Novaen (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A race of energy beings from beyond the stars. Novaen are powered by nuclear fusion, allowing them o feed on it for sustenance or to manifest great abilities. Novaen are native energy beings who used to live around a star, however the star eventually exploded in supernova killing most of them. Now all the remaining Novaen are descendant of rogue groups and loners, adopted by other races. Novaen are powerful xenothric outsider and are of extraterrestrial origin, their innate capabilities put the average member of the specie ahead expertly trained members of mortal races.
Novane's bodies seem to be made o light and energy bound by a powerful force. They are able to manipulate their own body energy consciously, allowing them to fire the dreaded Nova blast, fly, rearrange their molecular structure, turn invisible and more. Luckily a novaen child won't know right away her origin, only discovering it by unlocking their energy form, a process that is unique for each young novaen.
Novaen tries their best at adapting to their adopted culture, many do not even know their heritage and live as the average member of it adopted race. Usually novaen are otherwise very diverse in personality, more often than not shaped by whatever culture adopted them. They are however always a little alien, their mind simply do not work quite the way the mind of most humanoid work, often putting them at odd with members of their adapted race. Those that discover their true heritage tend to accept it pretty well, most prefer to keep in touch with their adopted family and protect them. A few however do turn bitter, those were often rejected for their incredible skills even at early age (six outsider level tend to do that).
Novaen are capable of controlling their molecular structure with relative ease, however every novaen subconsciously take an 'adopted' shape at a young age. A novaen baby found by a humans would adopt the human shape within seconds of seeing it new parent, and as they grow up subconsciously affect the shape they take. Novaen thus usually resemble as attractive member of their adopted race, those aware of their heritage can permanently alter their adopted body through molecular control.
Novaen also have their energy beings form, which is usually greatly resembling their adopted form but made from colored energy. They can alter their color at will with great ease and can even make themselves prismatic colored, however they are limited to the colors of the visible spectrum (although by concentrating on their molecular control a Novaen can become infrared or ultraviolet for a short time). Novaen in energy form have an intense glow that is almost impossible to suppress.
Novaen stopped existing as a race, thus they adopt the relations and view points of their adopted race. However some races reject Novaen after they are found as not a member of their own race, leading to witch hunt and driving the novaen away. Overall Novaen that are aware of their origin tend to be friendlier than the members of their adopted culture are, aware they are themselves outsiders. Novaen are however often hated, both as member of their adopted race and as immensely powerful extraterrestrial beings, xeno-hunters particularly hate novaen for their abilities.
Most novaen take alignment common in their adopted race, although they tend to gravitate toward neutrality. Good Novaem tend to fancy themsleves as protectors of the weak, often putting their lives on the line to aid those in distress. Thanks to their powerful natural abilities however they tend to be highly successful. Neutral novaem tend to think of themselves first, preferring to pursue personal goals and causes, usually through bettering themselves and discovering more about their origin. Finally evil novaem tend to see themselves as above petty mortals, clearly superior at birth, they will often make themselves leaders of organization using their great innate powers or imply take what they want from whoever they want.
Novaens do not have land of their own, even when they were a complete race they lived near stars in the void of space. Novaem can live pretty much everywhere, although they thrive in sunny places (and thus avoid places where the sun cannot reach them such as deep under the ocean or in the underdark).
Unless raised in a highly religious culture, Novaen are typically detached of the Gods. The novaen themselves, after the discovery of their origin tend to pay respect for deity of the sun, partially because they usually feed on solar energy. The typical novaen do not adhere to a religion or follow a deity, most prefer to follow their own moral or some attractive philosophy.
Since all the new Novaen are adopted in different cultures they do not have a language of their own, instead taking the language of their parents.
Novaen names are highly dependent on where they were found and by who, although parents often name them after colors or stars because of the circumstance they were found. Some novaen rename themselves after discovering their origin, taking upon names of titles, perhaps to detach themselves to their old selves. These name can be overly flowery to simple but other than that there is no real standard between names a particular novaen will take, if he or she take any.
- +4 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +4 Intelligence or +4 Wisdom or +4 Charisma: Novaen are paragon of body perfection, being energy beings. Their mind is also powerful and brilliant.
- Outsider (Xenotheric): Novaen are energy beings, thus completely alien to normal creatures. Novaen do not require sleep, drink or breath, they must however feed on nuclear fusion (as detailed below).
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a novaen has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Novaen base land speed is 30' feet. As long as a Novaen's bio-energy pool isn't empty it also possess a fly speed of 60' (Good)
- Darkvision: A novaen can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a novaen can function just fine with no light at all.
- Racial Hit Dice: A novaen begins with six levels of outsider, which provide 6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +5, Ref +5, and Will +5.
- Racial Skills: A novaen’s outsider levels give it skill points equal to 9 x (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are eight skills of the character's choice.
- Racial Feats: A novaen’s outsider levels give it three feats.
- Fusion Powered (Ex): Novaen are energy beings who are directly powered by nuclear fusion (and fission to some extent). First and foremost Novaen feed on fusion for sustenance, typically an hour of exposure to the sun feed them for an entire day. Their bio-energy pool do not recharge unless the Novaen is exposed to a source of nuclear fusion such as the sun or another source. A novaen can consume a fusion cell for both sustenance and bio-energy as a standard action, this render the cell useless and sustain the novaen for an entire day as well as restoring half of it total bio-energy charges (rounded down). Finally when a Novaen's bio-energy pool is empty it is automatically exhausted and staggered with no way of preventing or removing those status effect (except recharging it bio-energy pool).
- Racial Forms (Ex): Novaen have two forms, first is their adopted race form, chosen at character creation. A novaen count as being it adopted race for the purpose of disguising and similar effects. Second is their energy form, which typically look like their adopted from except made completely from radiant colored energy, a novaen is capable of changing it color at will while in energy form (can even change to a prismatic hue) as a free action but she is limited to colors in the visible spectrum unless she use molecular control (see below). While in energy form she always radiate light as a daylight spell. Changing between energy form and adopted form is a free action, a novaen can only use her bio-energy dependent abilities while in her energy form.
- Nova Blast (Ex): Every Novaen possess the capability of firing a blast of pure nuclear energy, targeting a creature up to medium range. Using nova blast is a standard action and require a successful ranged touch attack to hit. A creature struck by a nova blast take 1d6 damages per character level (starting at 6d6) fire damages ignoring fire resistance and halving immunity and must make a reflex save or burn for 3 rounds. Using nova blast require 1 bio-energy charge, novablast count as a bio-weapon for the purpose of interacting with xenotheric feats and abilities.
- Tactile Telekinesis (Ex): By spending 1 bio-energy charge, a novaen can replicate the effect of telekinesis with a caster level equal to her character levels and her racial hit dices with no cap on weight. However she can only affect objects or creatures she is adjacent to. Tactile telekinnesis is based on the navean highest mental ability score.
- Molecular Manipulation (Ex): Novaen are capable of altering their own molecular composition in radical ways. By spending one bio-energy charges a novaen can replicate the effect of the alter form spell (self only) allowing her to alter both her adopted (within the limit of the race chosen) and energy form. By spending 2 bio-energy charges she can replicate the effect of invisibility (self only) as long as she concentrate (replacing the normal duration). Finally by spending three bio-energy charge the novaen can make herself intangible for as long as she concentrate, gaining the incorporeal subtype. Using molecular manipulation is a full-round action.
- Death Throes (Ex): When a novaen die it undergoes total meltdown, exploding in a blast of force, fire and radiation. All creatures within 30 feet but that are not adjacent of the novae take 2 point of damages per hit dices, the damage is both fire and force and can't be resisted unless a creature has resistance or immunity to both. Creatures that were adjacent to the novaen take 6 damage per HDs instead.
- A novaen receive astroadaptation, improved resistance, varia skin and x-ray vision as bonus feats even if she does not meet the prerequisites.
- Automatic Languages: Common, the main language of their adopted race
- Bonus Languages: Any non-secret
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 6
Feeding on Fusion
Novaen feed on fusion for nourishment and power, they follow some additional rules that will be presented in the following paragraph. First their main power source is usually the sun, they are able to feed on the energy of a star assuming they are facing it (like during the day) and are within the star system of the star. The light of distant star is not enough for them to feed on thanks to the extreme distance between the novaen and the star. Novaen can feed on fusion cell as described above, gaining both bio-energy charge and nourishment for the act. Novaen can also feed on fusion reactors (assuming the setting is advanced enough) or other fusion-based power sources, doing so is like consuming a fusion cell except the power source is not outright consumed. While within a hundred feet of a fusion reactor the Novaen count as being in the vicinity of a power source and thus will start recovering bio-energy charge and keep herself fed.
A novaen starve quickly, if they do not receive any energy (solar or from other fusion source) within a day they start losing one bio-energy charge per hour. Once her bio-energy charges all drained the novaen take one point of constitution burn per hours, once her constitution depleted the novaen wither and die, this death do not activate it death throe. If the novaen is exposed to t least one hour of sustained energy (or one fusion cell) it is fully fed and regain one point of constitution burn per round.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|— years||— years||— years||+— years|
|Effective Character Level||6 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+4 Strength +, +4 Dexterity +, +4 Constitution + and +4 Intelligence or +4 Wisdom or +4 Charisma +|
|Rated By||Eiji-kun +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||A race of energy beings from beyond the stars. Novaen are powered by nuclear fusion, allowing them o feed on it for sustenance or to manifest great abilities. +|