Zeitgeist (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Fat ugly slugs who have perfected the art of suggestion
Zeitgeists philosophy is much like The Grand Inquisitor, from Brothers Karamazov, by Feodor Dostoevsky. (Which is too long to post here).
They have come to realise that there is no such thing as good or evil, and that most creatures cannot take care of themselves. Thus it is their purpose in life to let the children be children; let the children fight, and have fantastical ideas when necessary. For the zeitgeists must play the adults, only they will worry about the universe.
Happiness requires grand spectacles and continued entertainment. All societies must have them as cornerstones. The catchwords "Democracy", "Equality", "Freedom", and the greatest fallacy of all – “Choice” – must always be fought for in theatres and romance. To seduce the masses, they will give gifts of success; and may even create outside antagonists to unify. Power is more effective by building bonds of trust, admiration, and love.
Zeitgeists are large blue slug-like beings.
Relations and History
Zeitgeist keep as far away form other slaver races as possible (hekatonped, setenall, and uberich). Zeitgeists have a reputation for public humiliation and torture of slavers. They commonly have mijusi bodyguard in there employment. They also like to have a few ambassadors from the system they are inhabiting - these are only for public relations, no real decisions are made with them around.
The Zeitgeist Dynasty had grown to such a power, that they could move whole solar systems to fit their needs. They would take over a system, then move the planets of value into the Dynasties home system. Allowing for easier and quicker communication across the empire.
Very few know what really happened in the final decades of the Zeitgeist Dynasty. The truth is, they were attempting to create a series of RNA strands, that would force options on races - and remove certain personality traits. Therefore a race could have 2 ways of living, and thinking or rebelling would not be one of them. This was in addition to the resource destroyer. Creating scarcity can be highly profitable, and makes an exponential amount of willing desperate slaves. As the fates would have it, a very small group of uongo-mijusi, were able to use this resource destroyer to implode the solar system into a black hole, and destroy the hierarchy. This was a suicide mission, and no mijusi knows of what really happened.
Usually lawful evil.
Celestial, Common, Infernal, Zeit.
- -2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Charisma: Why be physical if one can make others do the job.
- Aberration (Xenotheric)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a zeitgeist has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Powerful Bulk: The bulk of zeitgeists lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a zeitgeist is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the zeitgeist is treated as one size larger. A zeitgeist is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. Also the above benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category. Unlike powerful build, a zeitgeist cannot use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty.
- Bright-light Vision: A zeitgeits can see in bright light 40’.
- Darkvision: A zeitgeist can see in the dark up to 40’.
- Slime Speed (Ex): Zeitgeist have a Slime speed of 20’.
- The slime is secreted from its underside of the zeitgeist. If unable to produce this mucus (normally due to severe Con damage), the creature becomes immobile. The zeitgeist with this ability can use it to climb walls and ceilings, including non-sticky surfaces. (Much like the wall walker power.) The slime remains on a surface for 2d4 rounds at night, or in wet conditions; but only 1d4 rounds during the day, or in dry conditions. These surfaces are under an effect similar to ectoplasmic sheen for the full duration.
- Racial Hit Dice: A zeitgeist begins with two levels of aberration, which provide 2d8 HD, a BAB of +1, and Fort +0, Ref +0 and Will +3.
- Racial Skills: His aberration levels give him skill points equal to (4+Int modifier, minimum 1) per HD, with quadruple skill points for the first HD. His class skills are: bluff, control shape, diplomacy, intimidate, knowledge, listen, gather information, perform, sense motive, spot, ride and speak language.
- Bonus Feat: A zeitgeist's outsider levels give him one extra feat.
- Bio-Energy (Ex): Xenotheric metabolism is capable of yielding large amounts of biological energy that can be used for different purposes. A xenotheric creature's bio-energy pool can hold a maximum amount of charges equal to 3 plus the Xenotheric creature's Constitution modifier (minimum 1), and recharges at a rate of 1 charge per minute. These charges may be expended to facilitate certain special powers. Some of these powers are exclusive to specific Xenotheric species, whereas others can be accessed through various Xenotheric feats.
- Anti-Clairvoyance (Su) (1 bio-energy/round): At 4HD as a full-round action, a zeitgeists can hide themselves from clairsentiences and divinations and protect themselves from alignment-specific attacks. This acts like escape detection, except applies to spells as well. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3+Constitution modifier (can ended prematurely); and can be done 2/day at 4HD (increasing to 3/day at 7HD & 4/day 10HD).
- Star Form (Su) (4 bio-energy/minute): At 6HD, a zeitgeist can assume the form of a creature that the masses revere. This can only be of the same type as the masses, or an outsider; the new form cannot have more HD then the zeitgeist. In the star form, a zeitgeist loses its slime speed and powerful bulk features, replacing them with features of the Star. This is in many ways an illusion, as such a zeitgeist cannot use any natural attacks or special abilities of the Star form (but is otherwise a new species). A change in form cannot be dispelled, but the zeitgeist reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals its natural form. A zeitgeist can remain in this form for two minutes per HD; and can only do this 2/day.
- Automatic Languages: Celestial, Common, Infernal, Zeit
- Bonus Languages: Any
- Favored Class: Biomancer, Blackguard, Cleric, Grimoire Necromancer, Toxinblade, Weeper, Witch, Witch Doctor
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 3
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|25 years||45 years||65 years||+2d6 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4'||+3d4||200 lb.||× (5d10) lb.|
|Female||5'||+3d6||300 lb.||× (10d10) lb.|
|Author||Franken Kesey +|
|Effective Character Level||3 +|
|Favored Class||Biomancer +, Blackguard +, Cleric +, Grimoire Necromancer +, Toxinblade +, Weeper +, Witch + and Witch Doctor +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength +, -2 Dexterity + and +4 Charisma +|
|Summary||Fat ugly slugs who have perfected the art of suggestion +|