Nightsprite (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
They're a large group of intelligent elementals from the plane of dreams. The Nightsprites are very closely related to Snipes but tend to have a persistent and permanent personality and body. They tend to be tricky and playful no matter their alignment, although with notable and harsh exceptions. The typical nightsprite will enjoy his or her time outside the plane of dreams, living lives full of adventure before they go back willingly or are banished.
The nightsprites vary immensely in appearance. Some look almost exactly human with strange, wispy features while others may look like weird jesters, goblins or have other wild appearances. Some may even be completely inhuman, looking like odd spiders or other creatures. The nightsprites tend to be Medium but vary wildly in size, some being very short while other almost enough to become Large size.
A slain Nightsprite is sent back to the plane of dreams, and without the use of resurrection magic will eventually come back into being over the course of hundreds of years. Since their body collapses into a rapidly evaporating pool of dreamstuff, they need a resurrection or stronger spell to bring them back to life.
- -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma: The nightsprites are elementals made of dreamstuff. This grant them great social ability and countenance. Sadly, dreamstuff is not a particularly sturdy building material and they tend to be frail.
- Elemental (Dreamborn, Psionic): A nightsprite is technically an elemental made of dreamstuff. A nightsprite, being an elemental, does not need to eat, sleep or breathe but may do so if it wishes to. Unlike most elementals, a nightsprite can be raised from the dead.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a nightsprite has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Nightsprite base land speed is 30 feet. Hover 20 ft. (Perfect)
- Darkvision: A nightsprite can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a nightsprite can function just fine with no light at all.
- Dreamborn Heritage (Ex): A Nightsprite is a being composed of an amalgam of mortal's dreams. They however, tend to be particularly proficient at detecting and affecting a specific type of emotions. At 1st level the Nightsprite selects from the list below, gaining the benefits it grant. In addition to the benefit, the nightsprite learn additional information.
- Desire: The DC of any [charm] and [compulsion]-effect produce by the Nightsprite rise by 1. When using dream eater on a creature the nightsprite may learn what the target desire the most.
- Fear: The DC of any [fear]-effect produce by the Nightsprite rise by 1. When using dream eater on a creature the nightsprite may learn what the target fear the most.
- Happiness: Any moral bonus granted to the Nightsprite is increased by 1. When using dream eater on a creature the nightsprite may learn what would make the target happy.
- Sadness: Any moral penalty caused by the Nightsprite is increased by 1. When using dream eater on a creature the nightsprite may learn what would make the target unhappy.
- Dream-Eater (Su): A Nightsprite cannot recover hit points through resting, instead it need to devour the sleep of others to recover its energy. A nightsprite can eat the dreams of sleeping creatures with a touch, reducing the effective rest of the touched creature by 2 hours. The nightsprite may also induce pleasant dreams or nightmares on the creature while doing so, and may even code messages in the dream if it wishes to. A nightsprite that successfully consumes a dream heals hit points as if she had a full night worth of rest.
- A target may only be affected by dream-eater once per night. The target is also granted a Will save (DC 10 +1/2 HD + the nightsprite Charisma bonus) to wake up after being affected by the ability. Doing so prevents the nightsprite from learning about the target and any dream or nightmares it may have inflicted upon it, but not any other effect of the ability.
- Empathy (Su): A Nightsprite possess a +2 Racial Bonus to Sense Motive. Once per day a standard action, a Nightsprite can link itself to a willing creature. Both creatures gain Emphatic Link (Su) as a Familiar toward each other with a maximum range of 1 mile for 24 hours.
- Naturally Psionic: Nightsprites gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level, regardless of whether they choose a psionic class.
- Partial Elemental Traits: A Nightsprite is unlike most elementals, it does not possess immunity to paralysis or stunning. Also unlike other elementals it is susceptible to critical hit and flanking. It is still immune to poison and sleep-effects and can be raised from the dead, although it body disintegrate into a wispy evaporating substance upon death.
- Partial Unreality (Ex): A Nightsprite does not possess the Unreality ability of most Dreamborn creatures when not on the plane of dreams.
- Spell-like Ability (Sp): At Will- disguise self.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any Non-Secret
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
Pathfinder Adaptation: A Nighsprite is an Outsider with the Elemental Subtype instead of an Elemental. The Nightsprite is Native to the Plane of Dream.
Formshift: Certain Nightsprite are unable to change their forms as easily, but are capable of making permanent changes over time. Instead of being able to use disguise self at-will, they may instead use alter physiognomy once per day. They cannot make the effect instantaneous normally, instead they may do so once per month by taking 2 points of Constitution and Charisma Burn.
Small Nightsprite: Some nightsprite are quite small, they are Small size instead of Medium but take a -2 penalty to Strength.
Nonhuman Nightsprite: These nightsprites have inhuman body shapes and cannot use equipment designed for humanoids. They also lose two available item slots but gain two additional ring slots.
|Author||Eiji-kun + and Leziad +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Constitution + and +2 Charisma +|
|Subtype||Dreamborn, Psionic +|
|Summary||They're a large group of intelligent elementals from the plane of dreams. +|