Awakened Avian (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
An Awakened Avian is a flying bird who has become sentient. These stats can be used to make hawks, owls, ravens or any other small bird. If the Awakened Avian was originally a spellcaster's familiar, they both lose their magical connection, including all benefits with the exception of their Empathic Link and the ability to speak with each other, if the Awakened Familiar wishes.
Most Awakened Avians are reclusive, with the exception of their allies.
Awakened Avian look like birds.
Awakened Avians usually avoid relating with those they don't know.
Awakened Avians are usually Neutral, with some being Good, and rarely Evil. Awakened Avians tend to be chaotic rather than neutral.
All Awakened Avian understand Common, however they do not speak it. Despite this, they can get their idea across through the Squacking Speaker ability.
Awakened Avians usually have already been named before becoming awakened, so they usually keep their original name. Some create surnames for themselves, or use their previous master's surname. Awakened Avians who have children give their child a name similar to their own; if the parent was given a pet name like "Fluffy" or "Bubbles", their child has a pet name. If they have an actual name like "Edward" or "Daniel", their child has an actual name.
- -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom: Awakened Avians are small and weak, but agile and well aware of their surroundings.
- Magical Beast: Awakened Avians are considered Magical Beasts because they are an animal with an Intelligence score higher than 2.
- Small: As a Small creature, a Awakened Avian gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Awakened Avian base land speed is 5 feet. They also have a Hover speed of 20 feet (good).
- Low-Light Vision: An Awakened Avian can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- 1d4+Str Talon attack. This is considered to be a primary natural weapon.
- Squacking Speaker* (Su): Despite the fact that their mouth is unsuitable for speaking, they can make their intentions known by making noises typical to the bird they are. This has the same range and function as speaking, the person understands them perfectly, even though their noises are not any language. Spells with vocal components can be cast with avian sounds. If the Awakened Avian originally was a spellcaster's familiar, they retain their ability to speak with their master, despite losing all other familiar benefits.
- Slight Build (Ex): The physical stature of Awakened Avians lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever an Awakened Avian is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the Awakened Avian is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. An Awakened Avian is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. An Awakened Avian can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of an Awakened Avian remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
- Bonus Feat: All Awakened Avians gain Monstrous Hand as a bonus feat.
- Awakened Avians have a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks and a +4 racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any Unrestricted.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|1 year||+1 year||+1d2 years||+1d3 years|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||53 years||70 years||+2d20 years|
|Base Length||Length Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|1' 4"||+1d8||1 lb.||+1d3 lbs.|
See Wikipedia Entry:
|Author||The Dire Reverend +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-4 Strength +, +2 Dexterity + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Summary||An Awakened Avian is a flying bird who has become sentient. These stats can be used to make hawks, owls, ravens or any other small bird. +|
|Title||Awakened Avian +|
|Type||SRD:Magical Beast +|