Doppledasein (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Magical methods of duplicating oneself are well known; clone, body outside of bodyCA, simulacrum, and so forth, but all these methods are either temporary, do not produce another creature, or the creature is just but a shadow of oneself. Research into true cloning was made long ago by a sinister spellcaster who proceeded to try and dominate the world, only for his growing army of himself to be defeated in its entirely. The magic which bore his cloning abilities went wild and spread across the land, and soon many twins were born to its inhabitants, twins possessed of two bodies but a single soul. These beings were known as the doppledasein.
The doppledasein are two creatures who share the same life force. They are double the threat, and double the danger to themselves. If one of them falls, both will.
Doppledasein have a very unusual outlook on life, effectively being one person but two outlooks at life. They can be compared to left and right brains, and each of the pair often has its own quirks and outlooks which synergize or compliment each other. Even if they have radically different views, consensus comes about as quickly as it takes a single person to make up their mind. Rare is it that the twins will have experiences which break radically from each other, and when they do it often leads to mental issues in both.
Most have difficulty relating to a doppledasein as one being, instead seeing them as two similar siblings. On the other side, doppledasein see others as living a tragic lonely existance, devoid of a companion. They don't know how they do it.
Doppledasein appear to be human, and for the most part they are, with the occasional humanoid variant aspects showing up such as elf, dwarf, or orc features. The notable traits though is that they are always twins who often appear similar to each other, and they are always possessed of herteochroma of some degree, with the eye colors mirroring each other with each twin. They share a sympathic connection to each other, and so both twins can usually be found mimicking each others actions or displaying muscle twitches and quirks when one twin is busy doing something while the other twin is away.
Due to the unusual nature of their birth, the doppledasein have been met with some disdain within the human communities of their origin. They are mutants, magical aberrations that are unnatural and suspicious due to their mental link. And yet they are undeniably still humanoid and not disposed to any good or evil beyond what their civilization imparts upon them. Many unaware of their magic tainted births would assume them humanoid twins and nothing more.
Doppledasein can be any alignment under the sun, and each twin can actually have a different alignment. If this is the case, they count as both alignments at once.
The doppledasein hail from a particular land whose name is now lost to history, but who once was under the tyrannical rule of a self-duplicating wizard. Upon the wizard's defeat, his magic tainted the land and those born upon it.
Doppledasein are as pious as the average human, though many do end up looking into self-reflection; a task made easy when self-reflecting is as simple as speaking with your twin.
Common and Doppletalk. Doppletalk is less of a language of its own (as it is effectively common) and more of a dialect where both twins speak at once conveying different ideas each at the same time. It is a chaotic confused jumble of words to most with no sense of grammar, rhyme, or reason but it can be translated and understood. Speaking it, however, requires at least two mouths speaking simultaneously. If used in a game with the similar DvatiDragon Comp race, Doppletalk is considered to be the same as Dvati.
Doppledasein have a single name, but due to the confusion this brings they often adopt different middle names and use that to determine which twin is which, such as Phil-Adder and Phil-Odder. They retain last names as normal.
- Humanoid (Human, Psionic): Doppledasein are humans which have a latent psychic ability which links them together. Rarely, a doppledasein is born in a different bloodline. In these cases, replace the human subtype with the appropriate humanoid subtype (such as elf or orc).
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a doppledasein has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Doppledasein base land speed is 30 feet.
- Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): As long as one twin is within line of sight to the other, both benefit from improved uncanny dodge as a barbarian of their level. If they gain uncanny dodge from a class, they can instead choose to get evasion.
- Naturally Psionic (Ex): Doppledaseins gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
- Shared Mind (Su): Doppledasein possess telepathy (unlimited range and across planes) with their twin. A twin cannot perceive what his other sees, hears, or otherwise perceives. As a full-round action, a dvati twin can determine his twin's current hit points and mental state. If one twin is on the same plane as the other, the twin learns the relative direction and distance to his partner.
- Shared Soul (Ex): Doppledasein share a single soul, and so it is difficult to affect the soul of one without the other. Any effect which affects the soul such as trap the soul, reanimation attempts such as raise dead, any Death effect, or any mind-effecting affect has a 50% chance of simply failing unless both twins are targeted by the same effect at once.
- Twins (Ex): Doppledasein are one being in two bodies which cannot exist without one another. This strange link has several implications, the first of which is they are two creatures which can move and act separately from each other. However, there are restrictions based on their connection. Twins share experience, character levels, spell selection, initiative rolls, hp totals, ability scores, saving throws, feats, skills, and all other aspects which make up a character's sheet. In effect, build a single character which applies to two bodies.
- Doppledasein share a single hp pool. When this pool is depleted, both doppledasein fall unconscious. However they die at twice the amount of negative hp as normal (-20 for most games). They also share spell slots and any limited use per day abilities they possess.
- They do not share items, each possessing their own hands and item slots. They have their own actions they can take each, but if performing an action which requires any sort of concentration (such as spellcasting or manifesting), both must take an action to produce the effect (though only one must supply any material components). For example, one twin cannot cast a spell while the other attacks (as both typically consume their standard action) though they could use move or swift actions which have not yet been expended on concentration-heavy abilities.
- Having two bodies allows a doppledasein to pull off tricks suc as flanking with themselves and doubling their physical attacks, but also has a downside of providing twice the targets. If both twins are struck from effects which affect multiple targets they can take damage twice (such as both being caught in a fireball) and they get two saving throws, one for each twin. If struck by a status effect, only the affected twin has the status effect unless it is a Death effect or mind-affecting effect in which case it effects both targets as if they were a single creature (though see Shared Soul above). On the flipside, doppledasein may share positive status effects, even Personal ones, to both twins as a free action. For example, casting mage armor one one doppledasein can provide the benefit to both. A spellcaster doppledasein may use their twin like a familiar to deliver touch spells, as the familiar ability. The sharing of effects, both good and ill, only function when the doppledasein is on the same plane.
- Rarely, doppledasein have twins which do not share the same alignment. In these cases, they count as both alignments simultaneously.
- Racial Hit Dice (Ex): A doppledasein begins with two levels of humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and a variable base saving throw of one good (+3) and two bad saves (+0), chosen on character creation.
- Racial Skills (Ex): A doppledasein's racial hit dice give it skill points equal to 5 × (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1). It can choose any eight skills as class skills.
- Racial Feats (Ex): A doppledasein's racial hit dice give it one feat.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency (Ex): Doppledasein are proficient in all simple weapons and light armor (but not shields).
- Automatic Languages: Common, Doppletalk
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||80 years||+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||None +|
|Rated By||Aarnott + and Spanambula +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Subtype||Human, Psionic +|
|Summary||The doppledasein are two creatures who share the same life force. They are double the threat, and double the danger to themselves. +|