SRD:Bard Spell List
|This material is published under the OGL|
0-Level Bard Spells (Cantrips)
- Dancing Lights: Creates torches or other lights.
- Daze: Humanoid creature of 4 HD or less loses next action.
- Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
- Flare: Dazzles one creature (–1 on attack rolls).
- Ghost Sound: Figment sounds.
- Know Direction: You discern north.
- Light: Object shines like a torch.
- Lullaby: Makes subject drowsy; –5 on Spot and Listen checks, –2 on Will saves against sleep.
- Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.
- Mending: Makes minor repairs on an object.
- Message: Whispered conversation at distance.
- Open/Close: Opens or closes small or light things.
- Prestidigitation: Performs minor tricks.
- Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.
- Resistance: Subject gains +1 on saving throws.
- Summon Instrument: Summons one instrument of the caster’s choice.
1st-Level Bard Spells
- Alarm: Wards an area for 2 hours/level.
- Animate Rope: Makes a rope move at your command.
- Cause Fear: One creature of 5 HD or less flees for 1d4 rounds.
- Charm Person: Makes one person your friend.
- Comprehend Languages: You understand all spoken and written languages.
- Confusion, Lesser: One creature is confused for 1 round.
- Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).
- Detect Secret Doors: Reveals hidden doors within 60 ft.
- Disguise Self: Changes your appearance.
- Erase: Mundane or magical writing vanishes.
- Expeditious Retreat: Your speed increases by 30 ft.
- Feather Fall: Objects or creatures fall slowly.
- Grease: Makes 10-ft. square or one object slippery.
- Hideous Laughter: Subject loses actions for 1 round/ level.
- Hypnotism: Fascinates 2d4 HD of creatures.
- IdentifyM : Determines properties of magic item.
- Magic MouthM : Speaks once when triggered.
- Magic Aura: Alters object’s magic aura.
- Obscure Object: Masks object against scrying.
- Remove Fear: Suppresses fear or gives +4 on saves against fear for one subject + one per four levels.
- Silent Image: Creates minor illusion of your design.
- Sleep: Puts 4 HD of creatures into magical slumber.
- Summon Monster I: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Undetectable Alignment: Conceals alignment for 24 hours.
- Unseen Servant: Invisible force obeys your commands.
- Ventriloquism: Throws voice for 1 min./level.
2nd-Level Bard Spells
- Alter Self: Assume form of a similar creature.
- Animal Messenger: Sends a Tiny animal to a specific place.
- Animal Trance: Fascinates 2d6 HD of animals.
- Blindness/Deafness: Makes subject blind or deaf.
- Blur: Attacks miss subject 20% of the time.
- Calm Emotions: Calms creatures, negating emotion effects.
- Cat's Grace: Subject gains +4 to Dex for 1 min./level.
- Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
- Darkness: 20-ft. radius of supernatural shadow.
- Daze Monster: Living creature of 6 HD or less loses next action.
- Delay Poison: Stops poison from harming subject for 1 hour/ level.
- Detect Thoughts: Allows “listening” to surface thoughts.
- Eagle's Splendor: Subject gains +4 to Cha for 1 min./level.
- Enthrall: Captivates all within 100 ft. + 10 ft./level.
- Fox's Cunning: Subject gains +4 to Int for 1 min./level.
- Glitterdust: Blinds creatures, outlines invisible creatures.
- Glossolalia: Cone-shaped shriek distracts smart foes, makes concentrating difficult.
- Heroism: Gives +2 on attack rolls, saves, skill checks.
- Hold Person: Paralyzes one humanoid for 1 round/level.
- Hypnotic Pattern: Fascinates (2d4 + level) HD of creatures.
- Invisibility: Subject is invisible for 1 min./level or until it attacks.
- Locate Object: Senses direction toward object (specific or type).
- Minor Image: As silent image, plus some sound.
- Mirror Image: Creates decoy duplicates of you (1d4 +1 per three levels, max 8).
- Misdirection: Misleads divinations for one creature or object.
- Pyrotechnics: Turns fire into blinding light or choking smoke.
- Rage: Gives +2 to Str and Con, +1 on Will saves, –2 to AC.
- Scare: Panics creatures of less than 6 HD.
- Shatter: Sonic vibration damages objects or crystalline creatures.
- Silence: Negates sound in 20-ft. radius.
- Sound Burst: Deals 1d8 sonic damage to subjects; may stun them.
- Suggestion: Compels subject to follow stated course of action.
- Summon Monster II: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Summon Swarm: Summons swarm of bats, rats, or spiders.
- Tongues: Speak any language.
- Whispering Wind: Sends a short message 1 mile/level.
3rd-Level Bard Spells
- Blink: You randomly vanish and reappear for 1 round/level.
- Charm Monster: Makes monster believe it is your ally.
- Clairaudience/Clairvoyance: Hear or see at a distance for 1 min./level.
- Confusion: Subjects behave oddly for 1 round/level.
- Crushing Despair: Subjects take –2 on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and checks.
- Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
- Daylight: 60-ft. radius of bright light.
- Deep Slumber: Puts 10 HD of creatures to sleep.
- Dispel Magic: Cancels magical spells and effects.
- Displacement: Attacks miss subject 50%.
- Fear: Subjects within cone flee for 1 round/level.
- Gaseous Form: Subject becomes insubstantial and can fly slowly.
- Geas, Lesser: Commands subject of 7 HD or less.
- Glibness: You gain +30 bonus on Bluff checks, and your lies can escape magical discernment.
- Good Hope: Subjects gain +2 on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and checks.
- Haste: One creature/level moves faster, +1 on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves.
- Illusory ScriptM: Only intended reader can decipher.
- Invisibility Sphere: Makes everyone within 10 ft. invisible.
- Major Image: As silent image, plus sound, smell and thermal effects.
- Phantom Steed: Magic horse appears for 1 hour/level.
- Remove Curse: Frees object or person from curse.
- ScryingF: Spies on subject from a distance.
- Sculpt Sound: Creates new sounds or changes existing ones.
- Secret Page: Changes one page to hide its real content.
- See Invisibility: Reveals invisible creatures or objects.
- Sepia Snake SigilM: Creates text symbol that immobilizes reader.
- Slow: One subject/level takes only one action/round, –1 to AC, reflex saves, and attack rolls.
- Speak with Animals: You can communicate with animals.
- Summon Monster III: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Tiny Hut: Creates shelter for ten creatures.
4th-Level Bard Spells
- Break Enchantment: Frees subjects from enchantments, alterations, curses, and petrification.
- Cure Critical Wounds: Cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +20).
- Detect Scrying: Alerts you of magical eavesdropping.
- Dimension Door: Teleports you short distance.
- Dominate Person: Controls humanoid telepathically.
- Freedom of Movement: Subject moves normally despite impediments.
- Hallucinatory Terrain: Makes one type of terrain appear like another (field into forest, or the like).
- Hold Monster: As hold person, but any creature.
- Invisibility, Greater: As invisibility, but subject can attack and stay invisible.
- Legend LoreMF: Lets you learn tales about a person, place, or thing.
- Locate Creature: Indicates direction to familiar creature.
- Modify Memory: Changes 5 minutes of subject’s memories.
- Neutralize Poison: Immunizes subject against poison, detoxifies venom in or on subject.
- Rainbow Pattern: Lights fascinate 24 HD of creatures.
- Repel Vermin: Insects, spiders, and other vermin stay 10 ft. away.
- Secure Shelter: Creates sturdy cottage.
- Shadow Conjuration: Mimics conjuring below 4th level, but only 20% real.
- Shout: Deafens all within cone and deals 5d6 sonic damage.
- Speak with Plants: You can talk to normal plants and plant creatures.
- Summon Monster IV: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Zone of Silence: Keeps eavesdroppers from overhearing conversations.
5th-Level Bard Spells
- Cure Light Wounds, Mass: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level for many creatures.
- Dispel Magic, Greater: As dispel magic, but +20 on check.
- Dream: Sends message to anyone sleeping.
- False VisionM: Fools scrying with an illusion.
- Heroism, Greater: Gives +4 bonus on attack rolls, saves, skill checks; immunity to fear; temporary hp.
- Mind Fog: Subjects in fog get –10 to Wis and Will checks.
- Mirage Arcana: As hallucinatory terrain, plus structures.
- Mislead: Turns you invisible and creates illusory double.
- Nightmare: Sends vision dealing 1d10 damage, fatigue.
- Persistent Image: As major image, but no concentration required.
- Seeming: Changes appearance of one person per two levels.
- Shadow Evocation: Mimics evocation of lower than 5th level, but only 20% real.
- Shadow Walk: Step into shadow to travel rapidly.
- Song of Discord: Forces targets to attack each other.
- Suggestion, Mass: As suggestion, plus one subject/level.
- Summon Monster V: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
6th-Level Bard Spells
- Analyze DweomerF: Reveals magical aspects of subject.
- Animate Objects: Objects attack your foes.
- Cat's Grace, Mass: As cat’s grace, affects one subject/level.
- Charm Monster, Mass: As charm monster, but all within 30 ft.
- Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level for many creatures.
- Eagle's Splendor, Mass: As eagle’s splendor, affects one subject/level.
- Eyebite: Target becomes panicked, sickened, and comatose.
- Find the Path: Shows most direct way to a location.
- Fox's Cunning, Mass: As fox’s cunning, affects one subject/level.
- Geas/Quest: As lesser geas, plus it affects any creature.
- Heroes' Feast: Food for one creature/level cures and grants combat bonuses.
- Irresistible Dance: Forces subject to dance.
- Permanent Image: Includes sight, sound, and smell.
- Programmed ImageM: As major image, plus triggered by event.
- Project Image: Illusory double can talk and cast spells.
- Scrying, Greater: As scrying, but faster and longer.
- Shout, Greater: Devastating yell deals 10d6 sonic damage; stuns creatures, damages objects.
- Summon Monster VI: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Sympathetic Vibration: Deals 2d10 damage/round to freestanding structure.
- Veil: Changes appearance of group of creatures.
An M or F appearing at the end of a spell’s name in the spell lists denotes a spell with a material or focus component, respectively, that is not normally included in a spell component pouch. An Xdenotes a spell with an XP component paid by the caster.
Order of Presentation: In the spell lists and the spell descriptions that follow them, the spells are presented in alphabetical order by name except for those belonging to certain spell chains.
When a spell’s name begins with “lesser,” “greater,” or “mass,” the spell description is alphabetized under the second word of the spell name instead.
Hit Dice: The term “Hit Dice” is used synonymously with “character levels” for effects that affect a number of Hit Dice of creatures. Creatures with Hit Dice only from their race, not from classes, have character levels equal to their Hit Dice.
Caster Level: A spell’s power often depends on caster level, which is defined as the caster’s class level for the purpose of casting a particular spell. A creature with no classes has a caster level equal to its Hit Dice unless otherwise specified. The word “level” in the spell lists that follow always refers to caster level.
Creatures and Characters: The words “creature” and “character” are used synonymously in the spell descriptions.
Back to Main Page → System Reference Document → Spells