Slimeling (3.5e Race)
Rate this article
Discuss this article
Adorable oozes with faces and intellect, these small blobs try their best!
Unlike most mindless slimes, the slimeling is intelligent. However they are usually considered simple minded, breaking down complex problems into base challenges. While few will ever become philosophers, this does give way to slimelings being considered plucky and brave (or reckless) as they don't bother thinking about their plans in depth.
Slimelings are round translucent blobs of sticky material that travel through bouncing, rolling, and gliding along their bellies. The front of their body is dominated by a large simple face, generally devoid of details such as a nose, with eyespots. Small pseudopods can be extended for arms or a tail, and even to duplicate ears, but they usually forgo feet. They come in various colors and deep within them a more opaque nucleus can sometimes be seen.
Slimelings can eat almost anything, including things normally considered trash, digesting it with powerful stomach acids. In their original homes in dungeons they would scavenge from anything dropped by adventurers, or sometimes the adventurers themselves.
Slimelings technically are a mono-gendered species that reproduce by budding, though they can partly fuse with other slimelings to mix and match DNA for future buds. They only do this when food is plentiful and life is secure.
As a monstrous creature that resembles a mindless slime, many may suspect them at first. However the ability to speak and often a willingness to work with others usually win over suspicious people over to their side.
Slimelings can be any alignment, but many are True Neutral and merely self interested in whatever catches their simple minds.
Slimelings originally spawned from caves and dungeons, and only recently have began expanding into the world. They tend to avoid arid and cold places.
Slimelings may worship gods of ooze and slimes, traps, and bravery.
Slimelings speak Common, a language picked up from traveling adventurers passing through their dungeons.
Slimelings generally let others give them nicknames, and are usually considered uncreative with said names.
- +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence: Durable but mentally dull, slimelings endure whatever they don't think through.
- Ooze: Slimelings are oozes, through they only have some ooze traits.
- Small: As a Small creature, a slimeling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Slimeling base land speed is 20 feet.
- Darkvision: A slimeling can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a slimeling can function just fine with no light at all.
- Amphibious (Ex): Slimelings breathe, but they are able to breathe both air and water equally.
- Engulf (Ex): Slimelings can engulf any creature or object up to its size or smaller and store it within its body as a move action (for objects) or instead of a successful pin (for creatures). It can use this as a form of storage and objects may be drawn and stored as if they were sheathed weapons. Two tiny objects count as one small object, or four diminutive objects, or eight fine objects. They can choose to try and digest creatures or objects, subjecting the creature or object to 1 acid damage per HD each round at the end of your turn.
- Feral Strike (Slam) (Ex): Slimelings have a feral strike that deals 1d4 bludgeoning and 1d4 acid, 20/x2. The acid damage is considered part of the base damage and is multiplied on critical hits.
- Malleable Body (Ex): Slimeling bodies are highly flexible. They have a +4 bonus on Escape Artist checks and checks made to escape a grapple, and can count two sizes smaller for the purposes of squeezing through tight spaces. They are capable for emitting any number of pseudopods, through only two may be used as "hands" at any one point. Typically these are used to simulate ears, tails, and other appearances. As a standard action at will it may rearrange its appearance (treat as disguise self but only into the form of other slimelings) with unlimited duration as long as they remain conscious, but always has a default appearance it returns to.
- Slimeling Traits: Slimelings differ from normal oozes. They are not blind, relying on their eyespots for vision, and also lack blindsight. They are also not mindless. While they are largely resistant, they do have a nucleus and are not immune to critical hits and sneak attacks. Instead they have 50% Fortification against these effects, which stacks with any armor enhancements. As an ooze they are considered a "watery" creature for the purpose of interacting with dessication effects and spells. They are also considered to have monstrous bodies for the purpose of calculating armor costs, but are still able to wear armor as it floats within and along their surface.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Aquan, Draconic, Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Terran, and Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Barbarian or Sorcerer
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|× (x1) lb.
|× (x1) lb.
|Effective Character Level
|Barbarian + and Sorcerer +
|3.5e Race +
|Racial Ability Adjustments
|+2 Constitution + and -2 Intelligence +
|Adorable oozes with faces and intellect, these small blobs try their best! +