Evil Clown (3.5e Class)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Alternate Magic, Other Full
The object of the hatred of all children, and the scariest thing you'll ever see. What may look like a carnival trickster is far more dangerous – beware! An Evil Clown is good at provoking and drawing opponents to her with clown gags, then barbing her attack with insults and tomfoolery to deal more damage.
Making an Evil Clown
|“||Whoever said you cannot die from laughter has never seen a good practical joke!||”|
|—Joker, Flintspark Goblin Evil Clown|
Abilities: Charisma is the primary ability of this class, followed by Dexterity to dodge attacks and help with ranged attacks (like juggling), and Constitution because evil clowns provoke so many attacks having high HP is essential.
Races: Races that give a bonus to Charisma commonly take this class, as do smaller races and those with movement bonuses. Common races include Halflings, Filcher Goblin, Flintspark Goblin, Kitsune, Viverrae, Sprightling and Half-Nymph.
Alignment: Any non-good.
Starting Gold: 4d4×10 gp (100 gp).
Starting Age: Simple
|Saving Throws||Special||AC Bonus||Gag Pool|
|1st||+0||+0||+2||+2||Tomfoolery +1d8, Hammerspace, Clown Gags||—||2|
|2nd||+1||+0||+3||+3||Balloon Familiar, Bonus Language (Squeak), Horrific Appearance||—||4|
|3rd||+2||+1||+3||+3||Laugh it Off (Mental Resistance)||—||6|
|4th||+3||+1||+4||+4||Tomfoolery +2d8, Silly Clown||—||8|
|6th||+4||+2||+5||+5||Laugh it Off (Damage Reduction)||+1||12|
|7th||+5||+2||+5||+5||Tomfoolery +3d8, Contort Size||+1||14|
|9th||+6/+1||+3||+6||+6||Laugh it Off (Chaotic Mind)||+1||18|
|12th||+9/+4||+4||+8||+8||Laugh it Off (Resilient Body)||+2||24|
|13th||+9/+4||+4||+8||+8||Tomfoolery +5d8, Improved Contort Size||+2||26|
|15th||+11/+6/+1||+5||+9||+9||Laugh it Off (Mental Fortress)||+3||30|
|18th||+13/+8/+3||+6||+11||+11||Laugh it Off (Escape Death)||+3||36|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A clown is proficient with all simple weapons and with squeaky hammers, but not with armor or shields.
Tomfoolery (Ex): With a disturbing and insulting joke, an evil clown can add insult to injury and deal extra damage. By making a successful Perform (Comedy) check opposed by the target's modified level check (1d20+character level or hit dice+Wisdom modifier), she may add a tomfoolery strike to all of her attacks that round. This check is made only once per round as a free action. This does 1d8 extra damage. Ranged attacks can count as tomfoolery only if the target is within 30 feet. This damage is never nonlethal damage. Tomfoolery is only effective against creatures that can see and/or hear the evil clown (including through blindsight) and have an Intelligence score of at least 6.
At 4th level and every three after, the damage increases by 1d8.
Hammerspace (Su): As a free action once per round for every Charisma modifier (minimum 1), an evil clown may magically produce items for her other abilities, as specified in the descriptions of the individual abilities. This ability can be used even when it isn't the evil clown's turn.
Clown Gags: An evil clown has a gag pool (see above), she adds her Charisma modifier to this number. She cannot spend more than her class level in a single gag (i.e., at 2nd level, max gag cost 2 gags, or 1 gag and an augment). Her gag pool resets at the start of the next day. Any save DCs are equal to 10+1/2 class level+Charisma modifier, and all spell-like abilities have a caster level equal to class level (psi-like, manifester level is equal).
- Trick (Sp): As a standard action, for 1/2 gag, can perform a magical trick (treat like (prestidigitation).
- Disquieting Diddy (Su): As an immediate action, for 1 gag, can magically produce circus music and laugh maniacally at a single creature within close range (25 ft.+5 ft./2 levels) to which she has line of sight. The creature is shaken one round per evil clown Charisma modifier (minimum 1); can be negated with a Will save. Every extra gag point spent allows this to affect one more creature.
- Pie Toss (Ex): As a standard action, for 1 gag, can throw a cream pie at a single creature with discernible eyes. The evil clown makes a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 ft. If the attack hits, the enemy is rendered blind until it takes a standard action to wipe off the cream. She can make a DC10 Perform (Comedy) check to use her hammerspace ability to produce the requisite cream pie.
- Seltzer Splash (Ex): As a standard action, for 1 gag, can shoot seltzer water at a single creature within 10 ft., dazing it for one round per evil clown Charisma modifier (minimum 1); can be negated with a Fortitude save. She can make a DC10 Perform (Comedy) check to use her hammerspace ability to produce the requisite bottle of seltzer water.
- Frightening Fanfare (Su): As a standard action, for 2 gags, can magically produce circus music and laugh maniacally at a single creature within close range (25 ft.+5 ft./2 levels) to which she has line of sight. The creature is frightened one round per evil clown Charisma modifier (minimum 1); can be negated with a Will save. Every extra gag point spent allows this to affect one more creature.
- Jester’s Juggle (Ex): As a full round action, for 2 gags, can juggle, then make a furry of blows like attack with objects. She can make a furry of blows as a Monk of a level equal to evil clown’s class level. This throws a number of objects equal to furry of blows attack at anything within 30 feet (like a thrown range attack). She can maintain this for one round per Charisma modifier (minimum 1). The clown can try to maintain it for longer with a Sleight of Hand check (DC10+2 per round after) every round (as a free action). However, if she fails the check she is disarmed. She can make a DC15 Perform (Comedy) check to use her hammerspace to produce each weapon. This can be used to make any light throwing weapon (including daggers, clubs (even though they are not light), darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers and shuriken).
- Squeaky Hammer (Su): As an attack action, for 2 gags, can confuse a foe damaged by her squeaky hammer. An evil clown must declare that she is using this ability before she makes her attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). This confusion lasts for one round per evil clown Charisma modifier (minimum 1); can be negated with a Fortitude save. An evil clown can make a DC 15 Perform (Comedy) check to produce the requisite squeaky hammer with her hammerspace ability. A squeaky hammer is identical to a warhammer, except that it deals nonlethal damage. Unlike most nonlethal weapons, the wielder of a squeaky hammer cannot take a -4 penalty on attack rolls in order to deal lethal damage.
- Unicycle Ride (Ex): As a move action, for 2 gags, can mount a unicycle. She can maintain this for one round per Charisma modifier (minimum 1). The clown can try to maintain it for longer with a Balance check (DC10+2 per round after) every round (as a free action). However, if she fails the check she falls prone. Dismounting is a free action. She can make a DC15 Perform (Comedy) check to use her hammerspace to produce the unicycle. For 1 extra gag, this can be used with juggle (see above; 3 gags total for both).
- Catch Me If You Can (Ps): As a standard action, for 3 gags, can jump to a nearby location (treat like dimension slide). For 1 extra gag, can increase the power (treat like dimension door). For 1 extra gag (to either), can do it as an immediate action.
- Creepy Grin (Sp): As a standard action, for 3 gags, can slow opponents (treat like slow). This is a mind-affecting fear effect.
- Discard Banana (Ex): As an immediate action, for 3 gags, can throw a banana peel at a single creature that is moving from one square to another, under its own power and while touching the ground. The evil clown makes a ranged touch attack against the target, with a range increment of 10 ft. If the attack hits, the enemy falls prone and ends their move. An evil clown can make a DC 20 Perform (Comedy) check to use her hammerspace ability to produce the requisite banana peel.
- Terrifying Tune (Su): As a standard action, for 3 gags, can magically produce circus music and laugh maniacally at a single creature within close range (25 ft.+5 ft./2 levels) to which she has line of sight. The creature is panicked one round per evil clown Charisma modifier (minimum 1); can be negated with a Will save. Every extra gag point spent allows this to affect one more creature.
- Distracting Dance (Ex): As a standard action, for 4 gags, can preform a comical dance. This fascinates all creatures within 30 feet; can be negated with a Will save. Each creature to be fascinated must be able to pay attention. The distraction of nearby combat or other dangers prevents the ability from working.
- Profanity (Sp): As a standard action, for 4 gags, can spout profanity (treat like profanity).
- Summon Gremlin (Su): As a standard action, for 4 gags, can summon a gremlin type II. The summoned gremlin lasts for 1 round per class level, is not under the clown's control, and is pure choas -- willing to do actions against its own self-preservation. For 2 extra gags, can improve the gremlin type to III.
- Summon Clown Car (Su): As a standard action, for 5 gags, can summon a clown car. This car has only enough space for a clown in the driver's seat, however, its trunk acts like a bag of holding type II. The clown car is medium sized, has a speed of 50', 15 AC, 20 HP, 5 hardness, and can pull 1000 lbs. If it is destroyed, all items and creatures within it fall to the same square (prone if creatures). For 1 extra gag, can increase the cars HP by 10 and bag of holding type to III.
- Bouncy House (Ps): As a standard action, for 6 gags, can make the floor bouncy (treat like jelly floor, unaugmented). For 1 extra gag, can increase the area by one 10' square.
AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the evil clown adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her AC. At 5th and every 5 after, she gets an additional +1 bonus to AC (i.e., +2 at 10th). These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when she is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses if immobilized, helpless, wearing any armor, uses a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load.
Balloon Familiar: At 2nd level, an evil clown may use her hammerspace ability to produce a long skinny balloon, which she may shape into any of the standard animals available to be a sorcerer's familiar as a full-round action. The balloon animal animates, and gains the abilities of a familiar belonging to a sorcerer of a level equal to the evil clown's class level. This familiar is treated as a construct, rather than a magical beast. When a balloon familiar is subject to slashing or piercing damage, it takes triple the normal damage. An evil clown does not lose experience if this familiar is destroyed, but cannot create another balloon familiar until the next hour. Any natural weapons the familiar has deal nonlethal damage. If the familiar is within reach, the evil clown may change the familiar to the shape of any other familiar from the standard list as a full-round action. The balloon familiar is otherwise identical to a sorcerer's familiar.
Bonus Language (Squeak): At 2nd level, an evil clown gains Squeak as a bonus language. This language cannot be learned by anyone who is not an evil clown, no matter how hard they try to learn it. The language is spoken by emitting squeaks of various lengths and pitches, and the written language looks like a cross between sheet music and Morse code.
Horrific Appearance (Ex): At 2nd level, an evil clown gains a +1 circumstance bonus to intimidate checks against non-evil creatures as her skin pales, her nose grows red and bulbous, and her hair gradually becomes one or more unnatural colors. At 4th and every three after, this bonus increases by 1.
Laugh it Off (Ex): An evil clown is a maniac, and has learned to use this madness to laugh off certain effects, and higher levels can even laugh off damage.
- Mental Resistance: At 3rd level, an evil clown learns to laugh off charms, compulsions, and certain illusions. This gives them a +2 bonus against mind-affecting effects. At 6th and every three after, the bonus increases by 1.
- Damage Reduction: At 6th level, the evil clown learns how to laugh off even damage. This gives them Damage Reduction 2/Good. At 12th and 18th levels, the DR increases by 1.
- Chaotic Mind: At 9th level, the evil clown can escape from magical effects that would otherwise mentally affect her. If she is affected by a mind-affecting spell or effect and fails her saving throw, she can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.
- Resilient Body: At 12th level, the evil clown becomes immune to fatigue, exhaustion, disease, poison and energy drain.
- Mental Fortress: At 15th level, the evil clown becomes immune to all compulsions, and divinations made to to find information about her.
- Escape Death: At 18th level, the evil clown becomes immune to all death and evil effects.
Silly Clown (Ex): At 4th level, an evil clown gains a +2 circumstance bonus to bluff, perform (comedy) and sleight of hand checks as her words and hands have become practiced in deception and comedy. At 7th and every three after, this bonus increases by 1.
Bonus Feat: At 5th and every three after, she receives a bonus feat that she meets the prerequisites for.
Contort Size (Su): At 7th level, an evil clown is treated as one size category smaller for the purposes of squeezing into and through small spaces.
At 13th level, this ability improves, and she is treated as two size categories smaller for the purposes of squeezing into and through small spaces.
An evil clown whose alignment changes to be good does not lose any class features, but cannot advance her evil clown level unless she once again becomes non-good. Using a clown gag is considered a heinously evil act.
|“||Why so serious!||”|
Playing an Evil Clown
Religion: Evil clowns are attracted to the occult and thus commonly swear allegiance to chaotic or trickster entities. However, they are a fickle group, and often change who they are loyal to.
Other Classes: Some have a deep-seeded fear of clowns and will flee on sight, while others find them to be fun and welcome them. An evil clown benefits from both perspectives, frightening those who fear them, and tricking those that trust them.
Combat: Typically distracts, annoys and provokes opponents (as well as party members), this frees up the party quite considerably to strategize and focus their efforts on weaker opponents. Evil clowns are super helpful for the party.
Advancement: Schismsoul is a good class to advance in.
Evil Clown Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Local) can research evil clowns to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||Clowns are just funny carnival tricksters who make balloons and stuff for children.|
|10||Clowns are good a distracting and entertaining people.|
|15||Evil clowns are different than regular clowns in they are malicious. They also can teleport short distances and do great harm to opponents with insults and gags.|
|20||Specific info on an evil clown.|
|Adopter||Franken Kesey +|
|Article Balance||High +|
|Base Attack Bonus Progression||Moderate +|
|Class Ability||Alternate Magic + and Other +|
|Class Ability Progression||Full +|
|Fortitude Save Progression||Poor +|
|Identifier||3.5e Class +|
|Minimum Level||1 +|
|Reflex Save Progression||Good +|
|Skill||Balance +, Bluff +, Disable Device +, Disguise +, Escape Artist +, Forgery +, Intimidate +, Jump +, Knowledge +, Perform +, Sleight of Hand +, Tumble +, Use Magic Device + and Use Rope +|
|Skill Points||4 +|
|Summary||The object of the hatred of all children, and the scariest thing you'll ever see. What may look like a carnival trickster is far more dangerous – beware! +|
|Title||Evil Clown +|
|Will Save Progression||Good +|