Chaos Engineer (3.5e Prestige Class)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A Chaos Engineer blow shit up with bombs. 5 Other Other
|“||There is no problem that cannot be solved by liberal the use of high explosives.||”|
|—Nexx, Chaos Engineer|
Most engineer build things, they are creator and sometime put their talents in destroying things. Chaos Engineers are similar, they create things that destroy other things, also called bombs. They are expert at making various explosives, but they do not take the scientific competent approach a lawful engineer would, they instead take the dangerous, reckless and frankly retarded path of making highly unstable but hella strong bombs. Their creations are usually prone to malfunctions and are unreliable, as well as taking time to set up... but when it work it marvelous. Chaos Engineer usually see themselves as artist and often practice other craft
Chaos Engineer are good at fighting, throwing bombs, rockets and other awful explosive aperture at others. However they are at their best with prep time, allowing them to build massive bombs and set up perfect ambushes.
Becoming a Chaos Engineer
|Base Attack Bonus:||+3.|
|Skills:||Craft (Explosive) 8 ranks, Knowledge Skill (Engineering) 8 ranks.|
|Feats:||Alchemical Mastery (Charisma).|
|Special:||Must have blown up a: den of evil (chaotic good), government building (chaotic neutral), orphanage (chaotic evil) or all the choices above. This requirement is mostly a joke, any large structure will do.|
All of the following are class features of the Chaos Engineer.
Detonator: A Chaos Engineer know that doing things close and personal is fine but sometime you need to put a little distance between you and your work and passion. That why the detonator was created, a small handheld device that take a negligible amount of resource and time to make (take 1 hours for the Chaos Engineer to create a new one if the old one is damaged or lost). The detonator is used to detonate some explosive created with the create bomb class feature however it only work at a certain distance. At first the detonator only work in close range, at 3rd level this increase to medium range and finally at 5th level this increase to long range. Pressing the detonator is a swift, move or immediate action and cause any explosive within it range to explode, as if it was activated normally.
Explosive Expert (Ex): Chaos Engineers are best when making bombs and other stuff that blow up very very hard. When Chaos Engineer use explosive weapons, such as alchemist fire, bomb, grenade bolas, weapons with the exploding enhancement, an item with the self-destruct item template or any explosive created by their create explosive class feature it receive a scaling bonus to damages dealt (additional damage match the damage dealt with the weapon/ability) and DC (if any), see the table above for numbers. explosive expert do not stack with itself.
As a side bonus the Chaos Engineer receive a +4 bonus per class level to disable device against explosive.
Craft Explosive: A chaos engineer is pretty good at making some of the deadliest explosive on earth, she gain the benefit craft magic arms and armor for the purpose of crafting magical bombs, magical grenade bolas and exploding weapons. If she already possess the feat she count as having all having all the required spells for crafting bombs and exploding weapons and gain an extra 10% discount.
Additionally a chaos engineer meet the requirement for making self-destruct items, if she normally meet the prerequisite she halves the price of the self-destruct item template (so a 10d6 explosive would cost only 1,250 gp instead of 2,500 gp).
Create Bomb: A Chaos Engineers are capable of making very powerful explosive on the go. These bombs are highly unstable and such cannot be moved or else they will detonate, although they remain active indefinitely and require a 1-round action to craft (unless noted otherwise). If you are interrupted during the creation of the bomb (such as being forcibly moved or attacked) the bomb is wasted and you need to start over. When making bombs she need to pay any material components needed for the spells or power used and any listed in the particular bomb entry, the rest of the material made to use the bomb is just worthless knick-knacks.
You may only have a number of bomb created (except makeshift bomb) equal to your class levels at any given time. . The bomb is typically crafted on an adjacent square to her, with the exception of makeshift bombs. The bomb a chaos engineer can make is based on her craft (explosive) ranks:
Makeshift Bombs (Ex): Require 8 ranks in craft (explosive). As a swift action the Chaos Engineer can create 1d4+her class in bombs or alchemist's fire, these explosives become stagnant within 3 rounds. Once created they automatically fall under the effect of greater magic weapon with a caster level equal to your character level. Unlike normal bombs these bombs are portables and can be safely carried and do not count in your normal bomb limit.
- Paint Makeshift Bombs: Require 8 ranks in craft (explosive) and 8 ranks in a painting related skill (such as perform or craft). A paint makeshift bomb act as a bombs except it deal no damage and cover the target in paint, any creature caught in the blast suffer the same penalties as if they were affected by the dust bomb spell except with paint instead of dust.
- Poisonous Makeshift Bombs: Require 9 ranks in craft (explosive) and (alchemy). As makeshift bombs except all bombs created also carry one dose of any poison used in the making of the bomb. This bomb require one dose of poison.
- Hellfire Makeshift Bombs: Require 13 ranks in craft (explosive) and (alchemy). You can create alchemical hellfire with your makeshift bomb ability.
- Gelfire Makeshift Bombs: Require 15 ranks in craft (explosive) and (alchemy). You can create unique alchemical gelfire with your create bomb ability. Gelfire behave as alchemical hellfire, any creatures affected is covered in hellfire gel which act as tanglefoot bag. The hellfire gel deal 1d6+1 point of hellfire damage per class level each turn (dealing damage at the start of any covered creature's turn) and burn forever until it is scraped off, the covered creature become fully immersed in water or removed one way or another. Multiple application of gelfire don't stack.
Pyrotechnics (Ex): Require 8 ranks in craft (explosive). This bomb is an assortment of various device that when detonated replicate the effect of pyrotechnics (firework or smoke cloud decided upon detonation). This bomb is detonated with a detonator.
Bang Rounds (Ex): Require 9 ranks in craft (explosive). As bang rounds, unlike a normal bomb this bomb require only a standard action to make and are portable. No matter how many marbles are created each instance of bang rounds count as one bomb for the purpose of how many bomb you can have at any time.
Gas Bomb (Ex): Require 11 ranks in craft (explosive) and (alchemy). This bomb replicate the effect of stinking cloud except it also spread any contact or inhaled poison built into the bomb. This bomb require four doses of the poison as material component.
Energy Bomb (Ps): Require 12 ranks in craft (explosive). This bomb replicate the effect of the energy bomb power with a range of touch. This bomb is activated as soon as it planted (lucky for you it need to charge up).
Large Fucking Rocket (Ex): Require 13 ranks in craft (explosive) and the mad rocketeer class feature. Less of a bomb and more of an oversized rocket, this behave as huge bombs with a range increment of 1000 feet and count as a siege weapon. It require a full-round action to fire the rocket and you always take a -6 penalty to attack. In order to make this bomb you need one ounce of F.U.E.L.. A large fucking rocket require 5 minute to create and weight 100 lbs if made portable through the portable bomb class feature.
- Piloted Large Fucking Rocket: Require 13 ranks in craft (explosive), the mad rocketeer class feature and 6 ranks in profession (Pilot) (or similar skill). You are an idiot, so you made the rocket pilotable. This behave much like a large fucking rocket, except you ride on it. You gain a fly speed of 1000 feet (poor) for 3 round, then a gliding speed of 100 feet for 1 round before it crashes and explode. When it crashes you take the damage as if you were caught in the explosion, your evasion ability is reduced by one step and you take falling damage as normal (although reduced a lot if you glided toward the ground in the last round).
- Large Fucking Delivery System: Require 15 ranks in craft (explosive) and the mad rocketeer class feature. This work as the Large Fucking Rocket except instead of it normal payload you load another bomb (a classic bomb by example) you created inside the rocket. The bomb explode as the rocket crash or when detonated, whichever come first. This does not change the normal means of detonations a particular bomb has. When first launched there is a 5% chance that the rocket explode on startup, essentially in your face and there is a 20% chance it explode in the middle of it course.
- Piloted Large Fucking Delivery System: Require 15 ranks in craft (explosive), the mad rocketeer class feature and and 6 ranks in profession (Pilot). as the large fucking delivery system but piloted like the piloted large fucking rocket.
Hellfire Bomb (Su): Require 14 ranks in craft (explosive). An upgrade of the classic bomb, when this bomb is detonated it replicate the effect of delayed fireball except it deal hellfire damage. Even better a second tap on the detonator bypass the whole delayed part and make it blow up right away.
Unstable Bomb (Ex): Require 16 ranks in craft (explosive). The chaos engineer create an extremely unstable bomb, at the beginning of each of your turn it has a 50% chance of blowing up on it own and when you press the detonator it has a 50% chance of ignoring it. However when it blow up ti replicate the effect of merton except the damage is pure hellfire.
Fat Kid (Ex): Require 21 ranks in craft (explosive). When detonated this bomb replicate the effect of superexplosion except the damage is fire, sonic and bludgeoning (so you need resistant or immunity to all for it to apply). This bomb require a fusion cell as one of it material component. This bomb take an hour to make.
Bigga Bomba (Ex): Require 23 ranks in craft (explosive). When detonated this bomb replicate the effect of nine acre fire except the damage is fire, sonic and bludgeoning (so you need resistant or immunity to all for it to apply). This bomb require a four fusion cells as one of it material component. This bomb take 24 hours to make.
Orbital Mortar (Ex): Require 23 ranks in craft (explosive) and the anarchy in the recipe class feature. When detonated this bomb shoot into the air, exactly 1 round later it replicate the effect of meteoric mortar. You still need to concentrate on it as normal. This bomb cannot be detonated remotely and can only be detonated as a full-round action. This bomb require a four fusion cells as one of it material component. This bomb take 24 hours to make.
Evasion: As the rogue.
Unhinged Confidence (Ex): A 1st level Chaos Engineer is empowered by unhinged confidence in her skills, this allow her to add her charisma modifier on her will saves. if she already has a similar ability (such as a Paladin's Divine Grace) she become immune to [fear] effect instead.
Improved Evasion: As the rogue.
Portable Explosive: A 4th level Chaos Engineer can make up to two of her bomb portable, the bomb become stable enough to be carried around. The mode of detonation of the bomb does not change, meaning only a few bombs can be safely carried for any amount of time.
A Dose of Anarchy In the Recipe: A 5th level a Chaos Engineer add the anarchic enhancement to all her explosive (especially useful with bomb and alchemist fire). Additionally her explosive are so chaotic they now ignore evasion, mettle and reduce and their improved version, however her own evasion still applies.
|Article Balance||High +|
|Base Attack Bonus Progression||Good +|
|Class Ability||Other +|
|Class Ability Progression||Other +|
|Fortitude Save Progression||Poor +|
|Identifier||3.5e Prestige Class +|
|Minimum Level||5 +|
|Rated By||Eiji-kun +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Reflex Save Progression||Good +|
|Skill||Balance +, Bluff +, Climb +, Concentration +, Craft +, Decipher Script +, Disable Device +, Disguise +, Escape Artist +, Forgery +, Gather Information +, Handle Animal +, Hide +, Intimidate +, Jump +, Knowledge +, Listen +, Move Silently +, Open Lock +, Perform +, Profession +, Ride +, Search +, Sense Motive +, Sleight of Hand +, Speak Language +, Spot +, Survival +, Swim +, Tumble +, Use Magic Device + and Use Rope +|
|Skill Points||6 +|
|Summary||A Chaos Engineer blow shit up with bombs. +|
|Title||Chaos Engineer +|
|Will Save Progression||Poor +|