Mooncursed (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Known as theriajynxed amongst their own, it is said that they were once lycanthropes who somehow became trapped in their hybrid forms and bred true, forming weaker anthromorphic man-beasts who still feel the call of the night, and whose fates are shaped by the moon.
The story goes that their ancestors were once a kingdom of humanoids who grew to great power and became arrogant, violent, and warlike. By some offense to their gods, they were cursed by the moon to become beasts and thus in a fit of lycanthropic madness did the kingdom collapse and its people disperse. For some, it is in fact the story of lycanthropy itself while others merely say it is a nigh fictional tale of the hubris of mortals. However if it is true, something not even the mooncursed can remember for certain, then that curse had weakened over time. First its kind began to cease changing shape, and then their bloodlust was dampened. Or perhaps it was the other way around. Either way, they became beastfolk who were never the less connected to and swayed by the presence of the moon and the dark of the night.
Born supposedly cursed, the theriajynx have adapted to this knowledge in various ways. Some have accepted their fate and act almost apologetic for their existence. Others become spiteful and grow to hate others. And some merely ignore their past and seek to live as they see fit. Often because of rumors, colonies of theriajynx would form in far off corners away from most and interact only briefly with those outside of their tribe.
Rumor has it that they are all prone to fits of violence and rage, especially during a full moon. However this is not actually true. What is true is that they do have a certain degree of quirkiness, some would say madness, inherent to them each. It is often benign such as a fascination with the color blue, or enjoying the texture of paper, but sometimes it could be the screams of others being chased by the hunt. It is these ones which gain all the attention and are shunned by most.
The mooncursed were born from lycanthropes, so the story goes. They appear as various humanoid mammalian beastfolk of various animals but generally wolves, cats, dogs, and foxes, or even blends between the types. However beyond being all one species with a highly varied appearance they are indistinguishable from most anthromorphic creatures. When exposed to moonlight their eyes often glow, revealing their unnatural natures.
Believed to be monsters by many, and reluctant to interact with the world internally, the mooncursed have not gained many relationships with other species beyond rare trade, interactions, or conflicts. Most have chosen to hide away from the world but every so often one slips from their bonds of their homeland and wanders the world as an adventurer.
The mooncursed can be of any alignment, long divorced from their original curse.
The mooncursed can live in many lands but rarely amongst civilization. They hide away in forest villages or amongst the rocky cliffs of the desert, according to their needs and history.
The mooncursed, though said to originally having been cursed by a god of the moon, also often venerate the moon that has such an effect upon who they are and what they do. Their history is unclear if the original moon deity that cursed them still exists and if the moon gods they worship now are at all related.
Mooncursed speak Common, likely picked up from their human origins long ago.
The mooncursed have two names. Their informal name is usually a single and normal name such as Ben and James. They also have a title name which is arbitrarily long and is composed of whatever accomplishments, titles, or family names they see fit. Benjamin Arbiter Shine-Claw Rexus Listener Archie Magi Longsnout of Watson is a perfectly valid name.
- +2 to any attribute: Formed from many species, their abilities vary greatly. At their choosing they can gain an additional +2 bonus to an ability score at the cost of a -2 penalty at a different ability score, for a total spread of +2/+2/-2.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Anthro): Born of lycanthropes, the mooncursed are beastal humanoids.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a mooncursed has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Mooncursed base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A mooncursed can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Feral Strike (Ex): Mooncursed have a single feral strike of their choice, usually claws or bites. It is typically one of their more prominent and animalistic features. They may be enhanced as if they were manufactured masterwork weapons.
- Geopositioned (Ex): A mooncursed always knows what time it is, down to the minute. If they can see the night sky they also know their exact position in the world.
- Immunities (Ex): A mooncursed is immune to lycanthropy (as they are already considered infected).
- Moon Sign: Although no longer changed by the moon, the mooncursed remains effected in subtle ways. Supposedly set both at the time of their first thought and then at their first breath, the phases of the moon gives each and every mooncursed separate abilities. Choose any two of the following. Once chosen it cannot be changed, though rumors persist of a ritual capable of changing your inborn abilities.
- Black Moon: You gain a +2 racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently, and both are always class skills. Whenever you would qualify for sneak attacks, you deal +1 precision damage plus 1 more every odd HD beyond.
- Blood Moon: You benefit from the Blood Rally feat, except you recover an amount equal to 1/2 your HD (minimum 1, maximum 5 at 10 HD). You count as having the Blood Rally feat.
- Blue Moon: You gain a +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive. If you have Leadership your effective Leadership score increases by +2. 1/day you can reroll a failed Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Sense Motive check at a -2 penalty.
- Cheshire Moon: As a standard action you can vanish as invisibility as a supernatural ability. You can remain invisible for up to 2 rounds per HD, and the time need not be consecutive.
- First Quarter: At the start of each day you can assign a +1 morale bonus to any of the following: Attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks. If you roll a natural 1 on the chosen ability, a second attempt made within 1 round after will have a minimum die result of 10.
- Full Moon: You can run on all fours to increase your land movement speed by +10, and stand from being on all fours as a free action (you are not prone). You can also eat even spoiled, raw, or formerly undead meat without issues, and recover hp equal to the HD of the eaten creature when you do so. Eating a creature takes 1 round for a creature 1 size smaller than you or smaller, and twice as much time for each category larger (2 rounds, 4 rounds, 8 rounds, etc) and provokes attacks of opportunity.
- Last Quarter: You can deal nonlethal damage with a weapon without penalty and when your lethal weapon attack would bring an opponent to 0 or fewer HP, you may reduce the damage so that the opponent is left with 1, 0, or -1 HP and is stable. You can even make non-lethal sneak attacks and death attacks and non-lethal spells. Save or die spells (at least those which leave the body intact) bring the target to -1 and stable at your choice.
- Solar Eclipse: Creatures within your threatened reach suffer from a -2 penalty on either attack, saving throws, or ability and skill checks (chosen as a free action at the beginning of your turn). Curses are not permanent on you, lasting no longer than 24 hours. If you are killed you may use bestow curse as a non-action on your killer, DC 10 + 1/2 HD + highest mental ability modifier.
- Waning Crescent: You gain the reroll ability of the Luck Domain power. This stacks with the Luck domain, and qualifies you for having at least one Luck feat. In addition, you can try again when you roll a natural 1 on a Use Magic Device check.
- Waning Gibbous: You gain Track as a bonus feat, and your scent ability becomes stronger. You are able to smell out visual traits such as textures and colors of the source of the scent, and only suffer 20% concealment attacking unseen or invisible creatures whose squares you have identified.
- Waxing Gibbous: You gain a +2 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Ride, and both are always class skills. You gain Wild Empathy as a druid of your level (or improve existing Wild Empathy by +4), and gain calm animals and speak with animals 1/day as spell-like abilities. The saving throws are based on your highest mental ability modifier.
- Scent (Ex): Mooncursed possess the scent ability.
- Specific Skill (Ex): Choose a single topic, creature, or bit of trivia (such as the color blue, or about spiders, or adventure novels). You gain a +2 circumstance bonus on any skill check related to that topic.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any.
- Favored Class: Druid or Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||70 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d12||130 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d12||95 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Druid + and Ranger +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Any Attribute +|
|Summary||Known as theriajynxed amongst their own, i … |
Known as theriajynxed amongst their own, it is said that they were once lycanthropes who somehow became trapped in their hybrid forms and bred true, forming weaker anthromorphic man-beasts who still feel the call of the night, and whose fates are shaped by the moon.t, and whose fates are shaped by the moon. +
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|