Nocturne Elf (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Nocturne elves are tall gaunt beings associated with a moon deity long missing. They hear the whispers in the dark, and gain powers under the light of the moon.
Hidden within the night are the nocturne elves, gaunt and mysterious elves associated with the moon and the night. They often come off as serious and callous, always plotting some scheme and weaving some thread of fate for good or for ill, none can say. It's said they are natural diviners, but this foresight gives them a certain air of disconnection and callousness for those living in the present.
While the high elf may pose itself as perfection of the humanoid form, the nocturne elf seems to forgo the classic beauty of the elven race. They are tall, gaunt, and possess thin faces with often long, wispy, or sometimes non-existent hair. They may have bony or gnarled ridges on their face or body that gives them a more feral look, and their ears are longer and sharper than most. Their eyes come in many colors and as they age they seem to cloud over into a single blank color devoid of a pupil, though this does not effect their sight. Their skin comes in strange hues of pale white, gray, blues, and purples. This, along with their habit of stirring during night hours, often gets them confused with drow much to their chagrin. However, they prefer the surface and exposure to the night sky.
It is said that the nocturne elves were once as any high elf, but they turned away from the classic elven gods of nature, archery, and art and took to following strange eldritch beings associated with the moon. The moon subsequently blessed them with her gifts, and gave them longer ears to hear the whispers of the things in the dark and the secrets of the void that no mortal could hear. The nature of this entity, or its religion, is long lost. But one day it is said their patron will return to the world and once against speak directly upon them.
Because of their association with the dark, their more monstrous appearance compared to most elves, and their shady history with unknown and suspect entities, nocturne elves have a poor stereotype of them being assassins, thieves, double crossers, or otherwise of ill repute. While many have chosen to simply live their lives in spite of it, some have embraced what others claim them to be. With their power of whispers and the wisdom of the moon, they prove to be effective spies and saboteurs for anyone willing to pay the price. Such communities often build tightly knit families, and the offense of one often turns out an offense to all so any who wish to parley with the nocturne elves must do so with care.
Subsequently, amongst themselves the concept of family is important to them. For outsiders, gaining trust is hard but once given, having their support is certain. And consequently breaking their trust is sure to gain an enemy for their very long life. Thus nocturne elves have also been associated with crime families and the mafia.
Nocturne elves can be any alignment, but their perchance for stalking and subterfuge goes promote more unlawful and non-good activities.
Nocturne elves once inhabited wooded glades and misty planes from which they would build cryptic stone megaliths in order to communicate with their ancient gods. However these days most have integrated into the city, walking the streets when all others have gone to bed.
While the ancient and forgotten religions of the original nocturne elves have been largely forgotten, gods of the moon, night, darkness, secrecy, and trickery are often revered in their place.
Nocturne Elves speak Common and Elven.
As elves, they retain typical elven names.
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: Nimble yet frail as most elves are, they also excel in their intensely attuned senses.
- Humanoid (Elf): Nocturne elves are, well, still elves.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a nocturne elf has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Nocturne Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A nocturne elf can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a nocturne elf can function just fine with no light at all.
- Low-Light Vision: A nocturne elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Blindsense (Ex): A nocturne elf's keen sense of hearing grants them blindsense out to 5 ft.
- Immunities (Ex): Like many elves, nocturne elves are immune to sleep spells. They also gain a +2 bonus on saving throws against illusions with auditory components.
- Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds nocturne elves for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
- Moon Grip (Ex): Whenever under the light of the moon, full or no, nocturne elves gain the ability to stick to surfaces and arrest their fall by manipulating the direction of their gravity on surface. It effectively gives them spider climb at night, but they don't need any more than 1 limb in order to stay in place. Even during the day, a nocturne elf who fails a climb check does not fall unless the climb check was a natural 1.
- Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will-message; 1/day-augury (only at night), whispering wind.
- Skills: Nocturne elves get a +2 bonus to Climb, Hide, Listen, and Move Silently checks.
- Weapon Proficiency (Ex): Nocturne elves are proficient with blowgunsDMG, daggers, kukris, rapiers, saps, and short swords.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Elven.
- Bonus Languages: Goblin, Necril, Orc, Sylvan, and Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Cleric or Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|200 years||300 years||400 years||+2d100 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 0"||+2d12||120 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 10"||+2d12||85 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Cleric + and Ranger +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Dexterity +, -2 Constitution + and +2 Wisdom +|
|SRD||Rapier (disambiguation) +|
|Summary||Nocturne elves are tall gaunt beings associated with a moon deity long missing. They hear the whispers in the dark, and gain powers under the light of the moon. +|
|Title||Nocturne Elf +|