Ambiko (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Ambikos are tricky, devious, aloof humanoids with the ability to alter themselves. Related to both changelings and doppelgangers, they have weaker bodies but sharper minds, more quick to change and possessed of wit and talent. In their natural forms they are very similar to humans which are literally devoid of features, possessing no eyes, nose, ears, or other organs, although they seem to see and hear normally and do have a mouth for eating. It's rare to catch them in such a state, for they are always hidden in the shape of another.
Ambikos maintain a rather human personality about them, though they tend to be trickier, more devious, or more aloof due to their unique gender issues and ability to alter themselves. When an ambiko wishes to go out on a whim, more often than not they do, simply because they can. As such they stray from lawful tenancies.
Ambikos possess minor shapeshifting powers with Disguise Self, which they use the vast majority of the time to blend in with other races. Ambikos have a base original appearance, but the only times they are in such a state are when they are within the safety of other ambikos. It is almost as if they have a racial shyness for their real selves. When in this form, they are almost identical to humans in build, though they tend to gaunt, thin forms with long hair of neutral or dull colors such as black, white, gray, silver, or other washed-out colors. They have no visible facial features beyond their mouths, and are so disturbingly smooth that many who see their natural forms wonder if they possess bones at all. By and large they are utterly genderless and neutral in form.
Ambikos may seem like they have a gender, and many Ambikos do adopt a male or female mindset, their bodies are actually devoid of any defining organs. They only develop such features during mating periods. This process requires a month to build up the alterations for the body's reproductive functionality, and it then takes another month for the Ambiko to return to normal. If they became pregnant during that period, they remain in their altered state for the duration of the pregnancy and then an additional 3 months post-birth.
Ambikos blend in with other races, learning about them and picking up their traits. Traditionally, Ambiko travel out and live with others, then return to their homelands, bearing the knowledge and gifts of other races with them. As a result, Ambiko society itself is a potpourri of different heritages, even if everyone is indeed an Ambiko.
Any, with a straying from lawful.
Any, and likely every secretly.
Like their culture, religion is highly mixed. It's uncertain if the Ambiko ever had an original god or if they were all taken from the humans, elves, halflings, gnomes, etc...
Names are again, extremely mixed. They range from human names to rare and bizarre dialects for strange species. Several adopt many names simply for the purpose of addressing oneself to every race.
- +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution: Ambiko are sociable and able to fit in, but secretly frail regardless of outer appearance.
- Humanoid (Shapechanger): The Ambiko body is partially mutable.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Ambiko have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Ambiko base land speed is 30 feet.
- Ambikos are related to both dopplegangers and changelings, and can count as either race for the effect of feats, prestige classes, magic items, and similar which are limited by race.
- Low-Light Vision: An Ambiko can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. Shi retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Acquired Knowledge: An Ambiko gets a +3 racial bonus to any one single skill, chosen at time of creation.
- Shapeshift (Ex): An Ambiko may make a shift in appearance to any humanoid creature. They can make a Disguise check with a +10 bonus as a standard action, and do not require tools or makeup for the disguise (though a masterwork tool still provides benefits). This ability may be used 1/day for every 4 character levels (2/day at level 5, 3/day at level 9, , 4/day at level 13, to a maximum of 5/day at level 17). The disguise lasts forever until the ambiko chooses to shift again. The effect is an actual physical change in the ambikos body and is not revealed as an illusion.
- Melting Pot: Speak Language is always a class skill for Ambikos.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||70 years||110 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Genderless||5' 1"||+2d10||100 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Charisma + and -2 Constitution +|
|Rated By||Ganteka Future +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||Ambikos are tricky, devious, aloof humanoids with the ability to alter themselves. +|