Marijan (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Marijans are a race of partly-hemp humanoids, with long, braided hair and a cultural tendency to use psychoactive substances.
Extremely chill and open to novelties, marijans are a strange bunch of humanoids that lives in small, self-sufficient communities or among other races, usually alone or in smaller groups. They are welcoming of other creatures, often offering shelter, food and fun without any return. Because of this they are sometimes tricked into givings goods, but they simply don't care, adopting a lifestyle of acceptance and about being comfortable with themselves. They enjoy the small things in life and wish to pass this wisdom to their neighbours. They like to grow and use many psychoactive substances, such as blackmoss, datura weed, dream haze and wildgrass. This is both an act of cultural and personal importance, and a necessity, as they seem to require a certain amount of psychedelics in their biological needs.
They resemble humans, though their skin ranges from beige to dark brown, with a slight texture, similar to a weaving. They are usually skinny looking, though some are quite athletic. Their hair look like hemp fibers, and they fashion them like long ropes, with colourful beads as decorations. They like to wear multicolored clothes, and exceptionally large, or sometimes more sober vests and trousers made out of hemp. They are not against wearing skimpier clothes from time to time.
They are very peaceful, and almost never quarrel with other races, but they are despised by hard-working races and friend with those that look for fun times. They tend to prefer the company of good creatures, as they usually are less destructive than evil ones. They like to live in isolated places.
"Live and let live" is their motto, leaning on a more chaotic view of life, as in individualistic and freedom-loving. They also are usually more good than evil, while lawful marijans are almost non-existent.
They like to live in the countryside, in pleasant and quiet locations, where they settle their tents, carriages and houses made from scrap and live in harmony. Sometimes they even occupy abandonded buildings or ruins. They always have a personal garden for all their needs, nutritional and of entertainment, to which they personally tend.
Despite being very religious, they do not worship any specific deity or philosophy and each marijan is free to choose and transform their belief as they see fit, while the others support and encourage their ideas. They tend to choose creeds that revolve around nature, the self, freedom and community. Some druids and shamans maintain that their use of drugs is sacred and that they employ them also in attempts to fight an otherwordly beast. They are convinced vegetarians.
They speak Sylvan and Common as a race, but each individual may learn a variety of languages.
Marijan names are the combination of a name in Sylvan (sometimes in other languages), plus a title of sort, or a nickname, in Common, Elven, any elemental language or something else, such as: Fenderl Kissed-by-Sun or Majore Rushing River. Adventuring marijans often add names in other languages to their original name, whether real names or other titles.
- +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence: Their exposure to psychedelics has enhanced their minds and instincts, while hampering their ability to act rationally.
- Plant (Sapblood): They are partly plant, partly humanoid creatures.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a marijan has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Marijan base land speed is 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A marijan can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Chill (Su): Once per Wisdom modifier per day, up to 5 times per day, they can replicate as a standard action the effects of calm emotions as a supernatural ability, with a range of touch and a duration of one round per Wisdom modifier. The save DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + Wisdom modifier and this is a mind-affecting effect. By expending multiple uses they may affect multiple targets, provided that they can touch them. They can affect themselves, with no save, as a swift action.
- Hampered Decisions: They gain the Hampered Decision Maker flaw.
- Hazed: Marijans are constantly light-headed, due to their strong use of substances. They suffer constant mild euphoric hallucinations which give them a –2 penalty to perceptive skills (Listen, Search and Spot) and a –2 penalty to Initiative rolls, but they gain a +1 bonus on saves against effects that cause morale penalties and fear, but they can immediately reroll reroll failed saving throws against mind-affecting effects, no more than once per effect. They also gain a +4 racial bonus against pain effects.
- Hazy Mist (Ex): Once per day they may puff as a standard action, producing a cloud of psychoactive fog, either centered on themselves with a 10-ft radius (3 meters), or centered on a point within 10 feet from themselves, covering the same area. This mist works as the obscuring mist spell and lasts 1 minute. In addition to that, anyone in the area must make a Fortitude save (DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + Wisdom modifier) to avoid suffering the same effects of the magic mushroom dust spell. They gain additional uses of this feature every 5HD they possess (1 per each 5). If they consume two uses of this ability at once, affected creatures instead act confused for the same duration. Creatures that pass the save are immune to that instance of Hazy Mist. This is a mind-affecting effect but resistance or immunity to poisons also apply, while immunity to mind-affecting effects is reduced to a +4 bonus against such effect, instead of immunity.
- Puffy Eyes: They have especially puffy eyes, a by-product of the smokes they inhale. As such, they reduce concealment due to fogs, mists or clouds to the lesser penalty (or by 20%, if it is more) and may clearly see within 10 feet while inside such effects.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan
- Bonus Languages: Any, except secret languages.
- Favored Class: Druid
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
- Psychedelic Mist - Infuse the Hazy Mist with illusions.
- Psychoactive Mist - To enhance your Hazy Mist with specific drugs.
|the bluez in the dungeonv|
|Author||the bluez in the dungeon +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Druid +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Wisdom + and -2 Intelligence +|
|Summary||Marijans are a race of partly-hemp humanoids, with long, braided hair and a cultural tendency to use psychoactive substances. +|