Zherihnghil (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Not unlike a upright pangolin, except with a gem on their head. From space.
While it would usually be incorrect to judge a race by the standards of one member, in the case of the Zherihnghil, it's downright accurate. They are a recently freed race, having been altered extensively by the uberich, designed partially for doing repairs in the hard vacuum of space without wasting time suiting up, partially for energy harvesting. After a bloody revolt, they managed to destroy a Uberich research ship, before fleeing across the stars.
The Zherihnghil were designed for repairing things, and even though they have earned their freedom, they still fix things constantly. If they sleep at all, the first thing they do when waking up is look around for something that isn't working at full capacity, and get cracking. More then a few Zherhinghil decide to become full blown gadgeters.
The average Zherihnghil is about 7 feet, 5 inches tall, weighs 200 lbs, and has blue eyes. The race is devoid of hair, and in it's place is tough scales, sharp enough to cut ropes. They have no claws on their hands, but they might as well, with their scales. They have a tail, usually just long enough to touch the ground if it lies loose.
All Zherihnghil hate the uberich. Many spend their time hunting them down, carving them up, always leaving a sigil burned onto their forehead where the Zherihnghil house their gem.
Aside from the uberich slavers, they often cross paths with the Seppia, who they get along very well with. The hardy appilon are admired for their survival on a world that would kill lesser races, and the Uongo-mijusis are strange to them, but often are worth hanging around, trading energy for passage aboard their ships, and some food. Every now and then they will come across the v'kai, who tend to surprise them when they show up on them without any explanation as to why they are hanging around. Aside from the initial surprise, they get along well, much like a old married couple, though.
The fury of their enslavement by the Uberich have left the race strongly focussed on freedom and rights. As such, they are highly chaotic. But their plight left them fighting for more then their race, taking on slavers and bigots where ever they go, so they tend to be more good than evil, but a few have grown bitter from it.
The Zherihnghil have no true homeland, but they were originally from a jungle world where they were somewhere near the bottom of the food chain because of how they fed. The largest habitat for theirs is in the ruins of a destroyed Uberich Research ship, which they have altered heavily and restored atmosphere in places for those without their energy crystal.
While they posses telepathy, the Zherihnghil are quite good at learning the languages of the place they stay. All Zherihnghil know common, but can learn any other language(save secret ones, like Druidic).
Names are something the Zherihnghil are learning, having been without them for too long, going by barcodes instead of names. Now that they are free, however, they pick up nicknames like the solar winds they travel. Most nicknames are a adjective noun style name. Blue water, Blazing Sky, White Hawk, like that.
- +2 Int, -2 Str
- Outsider, Xenotheric
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Zherihnghil have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- +5 natural armor
- Discord(Ex): All members of this race posses the ability to generate intense feelings of Paranoia and Fear among those within 30 ft by spending a bio-energy point(or bio-energy drain) per target, causing them to bicker and yell, preventing meaningful discussion. Worse, if they do not have the same alignment, the yelling becomes heated and attacks are made at each other. Even worse, if the character takes a point of bio-energy drain, the character can shift their alignment two steps(LE to NE then CE, or TN, for example). Bickering lasts 5d4 rounds, fighting begins after 1d4 rounds and lasts 2d4 rounds, or until bickering ends.
- Bio-Energy Supercharge: Like most xenotheric species, the zherihnghil house large amounts of untapped energy within their body, called a Bio-Energy Pool. Unlike most xenotheric species, they gain 6+(constitution times two) points, as they were altered to generate and store more then others. They also gain two bio-energy back each minute, or double the amount they would normally receive if higher then that(such as if they had have Improved Bio-Regeneration). Bio-Energy drain heals at the normal rate, however.
- Energy Crystal(Ex): All Members of this race have a gem on their forehead, worth about 750 GP based by looks alone. To those who know more about it, it can be sold for up to 1,000,000 GP, depending on who the gem came from, not the gem itself. But this is the upper limit, as the gem is worth 200 GP per bio-energy point stored in it. This gem is the focus of this races bio-energy, and as such contains it, as well as allows them to generate it. Without it, they lose their Bio-Energy pool, and can not access any feats or abilities which use it. In addition, they lose their Minor Foreseeing ability, and must eat, sleep, and breathe like a normal creature. However, the gem can not be taken by force, as it is literally part of the races head, taking up a full third of their forehead, and if not given, will explode upon death. It does grow back, however, after a few months, returning one ability or feat per month, gaining their actual Bio-Energy pool back as soon all other gifts are back. This gem can be used as a power source both for Bio-Energy uses and for energy weapons, as well as rigged to explode when disturbed. Info on these uses later.
- Final Destination: The Zherihnghil have chafed under the rule of the Uberich, and grew rebellious. But when the Uberich tortured captured Zherihnghil to get info on where the rebels were located, they learned that they wanted freedom so much, that they were willing to die for it. All Zherihnghil can detonate their Energy Crystal, killing them outright, and dealing 2d12 untyped damage per unspent Bio-Energy point in their Bio-Energy Pool in a 40' spread, centered on their head. This may be used as a free action which can be taken any time they are able to think, and is used automatically upon hitting -10 HP unless the Zherihnghil decides otherwise.
- Bonus Feats: Astroadaptation, Weaponize Bio-Energy, and one bonus Xenotheric Feat of their choice, which they must qualify for.
- Those attacking a Zherihnghil in melee without a reach weapon take 1d6 slashing damage per round. Those grappling them take 1d8 slashing damage per round.
- Two Claw Natural Attacks, dealing 1d4 damage. A Zherihnghil with Improved Grapple may make two extra claw attacks when grappling, much like having two rake attacks.
- No need to breathe, or sleep, or eat(so long as their Energy Crystal is intact).
- Telepathy 100 feet.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any non-secret.
- Favored Class: Psion, Psychic, Evolutionist
- Level Adjustment: +2
- Effective Character Level: 3
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|400 years||1000 years||3000 years||+Unlimited years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||7' 0"||+1d10||170 lb.||× (x6) lb.|
|Female||7' 0"||+1d6||160 lb.||× (x8) lb.|