Nyxbane (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Members of a cursed tribe of humans who dabbled with the shadows, they now live in constant fear of being swallowed by the darkness.
In times past, a group of powerful mages rejoiced in their mastery of shadow magic. With the power of shadow they could mold entire realities as they saw fit, making giant cities out of nothing but smoke and air. As they delved deeper and deeper into the darkness of the Plane of Shadows, they found it was a great river, the Deep Shadow, which bled to other worlds. And within the darkness they became aware of an entity known as the Black Sun which promised them power and the means to traverse the Deep Shadow safely to conquer these other worlds. And so their people worshiped the alien deity, and spread to the multiverse as conquerors.
But these winnings were as epithermal as their cities themselves. As their people linked themselves to the Black Sun to channel its power, something went wrong. Some say it betrayed them and began feeding on their souls. Others say that negative human emotions warped the entity, itself shadowy and malleable, into a terrible demon. Whatever the case, the power became a curse and soon the entire populace and its cities were wiped from existence; all but a few who disconnected and fled into the world.
Yet the connection was bound by blood and runs strong. Through the generations, every so often the blood awakens and the child forms a connection to the Black Sun unwillingly, and thus inherent the curse to ultimately be consumed by the terrible entity. Many seek ways to avoid dying, or preserving their souls to other beings such as gods and demons to escape their fate. Others accept it, and instead seek to change the Black Sun's nature by living as they wish the Black Sun to become. None can be certain of their fate, for even those returned from the dead remember nothing.
Nothing but darkness.
Paranoia among the nyxbane is not without justification, for each night brings danger with it and enclosed areas carry the threat of the pain of darkness. Among many of them, they are focused on trying to redeem themselves for their ancient bloodline's curse, but others find punishing generations of innocents to be contemptible, and oppose the forces of good who sit ideally by and allow this suffering to continue.
Born from humans, nyxbane are indistinguishable from normal people of their kin until they reach the age of puberty. At that point they develop signs of corruption; from white or silver shocked hair, yellow, orange, and red eyes, and a distinct "fuzziness" around the edges of their body, as if they were ever so slightly out of focus. In addition their normally red blood turns pitch black, and they often become slightly paler or washed out. Once these traits develop they acquire the aspects of the curse associated with nyxbane, and their powers.
Due to their Fear of the Dark, Nyxbane have learned to sleep in the light; either by having their bedrooms constantly lit or by sleeping during the day.
While they are human, those with knowledge of their past often shun them as cursed. Even without it, sometimes just being a different human is enough to provoke rejection and fear. As such many sour to friendly relations, but they sometimes find kinship with other rejected groups such as half-elves and half-orcs.
A nyxbane can be any alignment, but they trend more towards the extremes as they either embrace attempts as redemption and curing the curse, or embrace the powers of evil to fight the curse.
Nyxbane live among humans, for this is what they are.
Nyxbane may follow any religion, but many become aware of their history and those involved with the Cult of the Black Sun. What they do with this information is up to them.
Nyxbane speak Common.
Nyxbane are still human, and possess typical human names for their region.
- +2 to any attribute: Nyxbane are talented and varied, with a talent many would describe as "unreal".
- Humanoid (Human): Curse or not, nyxbane remain human.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a nyxbane has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Nyxbane base land speed is 30 ft feet.
- Darkvision: A nyxbane can see in the dark up to 120 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a nyxbane can function just fine with no light at all.
- Blessings of the Black Sun: Nyxbane are cursed, and yet also blessed. Choose one of the following abilities.
- Embrace the Dark: You can spontaneously convert any spell you cast into a [Shadow] descriptor spell. As a shadow spell, creatures get an additional Will save to recognize it as illusory, taking 10% per spell level effectiveness on a successful save, as per shadow evocation and similar spells. In exchange for its unreality, the spell no longer has verbal and somatic components, and there is a 20% chance the spell is not expended when cast. You also get a +1 CL to all [Shadow] spells.
- Flee the Dark: In shadowy illumination or darker, your speed is doubled and you are rendered partly incorporeal. You have a 50% miss chance against everything short of things which affect incorporeal creatures, as per blink, but without your own miss chance. Of course, you're taking damage each round while you do.
- Shun the Dark: You are immune to all [Shadow] spells, and take damage from darkness only once every minute instead of every round (as per Fear of the Dark). If you die from Fear of the Dark, you leave a body behind. You also get a +1 CL to all [Light] spells.
- Fear of the Dark (Ex): The nyxbane fear the dark, and rightfully so, for the darkness lets the Black Sun see them and they begin to feel its oppressive presence consuming them.
- In shadowy illumination or darker, they must make a DC 20 Will save or be rendered shaken for as long as they remain in the dark. Shaken does not stack with other fear effects. In mundane darkness, they actually begin taking damage from the dark, dealing 1 point of nonlethal damage per HD each round until they go unconscious. If unconscious, they instead start taking lethal damage instead. If they die from this effect, their body vanishes into a puff of shadow. While they can be revived, it is more difficult to do due to a lack of body.
- Shadow Vulnerable: Nyxbane have a -2 penalty on saves against [Shadow] spells.
- Skills: Nyxbane have a +2 on Knowledge The Planes checks, and it is always a class skill.
- Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will-dancing lights; 1/day-product flame. Caster level is equal to your character level, and the save DC is Charisma based.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||80 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Any Attribute +|
|Summary||Members of a cursed tribe of humans who dabbled with the shadows, they now live in constant fear of being swallowed by the darkness. +|