Ska'drin (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
An ancient humanoid race with old ties to runic magic. Long ago, there was an empire of great power, wielding magic born from runes carved into stone. They chiseled and hauled stone, building cities that have long crumbled and been consumed by the surrounding jungle. Artifacts from these ruins are sometimes found, and are filled with runic power.
This is a D&D 3.5e adaption of the Ska'drin race from the game Paladins: Champions of the Realm. All rights belong to the original creators, this is just my adaption. Finally, this race may change when the developers of the game release more information on the race.
Ska'drin have been horribly maligned, called demons for their appearance and have been brought to the brink of extinction not once but twice. Most of them hide their heritage as best as they can to fit in and avoid the prejudice that has haunted their kind for generations.
Ska'drin are human-sized, and vary as much as humans do, though their skin tends toward pallor, their hair toward dark shades and their eyes toward red, gold and orange. Their most notable features are their horns and bull-like tails, both of which they normally keep covered. Some might even go to the extent of filing their horns and docking their tails to fit in.
Most Ska'drin bear tattoos in various runic patterns, and their armor and weapons are typically made from stone and adorned with sigils, strongly resembling Aztec and Greek stonework in style and shape.
Having been nearly wiped out in the past, the Ska'drin tend to keep to themselves, and are slow to trust others. Most races dislike Ska'drin and distrust them for their magic and appearance - Indeed, they are often mistaken for Tieflings, which is one of the reasons they end up called demons.
Ska'drin of the present are most often neutral, just trying to blend in and get by. Those that instead choose to embrace their heritage and try to prove the world wrong about the Ska'drin generally tend toward Chaotic Good.
Ska'drin originate from a jungle environment; In Faerun, this would be the southern part of the map, near Chult. In Eberron, they can be found just about anywhere the Drow might be.
The old pantheon has long been forgotten, and those that do take up a religious path often worship deities of protection, magic, knowledge and freedom.
Most Ska'drin speak Common to fit in, but their old language is still passed down to each generation. The Ska'drin racial language shares many similarities with Elven, Draconic, Abyssal and Infernal, and those who know one or more of those languages can partially understand Ska'drin.
Most of their names are Common/human names, or names taken from the Elven or Draconic languages.
- +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Ska'drin struggle to trust others, but are a hardy and willful race, survivors one and all.
- Humanoid: Ska'drin, while often mistaken for Tieflings or some Satyr halfbreed, are pretty normal compared to the rumors and prejudice that surround them.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a ska'drin has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Ska'drin base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A ska'drin can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a ska'drin can function just fine with no light at all.
- Spelltouched (Su): The Ska'drin are infused with magic. Their unarmed attacks, natural weapons and any held weapons count as magic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction, as well as for hitting incorporeal creatures.
- Kiss of the Wild Empire (Ex): Ska'drin possess many offensive and defensive abilities, dating back to their ancient reign. They have a headbutt attack, which is a primary natural weapon dealing 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage. They have a +1 natural armor bonus, gain +1 HP per HD, and possess DR 1/Magic that stacks with other permanent sources of Damage Reduction.
- Skill Bonuses (Ex): Ska'drin have a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft and Use Magic Device/Use Psionic Device checks. These skills are also always considered class skills.
- Mark of the Ska'drin: All Ska'drin have birthmarks in the form of runes that shift as they age and settle into an intricate design when they reach adulthood (Adulthood is actually determined by when the birthmarks settle, rather than a fixed age). Upon character creation, choose one of the following; Once chosen, it cannot be changed. All saving throw DCs are Constitution-based.
- Mark of Arcana (Sp): Your birthmark lies on one shoulder and the opposite hip. Choose two 0th-level spells and one 1st-level spell from any class list. You can cast these as spell-like abilities at will with a caster level equal to 1/2 your hit dice. The 0th-level spells drain 1 HP from you upon use, while the 1st-level spell drains 3.
- Mark of Eldritch Might (Sp): Your birthmark covers one entire arm and part of that shoulder. You gain Eldritch Blast +1d6, and learn one Least invocation. You use these at will at an invoker level equal to 1/2 your HD.
- Mark of The Black Heart (Sp): Your birthmark is a black mass in the center of your chest, with bits radiating outward from the center like a spiderweb. You gain +1 HP per HD. You also gain the Dark Blow class feature of a Gate Knight equal to your HD, and you learn one Least Sacrifice from the Gate Knight class list, casting it at an invoker level equal to 1/2 your HD.
- Mark of Shadow (Su): Your birthmark manifests as a thin layer over your skin, spiderweb patterns making the shadows that fall across you significantly darker in contrast to the light that hits you. You gain two Fundamental mysteries and any one Apprentice mystery, usable at will with a caster level equal to 1/2 your HD. The Fundamental mysteries cost 1 HP upon use, while the Apprentice mystery costs 3 HP. At 7th level, the Apprentice mystery becomes a Spell-like ability; At 13th level, it becomes a Supernatural ability.
- Mark of Mental Prowess (Ps): Your birthmark lies on your forehead, trailing across your scalp, down your neck and down your spine, stopping at your lower back. You gain the Psionic subtype and Power Points equal to your Constitution score. You also learn any two 1st-level Powers of your choice, and can manifest them at a Manifester level equal to 1/2 your HD.
- Mark of the Beastfriend (Su): Your birthmark lies on your lower torso. You gain an Animal Companion and Wild Empathy, using 1/3 your HD in place of your Druid level.
- Mark of the Mystic Bond (Su): Your birthmark lies around your neck like a wide collar, trailing down your spine. You gain a Familiar, using 1/3 your HD in place of your Wizard level.
- Mark of the Warborn (Ex) or (Su): Your birthmark lies on your arms and waist. Choose any two 1st-level maneuvers and any 1st-level stance. You can ready, use and recover these as a Warblade, with an initiator level equal to 1/2 your HD.
- Mark of the Spirit-Touched (Su): Your birthmark covers your heart and arcs over one shoulder to the back of your neck. You gain the Incarnum subtype, Essentia points equal to 1 point of your Constitution modifier per 2 character levels, and the ability to shape any two Soulmelds of your choosing, with a Meldshaper level equal to 1/2 your HD.
- Mark of the Soulbound (Su): Your birthmark manifests as bands around your neck, wrists, ankles and waist. You gain the Soulbound template, but without the +1 level adjustment. You use Constitution in place of Charisma for your binding check.
- Mark of the Elemental Soul (Su): Your birthmark depicts dancing flame, chaotic wind, solid crystal or crushing waves. Choose one element: Air, Earth, Fire, or Water. You gain the Bender Dabbling feat for that element, using your HD in place of BAB.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Ska'drin.
- Bonus Languages: Elven, Draconic, Infernal, Abyssal
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|65 years||90 years||150 years||+5d12 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6'||+/- 2d8"||185 lb.||+/- 2d10 lbs.|
|Female||6'||+/- 2d8"||160 lb.||+/- 2d10 lbs.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Constitution +, +2 Wisdom + and -2 Charisma +|
|Summary||An ancient humanoid race with old ties to runic magic. +|