Innate Bender (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
All benders are born with the ability to bend an element of their heritage. For some however the element are a part of their inner self rather than an external substance to merely manipulate.
Origins of Innate Benders
Innate benders are the result of centuries of benders being born in a single human community that have increasingly grown in strength after each generation. This bond with their respective element eventually leads to the rare child that is considered to be a true part of their element. Innate benders are only born within human communities due to the more malleable nature of human physiology compare to other races.
Innate benders of fire are prone to be short tempered and act often on impulse. Innate Airbenders are often comfortable with allowing life to flow around them like the breeze and will attempt to avoid unnecessary conflict. Innate Earthbenders will often be overly stubborn and set in their ways, unyielding like stone. Innate Waterbenders are highly adaptive, using the environment and strength of their enemies to their benefit.
Airbenders tend towards more lithe builds, while earthbenders are stockier. Apart from this thr physical appearance innate benders are the same as humans native to whatever geographic location they are born in with one key exception. Their elemental link is shown through their eye color. Innate firebenders have eyes that mirror flames, tending towards amber shades, earthbenders have green eyes, waterbenders have rich blue eyes like the sea while airbenders eyes are the grey of stormclouds.
All innate benders are drawn to connection with others that share a connection to their collective elements. Innate benders often struggle most with dealing with innate benders of their opposite element, water/fire and air/earth. Apart from this innate benders mix with other races without bias like other humans.
As with all humans, innate benders have no particular alignment preferences.
Innate benders are born into human lands that match their elemental connections. Airbenders hail from mountainous regions, firebenders from hot and arid environments, with waterbenders coming from coastal areas or frozen tundras. Earthbenders can be born into any environment that has ready access to dirt and stone.
Innate benders have a preference where available for patrons of their respective elements, but sometimes follow the local major deity, with two exceptions. Firebenders will almost always worship a deity of the sun while Waterbenders practically never worship sun deities unless under extreme circumstances, leaning toward lunar deities.
In addition to speaking common, the majority of innate benders of reasonable intelligence will learn the elemental language of their bending. Airbenders speak auran, earthbenders terran, firebenders ignan and waterbenders aquian.
At birth innate benders are given a standard human name, but often gain a nickname related to their elemental abilities.
- Humanoid (Human)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, an innate bender has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Innate Bender base land speed is 30 feet.
- Bending (Ex): Each innate bender is able to use a single non damage dealing bend from the minor bend list from the bender of Air Earth Fire or Water list with one exception. The bend can not be based on the basic bend ability of the class. You bending level for this bend is based on your HD. Knowing this single bend does not allow for innate benders to take bendng feats
- Blood of the Elements: Innate benders are treated as thought they have the appropriate elemental subtype for the purposes of spells and feats, including being able to take elemental feats .
- Connected Bender: Any non bending class level that an innate bender's takes count as 1/2 level for determining bending level.
- Elemental Linguist: An innate bender of intelligence 10 or higher speaks the element language related to their bending. This does not count against the normal limit of languages known based on intelligence bonus.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
- Favored Class: Bender
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||53 years||70 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 10”||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4’ 5”||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Article Balance||High +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Bender +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||None +|
|Summary||All benders are born with the ability to bend an element of their heritage. For some however the element are a part of their inner self rather than an external substance to merely manipulate. +|
|Title||Innate Bender +|