Reptoid (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
One of us in here isn't real. They're secretly a reptilian shapeshifter, come to do some sort of unspeakable unknown plot. That's how the conspiracy goes, and these events are usually pinned on sneaky bards, changelings, and other actual disguise-heavy creatures. And this is true, but among their ranks there is in fact a shapeshifting lizard person with a perchance for political ploys and subterfuge. These are reptoids, believed to be an offshoot (or a genetically engineered experiment) of yaun-ti descent.
Knowing what a reptoid really feels is always a mystery, for everything they do is an act. It is said they are logical, methodical, and emotionless in all they do but they are so good at playing the part, that few can tell the difference, even themselves. So seeped are they in their deception one has to wonder if they haven't fooled themselves.
In their base state reptoids look more monstrous than human. They are covered in scaly skin, usually green, with yellow eyes and serpentine features. However their skin is special, with all the color and texture changing expression of an octopus. Through this subtle shapeshifting, they can look like any humanoid they wish within their limits. They will usually choose a specific form which is their default, but may carry multiple favored faces, shapes, and personalities to go with it.
Reptoids can sometimes be found out in aberrant behavior, the flickering of their nictitating membrane, or their colder than normal body temperature. They are somewhere between warm and cold blooded, but do not have a constant internal temperature without effort on their part.
In ideal circumstances, no one will realize the reptoid is there. Their reputation tends to provoke suspicion and negative results due to their sneaky craven nature. They need not actually be plotting anything malicious, it is merely the implication of such.
Reptoids can be any alignment, but tend to be non-good. Because of their habit of infiltrating positions of power, many of them are also lawful.
It is unclear where reptoids originated from, for they live among us. Many blame the yaun-ti, while others claim they are aliens.
Reptoids have no need for religion, unless it suits a particular functional purpose for them. Their minds are too cold and logical for the passion of true mindless faith.
Reptoids speak Common and Yaun-ti, promoting the theory of their connection to the serpent race.
Reptoids adopt very "normal" names of the places they inhabit. Most claim they do not have real names, but those that do seem to take on yaun-ti style fair as it is easy on the tongue.
- +2 to any attribute: Most reptoids are charismatic, but they can be of any lot. In fact, with practice, they can even shift where their bonus applies.
- Humanoid (Reptillian, Shapechanger): Shapeshifting reptile people, they are yet still humanoid enough to count.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a reptoid has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Reptoid base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A reptoid can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Coldblood (Ex): If exposed to constant low temperatures (such as from weather, but not an instant burst of cold damage) for at least 1 minute, a reptoid will begin to slow. They take a -2 penalty on attack, AC, saves, and Strength and Dexterity based ability and skill checks until they can warm up.
- Lying Mind (Ex): Reptoids are so good at lying, they can deceive themselves. Creatures reading their mind must still succeed on a Sense Motive check (with a +4 bonus) against the reptoid's bluff, or receive false thoughts instead.
- Mimic Voice (Ex): A reptoid can observe a speaking creature or a repeating sound (such as dripping water) for at least 3 rounds. Afterwards, they can duplicate the voice of the creature in question. Creatures familiar with the voice may make a Sense Motive check opposed by their Disguise check to determine the falsehood by voice alone. Reptoids can only remember one sound type at a time, new observations overwrite the ability to use old ones.
- Shift Form (Ex): Reptoids can assume the form of any humanoid as if using disguise self, except this is a real tactile physical transformation and not an illusion. Changes take place over the course of 1 minute, but otherwise last forever until they assume a new form or dismiss it. A reptoid may have a number of favored forms equal to their Constitution bonus (minimum 1). These shapes are adopted faster, over the course of 1 round, and may take 12 with the Disguise check. Making a shape a favored form takes 24 hours of focus per form to study the details and behaviors of this form. If it is the form of a pre-existing specific creature, you must have enough observation time to equal 24 hours to adopt to this form. At your choosing you can shift your +2 racial bonus from its current ability score to a new set ability score chosen for the favored form. This has all the expected changes, though you do not gain additional skill points if moved to Intelligence if it isn't naturally your chosen ability bonus, and no additional favored shapes if moved to Constitution if it isn't naturally your chosen ability bonus.
- Skills: Due to their optic camouflage Reptoids have a +4 bonus on Hide checks made in largely unchanged environments they have spent at least 3 rounds in. For example, a brick wall would provide a bonus but not a background of rapidly moving ocean waves. They also always have Bluff and Disguise as a class skills.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Yaun-ti
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Bard or Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|60 years||90 years||120 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 6"||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Bard + and Rogue +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Any Attribute +|
|Subtype||Reptillian, Shapechanger +|
|Summary||One of us in here isn't real. They're secretly a reptilian shapeshifter, come to do some sort of unspeakable unknown plot. +|