Anima River (3.5e Martial Discipline)
Add your own Maneuver to Dungeons & Dragons Wiki by clicking the link and following the instructions.
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The school of the Anima River originated from monks and incarnates who sought personal enlightenment through meditating on the spiritual aspects which empowered them. Fine control of the body was only half the puzzle, the soul was every much a living, breathing thing of its own and worked in tandem with biological functions. To understand the soul would allow them to train it as one would train your muscles. In times of battle, their enlightenment allowed them to strike at the invisible ever-present flow of life and wound their opponents most grievously.
Nei Jing was the creator of the school, a monk, and student of Desert Wind and Shadow Hand styles. He found neither school worked best for him, but was fascinated by their many supernatural abilities, and pondered deeper upon the source of this phenomena, drawing himself into isolation to meditate. After 11 years of hidden life in the world, Nei Jing returned a changed man, whose fighting style employed neither shadow nor flame, and whose mere presence had an suffocating aura of power.
The ways of the Anima River rely on empowering oneself to greater, even supernatural, action and striking at the enemy spiritually, rendering their bodies useless as they fall out of spiritual balance. The weapons associated with the Anima River are the Gauntlets (normal and spiked), Jian, Kama, Nunchaku, Quarterstaff, Sai, Siangham, and Unarmed Strike. The skill associated with Anima River is Concentration (Con).
A swordsageToB may replace one of his disciplines known with the Anima River discipline.
Game Mechanics of the Anima River
Available To: Swordsage
Discipline Weapons: Gauntlets (normal and spiked), Jian, Kama, Nunchaku, Quarterstaff, Sai, Siangham, and Unarmed Strike, and any other special monk weapon. - The traditional weapons of monks, as the origins are based upon mighty monk-like warriors.
Saves: 10 + level of the maneuver + Wis
Legacy Weapon: Nyoi-bo Staff
Maneuver Granting Item: Anima Channeling Belt
Discipline Feat: Concentrated Defense
Tactical Feat: Enlightened Fist
Maneuvers of the Anima River
- To see the full, expanded description of every maneuver, click here.
- Inertial Focus: Stance — You gain fine control over your inertia, allowing you to survive long falls, seem to grow lighter or heavier, and walk upon water.
- Qi Ripple: Strike — You set up a vibration within the creature's spiritual essence, and in turn stun the body.
- Soul in the Blade: Stance — You focus your chi in you weapon, making your weapon magical and allowing it to return to your hand.
- Spiritual Awareness: Counter — Your mind expands to note the location of all targets, giving you the ability to make many attacks of opportunity.
- Spiritual Resistance: Counter — Your spirit and mind are one, and as master of the spirit you are not as easy to ply as others.
- Vita Surge: Strike — You draw in life energy from your surroundings, giving yourself additional temporary hp.
- Inertial Strike: Strike — Your impacts strike harder, for your spirit adds virtual mass to the end of your blows.
- Qi Critical: Counter — With special monk weapons and Anima River weapons, you push them beyond their limits when they strike a critical hit.
- Soulfire Surge: Boost — You coat your hands or weapon in chi and deal more damage.
- Spiritual Blow: Boost — You turn your spirit into a dangerous force weapon, which you channel through your attacks.
- Spiritual Reflexes: Counter — Your spirit is aware of what you are not, granting your the precognition to move out of harms way.
- Anima Wave: Strike [Force] — Your spiritual energy erupts from your hands, blowing away the opposition!
- Full Power Ki Flurry: Strike [Force] — You fire all the ki blasts, leaving countless craters behind.
- Rushing Cascade Stance: Stance — Your spiritual energy torrents into your body and pushes your attacks faster and faster, becoming a blur of strikes.
- Self-Perfection: Boost — You have augmented your body to breach beyond human limits and achieve anything!
- Spirit Throw: Strike — Throw your weapon in a line, dealing damage. Then the weapon comes back.
- Vita Purge: Strike — Your spirit and body are one, and through will alone you can purge yourself of toxins.
- Inertial Burst: Boost — With a surge of energy you release your spiritual energy out of your body, granting you great bonuses to speed.
- Qi Wave: Strike — You set up a shockwave within the creature's spiritual essence which disrupts the body and renders them sickened as well.
- Spiritual Disruption: Counter — You become able to disrupt enemy spellcasters, striking extra hard against them.
- Spiritual Pressure: Boost — Your spiritual body is much larger and imposing than your physical body, and you can impose its presence upon the material world to seem bigger than you are.
- Cardiac Recovery: Counter [X-Discipline] — You restart your own heart, bring you back from the dead.
- Enlightened Spirit Stance: Stance — Your improved awareness of the energy of life has given you a precognitive edge against that which would threaten you.
- Greater Spiritual Blow: Boost — Body and spirit attack as one, allowing you to combat ghosts and strip away spell resistance with your force of will.
- Greater Vita Purge: Strike — You can draw life energy from around you to purge your body and heal yourself in one motion.
- Ki Deflecting Chop: Counter — You deflect an incoming ray, line, cone and other effect.
- Passing of the Spirit: Strike — Your attacks become a potent destructive force against the mockery of undeath.
- Tongue of Heaven and Earth: Stance — Your connection to all that lives gives you both understanding of other creatures, and protection against that which would use words against you.
- Anima Blast: Strike [Force] — You release a destructive wave of spiritual energy that vaporizes everything in its way!
- One With the Blade: Stance [X-Discipline] — Why stick to blade or fists when you can have the best of both worlds?
- Qi Lock: Strike — You strike all their spiritual pressure points, rendering them immobile and harmless.
- Vita Rebuke: Counter — Your life force is overwhelming, those who try to snuff it out only get burned!
- Warp Trick Blast: Counter [Teleportation] — You teleport as you fire an anima blast, surprising your opponent before obliterating them.
- Wave Step: Boost — You transform yourself into a wave of energy, escaping the grasp of your enemies.
- Qi Geyser: Strike — You strike a creature's spiritual essence so hard, the shockwave causes other targets in the area to shudder!
- Quivering Soul: Strike [Death] — You cleave soul from body, but by a single thread which you may snap at any moment.
- Soul Mirror: Counter — Your spirit protects you from harmful magic, knocking it back to its source when it can.
- Vita Pulse: Boost — You sacrifice your own life force to empower the lives of others.
- Hamedo: Counter — Pre-emptive strike, hit them hard before they even think about hitting you!
- Invert Vita: Strike — You invert the natural flow of life, resulting in a a body which is on the road to self destruction.
- Ki Rain From Above: Strike [Force] — You fire all the ki blasts, leaving countless craters behind.
- Spirit Breaker: Boost — Outsiders, elementals, incorporeals... they're all living souls, and thus you know just how to deal with them.
- Stance of the Ascended: Stance — Your aura is visible, raging like a fire. It protects you and allows you to tread the air as if it were solid ground.
- Anima Explosion: Strike [Force] — Kamehameha!!!!
- Greater Wave Step: Counter — You transform yourself into a wave of energy at moments notice, escaping the enemy's attacks.
- Qi Banish: Strike — When I said POW, right to the moon... I wasn't kidding about that.
- Spirit Shift: Boost — The spirit is on the ethereal plane, the body is on the material plane. You fail to see the borders anymore, they are one in the same.
- Ten Million Fists: Strike — Make a full-attack that make people die horribly.
|Identifier||3.5e Martial Discipline +|
|Summary||The school of the Anima River originated f … |
The school of the Anima River originated from monks and incarnates who sought personal enlightenment through meditating on the spiritual aspects which empowered them. Fine control of the body was only half the puzzle, the soul was every much a living, breathing thing of its own and worked in tandem with biological functions. To understand the soul would allow them to train it as one would train your muscles. In times of battle, their enlightenment allowed them to strike at the invisible ever-present flow of life and wound their opponents most grievously.and wound their opponents most grievously. +
|Title||Anima River +|
|Weapon||Gauntlets (normal and spiked) +, Jian +, Kama +, Nunchaku +, Quarterstaff +, Sai +, Siangham +, and Unarmed Strike + and and any other special monk weapon. +|