Judge of Existence (3.5e Class)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Psionics, Other Full
Judge of Existence
Most live in a prosaic world of the base perceptions, bound by Ultimate Laws – truths that hinder the capacity of progress. Prisoners to common sense and logic, a land where even science becomes a religion. Even the most basic manipulations of existence cannot be understood by these sorry souls. This is the way of the lesser man. A judge of existence is a proponent of straining the limits – nay, being without limits, then deciding what limits the rest must follow. A Judge of Existence is a student of the power of Space. They can warp matter, and alter gravity and weather in an area.
Making a Judge
|“||What is is always ephemeral – walls become dust, life turns to death and then life again. The rules of nature change as the wind.||”|
|—Jubal, Human Judge|
Abilities: Intelligence is the key ability of this class. Wisdom has minor importance in this class.
Starting Gold: 5d4×10 gp (125 gp).
Starting Age: Complex
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Judges are proficient with all simple weapons, plus bolas, rapier, spiked chain and whip. Judges are proficient with light and medium armor, and with shields (except tower shields). Armor, of any type, does not hinder judge abilities.
Power Points/Day: A judge has the ability to manifest powers. This is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given on the above table. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Intelligence score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). A judge can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than his manifester level. The total number of powers a judge can manifest in a day is limited only by his daily power points. A judge simply knows his powers; they are ingrained in his mind. He does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though he must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain all his spent power points. The Difficulty Class for saving throws against judge powers is 10+power’s level+judge’s Intelligence modifier.
Powers Known: At 1st level, a judge learns three judge powers of his choice (see below). The above table shows when a judge can unlock the knowledge of a new power. Choose the powers known from the Judge Power List. (Exception: The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge do allow a judge to learn powers from the lists of other classes.) At 1st level, a judge gains access to the Judge Power List (powers in bold are area effects):
- 1st-level Powers: astral construct, compression, control flames, control light, control object, create sound, minor creation, detect psionics, detect teleportation, energy ray, entangling ectoplasm, expansion, force screen, grease, inertial armor, jelly floor, know direction and location, matter agitation, my light, skate, stomp, synesthete;
- 2nd-level Powers: body equilibrium, call weaponry, chameleon, change energy damage, change gravity, concealing amorpha, concussion blast, control air, specified energy adaptation, energy missile, identify, levitate, read thoughts, repair damage, sensitivity to psychic impressions, tongues, wall walker;
- 3rd-level Powers: astral elemental, change earth, danger sense, dismiss ectoplasm, dispel psionics, ectoplasmic cocoon, ectoplasmic form, energy wall, eradicate invisibility, escape detection, exhalation of the black dragon, false sensory input, nanocyte cloud, read thoughts, telekinetic force, telekinetic thrust, touchsight, ubiquitous vision;
- 4th-level Powers: astral tentacles, change magnetics, control body, cure conditions, detect remote viewing, dimensional anchor, dimension door, energy adaptation, fabricate, Frankenstein's monster, freedom of movement, intellect fortress, metamorphosis, plane shift, power leech, steadfast perception, telekinetic maneuver, wall of ectoplasm;
- 5th-level Powers: adapt body, catapsi, change psionics, major creation, ectoplasmic shambler, energy ball, fiery discorporation, incarnate, leech field, teleport, true seeing;
- 6th-level Powers: breath of the black dragon, change alignment/energy, dispelling buffer, greater fabricate, meteologic aport, null psionics field, oak body, overland flight, sky hammer, suspend life;
- 7th-level Powers: divert teleport, mass ectoplasmic cocoon, energy conversion, energy wave, ethereal jaunt, phase door, reddopsi;
- 8th-level Powers: bend reality, ice age bomb, iron body, recall death, shadow body, greater teleport;
- 9th-level Powers: affinity field, etherealness, timeless body, tornado blast.
Bonus Feat: At 1st level and every four after, a judge receives a bonus feat that he meets the prerequisites for.
Playing a Judge
Religion: Most judges are disenchanted by religion and are hated by fundamental religious types.
Other Classes: Most are ignorant of the judge’s powers, and the intelligent think that judge abilities are simply a trick on the senses or done by legerdemain, causing most judges to easily blend in. Yet the wise see judges as very dangerous beings, especially religious tempered individuals, who consider judges to be witches. In more evangelical environments judges are openly hunted.
Combat: Judge will commonly use zone abilities in the first round – to sow chaos – then pick off its enemies one by one. Due to the fact that where one is can greatly change one’s fate, most judge may want to invest in persuasion off the battlefield to garner their words with more respect amongst allies.
Advancement: Multi-classing is very uncommon when taking this class; it does occur most often to those who want more weapon abilities. The Psyblade, Waltz of Blades, Kamikaze or Halberdier are good options for this.
Judge in the Game: This class is not as fun in games without direct knowledge of where players are (with maps and miniatures) – and completely boring in pathfinder games.
Judges in the World
|“||It is legal because I wish it.||”|
|—Louis XIV, The Sun King|
Organizations: Judges are strengthened when around other judges, and have a few academies to spread the knowledge. However, these schools must be keep hidden from religious-minded groups, thus have a manner of enlistment. This generally involves leaving a book on existence in a public place (a library is most common), and allowing the studious to find much on their own before entering into trust.
Notables: Michael is considered the founder of this field of study, by most mortals. This is due, in part, to the fact that he himself was mortal. He was raised by a highly advanced, yet in some ways uncivilized, culture of beings beyond consciousness. The true origins of this disciple are unknown.
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (The planes) can research judges to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||Judge may be able to alter some limited aspects of matter.|
|10||Judge have honed control over the forces – the zone controller extraordinaire!|
|20||Judge can have intense sway over how the laws of nature function. They can transmute Gravity, Earth, Life, Magnetics, Magic, Alignment and Energy, and Space.|
|25||Specific info on a judge.|
|Article Balance||Very High +|
|Author||Franken Kesey +|
|Base Attack Bonus Progression||Moderate +|
|Class Ability||Psionics + and Other +|
|Class Ability Progression||Full +|
|Fortitude Save Progression||Poor +|
|Identifier||3.5e Class +|
|Minimum Level||1 +|
|Rated By||Paleomancer +, Qwertyu63 +, Zhenra-Khal + and ProphetPX +|
|Rating||Rated 3 / 4 +|
|Reflex Save Progression||Good +|
|Skill||Appraise +, Autohypnosis +, Balance +, Concentration +, Craft +, Intimidate +, Knowledge +, Listen +, Search +, Psicraft +, Spot +, Survival +, Tumble + and Use Psionic Device +|
|Skill Points||4 +|
|Summary||Most live in a prosaic world of the base p … |
Most live in a prosaic world of the base perceptions, bound by Ultimate Laws – truths that hinder the capacity of progress. Prisoners to common sense and logic, a land where even science becomes a religion. Even the most basic manipulations of existence cannot be understood by these sorry souls. This is the way of the lesser man. A judge of existence is a proponent of straining the limits – nay, being without limits, then deciding what limits the rest must follow. A Judge of Existence is a student of the power of Space. They can warp matter, and alter gravity and weather in an area.and alter gravity and weather in an area. +
|Title||Judge of Existence +|
|Will Save Progression||Good +|