Parraqito (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Colourful parrot-people with a penchant for piracy.
Parraqitos are outgoing and vocal individuals, always offering their comments and opinions on every matter, usually with a pinch, or more, of sarcasm and veiled taunt. They like music, sea shanties, booze and all manner of partying. They are prone to disloyalty, an inheritance of their most frequent professione: piracy. They are generally good with words and in fact open their way mainly through their speech, resorting to violence only if diplomacy and bluffing don't work.
They are small parakeet-like humanoids, with beaks, small talons and winged arms. They sport colourful feathers, of a variety of hues. They like to wear light clothes, hats and bandanas, and all clothing needed for naval travel or to live on tropical, coastal cities.
Relationships with other races are mixed: on one hand they often choose to sail one the pirate's way, associating their race to criminal activity, but many parraqitos are employed as mariners, diplomats, administrators in seaside communities, and are quite appreciated at their jobs. Many also act as merchants, more or less honest. They are generally liked by partying and morally-loose people, at least until they board their ships.
Mostly chaotic, and often neutral, but any alignment may be found among the parraquitos.
They rarely have their own communities, usually preferring integrating themselves in coastal societies, where they can better benefit from their abilities.
They are not a religious race and each parraqito may have its own religiosu views. They usually worship gods of the sea or of thievery (better if both). They are very superstitious.
Parraqitos speak Common, not having their own language, but usually learn naval terms. They usually learn a lot of languages due to their travels. Parraqitos seem to talk almost always under the effects of the talk like a pirate spell, even though they are not.
Any, they usually adopt the naming convention of their native community.
- +2 Charisma, -2 Strength: With a quick tongue and a small body, parraqitos are charismatic but physically weak.
- Humanoid (Anthro): They are humanoid parrots.
- Small: As a Small creature, a parraqito gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Parraqito base land speed is 20 feet.
- Bird Body: They have a +2 racial bonus to Climb checks if their talons are free and a +4 Jump checks if they use their wings to help the jump.
- Cackling Taunt: Parraqitos gain the Goad feat for free.
- Gliding (Ex): Parraqitos have a glide speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability), which allow them to glide covering 20 feet (6 meters) per 5 feet (1,5 meters) of descent. Treat this glide ability as a fly speed for the purpose of prerequisites. If a parraqito becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, its wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The parraqito descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
- Grasping Talons (Ex): Despite not being very dexterous with their hands, parraqitos have excellent item manipulation with their feet and they can use them to hold and wield items that fit in one hand and light weapons, though only if standing still or flying. If they move on the ground while grasping an object with their feet their land speed is halved.
- Flight (Ex): At 5 HD a parraqito becomes able to fly at a speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability). A parraqito can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Parraqitos can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. Parraqitos are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because parraqitos can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, parraqitos have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running.
- Non-Dexterous (Ex): Parraqitos have hands but they are not as good as human hands are. They can wield melee weapons but they suffer a -1 to attacks if they do so with their hands. They can hold items with their hands but not use them during natural flight and their flight maneuverability drops by one step for holding a one-handed weapon, or two steps for a two-handed weapon.
- Pirate Calling: They always count Perform (Accordion) or (Sea Shanty) and Profession (Sailor) as class skills for all their classes. They gain a +2 racial bonus to these checks and to Appraise and Bluff checks. They gain also free weapon proficiency with the flintlock pistol.
- Tongue of the Seas: Parraqitos travel a lot and they learn two extra free languages of their choosing. They are also immune to the spell talk like a pirate.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any, except secret ones
- Favored Class: Bard or Mariner
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
- Parraqito Pirate: A parraqito that has chosen the corsair's lifestyle (as if it wasn't the most common choice among parraqitos).
Add a +2 to Dexterity for Pathfinder games.
Simple Racial Traits
These are racial traits for use with the simplified races rules.
- Humanoid (Anthro)
- Small (+1 bonus to Hide, Move Silently, and Escape Artist checks)
- Base land speed of 20 feet.
- Combat Ability - Cackling Insult: Once per encounter you can spew insults at opponents who can hear you. One creature per Charisma modifier (minimum 1) receives 1d6 of [Sonic] damage and is Shaken for one round per Charisma modifier, unless it passes a Will save (DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma modifier) in which case the damage is reduced to 1 and the shaken condition to one round only. This is a language-dependent effect and requires a swift action to activate.
- Passive Ability - Pirate Calling: You gain two bonus languages of your choosing and you are immune to the talk like a pirate spell. You gain HD + 3 free ranks in Perform (Accordion) or (Sea Shanty) and Profession (Sailor) which always count as class skills for you.
- Utility Ability - Feathered Arms: You have a glide speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability), which allows you to glide covering 20 feet (6 meters) per 5 feet (1,5 meters) of descent. Treat this glide ability as a fly speed for the purpose of prerequisites. If you become unconscious or helpless while in midair, your wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. You descend in a tight corkscrew and take only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall. At 5 HD you become able to fly at a speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability). You can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. You can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). You can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then you're fatigued at the end of the flight. You are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because you can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, you can remain aloft for extended periods (even if you can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When you reach 10 Hit Dice, you have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. you can fly at a speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running.
|the bluez in the dungeonv|
|Author||the bluez in the dungeon +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Bard + and Mariner +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Charisma + and -2 Strength +|
|Summary||Colourful parrot-people with a penchant for piracy. +|