Pliern (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
What was dead and once forgotten once made a bid to be once more. But that which was lost cannot be found, leaving the mold unused and unbound.
These gray skinned beings were artificial creations made long ago. They were produced by a cult to bring back a dead god and grant them a suitable vessel on earth. But the project failed, and the rejects escaped to become the beings known as the pliern.
A pliern has no base personality, but their company impresses upon them shaping both their outlook and appearance. What begins as almost featureless humanoids eventually grows to resemble those they call kin, with appearance to boot. For younger plierns, they can come off as fake or artificial, and trigger peoples sense of uncanny valley.
A pliern is born as a featureless gray humanoid with misshapen proportions, almost akin to a homunculus. Their hands, feet, and head are oversized and bodies rife with minor deformities. As they age their bodies normalize and start taking on appearance of the people they are around until the point they they would be indistinguishable from others, save their gray hued skin and muted hair colors. For mixed societies they assume forms that are natural blends of all they meet.
Many assume plierns are some manner of doppelganger, and perhaps given their abilities they were originally of such stock. That, with their "false personalities" in their youth, lead many to assume the worst of them. As such many move from their initial homelands in search of friendlier territories unfamiliar with their natures.
Plierns can be any alignment.
Plierns can exist in any land and have no homeland of their own. While they breed true, most cannot find another pliern mate. Those with pliern blood appear as their normal non-pliern kin, but on rare occasion may have a pliern pureblood child far along in their bloodline.
Plierns do not have any specific religion, but many are driven (perhaps instinctually) to become hosts to extraplanar beings or get involved in extraplanar affairs, leading to many warlocks, clerics, and of course binders.
Plierns speak Common.
Plierns adopt the names of the cultures around them, as they have no homeland to call their own.
- +2 to any attribute: Built to adapt to the form of spirits, their bodies can take on many traits as well.
- Aberration (Shapechanger): Though humanoid in shape, they are not actual humanoids and still retain some of their ductile nature.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a plierns has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Plierns base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A plierns can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a plierns can function just fine with no light at all.
- Binding Essence (Ex): Plierns were born to host the spirits of others. If the pliern is a binderToM and they display their sign willingly or not, they may treat their binder level as +2 higher than normal for bound vestiges. Divine casting classes as well as warlocks can also call on more power, but only for a moment, as a standard action to charge up. While full of extradimensional energy they display inhuman traits appropriate to their power source. The next divine spell, turning check, or warlock invocation they use gain a +2 caster level. They can do this 3/day.
- Energy Sink (Ex): Plierns were not able to hold the energy of a god, but they can still take energy within themselves with greater effect than others. Plierns benefit from the energy ablation feat but only to x3 their HD. If they gain the feat they expand it to any non-physical damage type and gain x6 ablation.
- Minor Shift (Ex): While not enough to provide any sort of disguise on its own, the pliern can perform all sorts of minor alterations to themselves at will, no stronger than prestidigitation such as altering the hue of their hair, with new changes overwriting the old. It can be made as part of another Disguise check (which their racial bonus covers).
- Skills: Plierns have a +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks, and Disguise is always a class feature. In addition, if they observe a physical ability or skill check made in the last round they may attempt the same check with the same bonus -2, even if they are not trained in the skill in question. Alternatively if they have ranks in the skill they can use their own ranks at a +2 bonus instead.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: [[BinderToM (3.5e Class)|BinderToM]] or Warlock
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||80 years||+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||BinderToM + and Warlock +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Any Attribute +|
|Summary||They were produced by a cult to bring back a dead god and grant them a suitable vessel on earth. But the project failed, and the rejects escaped to become the beings known as the pliern. +|