scarred", that they have betrayed their kin. They are immune to any hazardous environmental effects of their native plane. Lastly as they retain traces of their former humanity they may be raised and revived as if they were a native outsider.
- Alternate Form (Su): A malakh can adopt the form of any humanoid as if using alter self. In this state the traits of their aligned body and wings are suppressed.
- Aura of Awe and Terror (Su): For those not already aware of the malakh's nature or appearance, their true form and the burst of alignment which comes with them can be a shock. When ambushing an opponent in a surprise round or revealing one's true nature to one unaware, all creatures within 60 ft must make a Will save DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma, or be rendered shaken for 1 round/level, save negates. This is a mind affecting fear effect, and creatures of the opposing alignments take a cumulative -2 penalty on the save for each alignment they oppose.
- Damage Reduction (Ex): Choose one opposing alignment. A malakh gains damage reduction/alignment equal to 2 + half their HD.
- Divine Gift (Su): Choose one of the following abilities based on your alignment.
- Chaos: You gain the ability to smite law 1/day as the paladin's smite ability, as a paladin level equal to your HD. In addition, 2/day you may choose to reroll any d20 roll as a non-action. You must accept the results of the second roll.
- Evil: You gain the ability to smite good 1/day as the paladin's smite ability, as a paladin level equal to your HD. In addition, 2/day you may choose to force a -4 profane penalty on any one of your opponent's d20 rolls as long as they are within reach as a non-action.
- Good: You gain the ability to smite evil 1/day as the paladin's smite ability, as a paladin level equal to your HD. In addition, 2/day you may choose to add a +4 sacred bonus to one of your d20 rolls or to any ally within your reach as a non-action.
- Law: You gain the ability to smite chaos 1/day as the paladin's smite ability, as a paladin level equal to your HD. In addition, 2/day you may choose to take 10 on any d20 roll even in a stressful situation as a non-action.
- Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will- detect alignment.
- Automatic Languages: Common and either Abyssal, Celestial, or Infernal
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Cleric
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|N/A years||N/A years||N/A years||+Unlimited years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 0"||+2d10||150 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||5' 8"||+2d10||130 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Cleric +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+4 Any Attribute + and +2 Any Attribute +|
|Summary||Least of the beings we would call angels, these reborn souls are not yet composed of purity of essence yet take the shape of the divine messangers themselves. +|