Hybrid Saiyan (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
I got the idea to make this race after using and seeing The-Marksman interpretation of the Saiyan race and class. Many of the abilities of a Hybrid Saiyan are the same as a regular Saiyan, so I used The-Marksman's race Saiyans for a reference point for this classes abilities. Many of these are direct quotes from his material and deserves full credit and recognition for their work
|“||Vegeta: “At any rate, the battle power of Kakarot’s son is unusually high, even by the standards of Saiyan children.” Nappa: “Maybe his reading was wrong.” Vegeta: “No, it wasn’t wrong. Raditz really took a large amount of damage from that brat’s attack. It seems that mixing Saiyan and Earthling blood begets a powerful hybrid.”||”|
|—Conversation between Saiyan Prince Vegeta and Saiyan Elite Nappa|
Hybrid Saiyans are a cross breed between Humans and Saiyans. These beings are incredibly strong, mixing the fighting prowess of a Saiyan, while keeping the general intelligence and potential of a Human. Most Hybrids are raised on Earth and are almost indistinguishable from a regular human, besides sometimes having a monkey-like tail.
Most Hybrids are no different from most Humans. They tend to have a moderate and kind disposition, but are not incapable of evil and thoughtless acts. Though sometimes when put into situations of extreme stress and duress, they can explode with extreme anger, making them more powerful and completely unpredictable fighters. Many often become adventurers and great warriors. Though unlike Saiyans who like to wander the world, Hybrids will usually stick to an area, often acting as a protector or hero in the community.
Hybrids look usually no different than a human. Sometimes they will have weird or unusual hair. The only notable difference is that most Hybrids are born with Saiyan tails, and can transform into a mighty Oozaru. It is possible for a Hybrid to be born without a tail, and may be subject to different abilities, see "Important for all Hybrids" in the racial stats below.
Hybrids get along with any Chaotic good or neutral race generally, liking to take justice into their own hands to the point of sometimes becoming vigilantes. They sometimes have difficulty with more lawful types but never show any undue aggression or hatred for these races. Unlike most mixed races, Hybrids do not suffer much from racism from their human side. However many Saiyan's can view Hybrids as a threat, or resent their talent.
Most Hybrids are some form of Chaotic; but unlike their Saiyan parent, lean toward Chaotic Good for the most part.
Hybrids have no land or people to speak of. Most Hybrids are simply raised by their Human and Saiyan parents and are adopted into Human society with little to no problems since their appearance isn't to different from either a Saiyan or Human. Most of the time they will be raised by their Human parent while their Saiyan parent is off adventuring or training. Even if raised in a Saiyan community, they often are respected for their great strength and leadership, although this strength can lead to some Saiyans resenting, or downright hating them out of jealousy or fear.
They have no notable religious practices or philosophies and like humans, heavily vary from person to person. They will tend to lean of course to good aligned gods, like Kord or Corellon. But usually simply respect them and their followers, rather than being a follower themselves.
All Hybrids speak common as both parents are common speaking races.
- Gohan, Goten, Trunks
- Bulla, Pan
|Important for all Hybrids|
| There is a very important distinction to be made between Hybrid Saiyans born with tails, and Hybrid Saiyans born without tails.
Hybrid Saiyans born WITH tails have access to the mighty Oozaru form and Hybrid rage. This is due to the Saiyan side being more dominant than the Human side, making them more prone to bouts of extreme aggression in certain situations.
Hybrid Saiyans born WITHOUT tails do NOT have access to Oozaru form or Hybrid rage. However, they do gain extra skill points per level as Humans do, and an extra feat at 1st level. They also canonically gain access to the form Super Saiyan much faster than a normal Saiyan or tailed Hybrid Saiyan. Instead of being able to access Super Saiyan at 11th level, they can gain this form at 7th level. This only applies to regular Super Saiyan and NOT Super Saiyan 2 or onward and still gain access to Super Saiyan 2 at 15th level. This is due to the Human side being more dominate than the Saiyan side, making them less aggressive but slightly more talented overall.
- +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: Hybrid Saiyans are a mixture of Human and Saiyan. This mixture is extraordinarily powerful. Their human blood works to their clear advantage, being smarter and generally more charismatic than their pure-blooded counterparts, while still having the strength, stamina, and speed of a Saiyan. And in most cases, surpassing them entirely.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a hybrid saiyan has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Hybrid Saiyan base land speed is 30 feet.
- Tail: Hybrid Saiyans have a fully prehensile tail which grants them a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks, and is the source of their Oozaru transformation. The tail has 4 hp per HD of the Hybrid and a maximum carrying capacity equal to the Hybrid's base strength score −6.
- A Hybrid Saiyan's tail can be removed by anyone with a slashing weapon making an attack roll against the tail. Hybrid Saiyans may wear the tail around their waist for an additional +10 bonus to AC against attack rolls made against their tails. Hybrid Saiyans who lose their tail immediately lose their racial skill bonuses, their Oozaru alternate form ability, and take a −4 penalty on Balance, Climb, Jump, Move Silently, Swim, and Tumble checks for that day. The penalty is reduced by 1 at the end of each following day. Tails can be restored by Regenerate, Limited Wish, Wish, or Miracle spells, or they can regrow naturally. See the regrowth table below.
- Tail weakness: A Hybrid Saiyan's tail is packed full of sensitive nerves; because of this, if the tail is grabbed and squeezed hard enough, it causes the Hybrid to become dazed. If an opponent has both hands free, they may make a grapple check. The DC is 10 + the Hybrid Saiyan's hit dice + the Hybrid Saiyan's Dexterity modifier. The DC is increased by +10 if the Hybrid Saiyan's tail is around their waist like a belt.
- If the attacker is successful, the Hybrid Saiyan is rendered dazed. For each following round that the attacker wants to maintain the daze they must make another full round grapple check and the DC for the grapple increases by +2 each round. If the attacker fails the grapple check, then the Hybrid immediately breaks free and may act normally.
- Zenkai bonus: What doesn't kill a Hybrid Saiyan, only makes them stronger, literally! When in a battle against an opponent whose Challenge Rating exceeds the Hybrid Saiyan's Challenge Rating by at least 2, and when in a legitimate life-or-death situation (not sparring with a friend, or in a situation rigged in the Hybrid Saiyan's favor), and then the Hybrid is brought down to negative hit points and survives, after healing up to full hit points, the Hybrid becomes stronger than before. After recovering to full health from a near-death experience, the Hybrid gains an experience bonus equal to his total character level multiplied by the number of hit points between −1 and −9 that they were below 0 hp (maximum of −9), and then multiplied by 10.
- So, for example: Lucian, a 5th-level Hybrid Saiyan, fights an Eight-Headed Hydra, which is a CR 7 monster, and gets brought down to −5 hit points, but is saved by his allies. After being restored to full health (either by rest or magic), Lucian would gain experience equal to his hit dice (5) multiplied by the 5 hit points that he was below 0, and then multiplied by 10, which would look like this: 5 (for HD) × 5 (hp below 0) = 25 × 10 = 250. So Lucian would gain an immediate 250 experience points upon reaching full health.
- A Hybrid still dies at −10 hit points like any other character would. A Hybrid who dies as normal and is then resurrected does not gain a zenkai bonus or any other benefits, regardless of what spell is used to restore them.
|Note on the balance issue|
|DM's get many ways to control this. It only is triggered if the opponent is +2 CR more than the Saiyan Warrior and the DM controls what monsters are fought. It only happens if a Hybrid is knocked into negative HP without dying and the DM controls which character the mobs hit and could simply have the enemy change targets when the Hybrid gets low to avoid putting him into negative HP. Finally, when and if a Zenkai bonus should ever apply is always solely at the DM's discretion, and because of the potential balance issue with this ability DM's should never make any effort what-so-ever to safeguard the life of a character whose player attempts to abuse this ability. It is intended to be a very rare and random event, and because a zenkai bonus is intended for life-and-death situations only, the DM should never give a Zenkai bonus for any fight or situation that was rigged by the player / character just in order to trigger a bonus.|
- Oozaru form: When the Hybrid Saiyan takes on the Oozaru form, enters a frenzied rage (unless he has the Saiyan Elite feat). His size increases by two size categories as he transforms into a were-ape like creature covered in thick brown fur with a long snout with razor-sharp teeth and solid red eyes. An Oozaru's effective intelligence drops to 6 and he forgets his own identity, and becomes chaotic evil. Once per transformation the Hybrid Saiyan may attempt at any point in the transformation to make a DC 25 Control Shape check to regain his senses and can distinguish friend from foe, however he retains his 6 Intelligence.
- Click here to get more information on how this transformation works and for diplomacy checks to help control an Oozaru. A Hybrid Saiyan raised among other Saiyans knows of this form and what happens during a full moon, most Hybrids generally keep good track of when the next full moon is, and may go to bed early so that they won't change during the night, that is; unless they intend to change.
|Use common sense|
|Good DMing and judgement is a must in dealing with the Oozaru form, i.e. don't do stupid things such as purposely setting the Oozaru loose on a packed capital city, or using the Oozaru to purposely destroy any given character's item, etc. In fact, with good DMing and judgement, you could use the Oozaru form to drive one of your plots, which will make this feature more fun for you and your players.|
- Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex): A Hybrid always has Control Shape as a class skill. In any form, a Hybrid can communicate and empathize with other Sayians and Oozarus. This gives them a +4 racial bonus in all forms on all checks when influencing an Oozaru's attitude and allows the communication of simple concepts such as "friend", "foe", "flee", and "attack".
- Hybrid Rage (Ex): Because of the potent mixture of Saiyan and Human, Hybrids can fly into a explosive rage. This rage is extremely powerful, but incredibly short. Once per day a Hybrid may go into a rage like state gaining +4 Str, +4 Dex, and +2Wis for 1+1 round per 5 character levels they have, for a maximum of 3 rounds a day. After this rage the character immediately becomes fatigued and receives a -4 Str and -4 Dex penalty for 3 rounds. This ability is meant to be an act of true hatred or desperation, and the character will lose all sight and understanding besides the reason of their rage. This ability stacks with all other stat bonuses and is a free action to activate on your turn.
- Human Blood: For all effects related to race, a Hybrid Saiyan is considered an Human
- Saiyan Biology: Hybrid Saiyans can qualify and take any feat offered to a pure-blooded Saiyan.
- For example, a Hybrid Saiyan born with a tail can take the Saiyan Elite feat since he could be taught to control it by his Saiyan parent, and has access to the form themselves.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any
- Favored Class: Saiyan_Warrior
- Level Adjustment: +3
- Effective Character Level: 4
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||75 years||100 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d8||110 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d8||80 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
| Age at the
|Birth - 14 years||01 - 80||81 - 90||91 - 98||99 - 00|
|15 - 20 years||01 - 75||76 - 80||81 - 90||91 - 00|
|21 - 28 years||01 - 50||51 - 75||76 - 80||81 - 00|
|29 - 40 years||01 - 25||26 - 50||51 - 75||76 - 00|
|40+ years||01 - 04||05 - 25||26 - 50||51 - 00|
Credit To Others
|5e Classes & Subclasses||Way of the Crane, Way of the Turtle|
|5e Races||Namekian, Saiyan|
|5e Feats||Master Craftsman, Mending Spirit, Saiyan Rage, Super Warrior, Warped Blood|
|5e Monsters||Wild Oozaru|
|3.5 Classes||Ki Demon|
|3.5 Other Class Features||Mutated Frost Demon, Mystic Form|
|3.5 Races||Frieza Race-Frost Demons, Hybrid Saiyan, Namekian-Iskerbabble|
|3.5 Feats||Frieza Clan, Full Power Form|
|3.5 Invocations||Four Witches, Greater Ki Transmutation, Ki Transmutation, Lesser Electrical Transmutation, Lesser Fire Transmuation, Lesser Frost Transmutation, Master Ki Transmutation, Neo Tri Beam, Nova Chariot, Thunder Shock Surprise, Tri Beam|
|Effective Character Level||4 +|
|Favored Class||Saiyan_Warrior +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||3 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength +, +2 Dexterity +, +2 Constitution + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Title||Hybrid Saiyan +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|