Awakened Ferret (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
An Awakened Ferret is a ferret who has become sentient. These stats can also be used to create awakened weasels. If the Awakened Ferret was originally a spellcaster's familiar, they both lose their magical connection, including all benefits with the exception of their Empathic Link and the ability to speak with each other, if the Awakened Familiar wishes.
Most Awakened Ferrets are friendly and sociable.
Awakened Ferrets look like ferrets.
Awakened Ferrets get along best with Humans, who are the most likely race to keep regular ferrets as pets.
Awakened Ferrets are usually Neutral, with some being Good, and rarely Evil. Awakened Ferrets tend to be chaotic rather than neutral.
All Awakened Ferrets understand Common, however they do not speak it. Despite this, they can get their idea across through the Squeaking Speaker ability.
Awakened Ferrets usually have already been named before becoming awakened, so they usually keep their original name. Some create surnames for themselves, or use their previous master's surname. Awakened Ferrets who have children give their child a name similar to their own; if the parent was given a pet name like "Fluffy" or "Bubbles", their child has a pet name. If they have an actual name like "Edward" or "Daniel", their child has an actual name.
- -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma: Awakened Ferrets are small and weak, but agile and cute.
- Magical Beast: Awakened Ferrets are considered Magical Beasts because they are an animal with an Intelligence score higher than 2.
- Small: As a Small creature, a Awakened Ferret gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Awakened Ferret base land speed is 20 feet:
- Low-Light Vision: An Awakened Ferret can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Scent: An Awakened Ferret has the ability to detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. In addition they can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights. More information available here.
- 1d4+Str Bite attack. This is considered to be a primary natural weapon.
- Attach (Ex): If an Awakened Ferret hits with a bite attack, it uses its powerful jaws to latch onto the opponent’s body and automatically deals bite damage each round it remains attached. An attached Awakened Ferret loses its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. An attached Awakened Ferret can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached Awakened Ferret through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature.
- Squeaking Speaker* (Su): Despite the fact that their mouth is unsuitable for speaking, they can make their intentions known by squeaking, whimpering and other sounds. This has the same range and function as speaking and any person familiar with the awakened ferret understands them perfectly, even though their noises are not any language. The awakened ferret can communicate with strangers as well, but it may require a sense motive check for complex meanings. Spells with vocal components can be cast with ferret sounds. If the Awakened Ferret originally was a spellcaster's familiar, they retain their ability to speak with their master, despite losing all other familiar benefits.
- Slight Build (Ex): The physical stature of Awakened Ferrets lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever an Awakened Ferret is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the Awakened Ferret is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. An Awakened Ferret is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. An Awakened Ferret can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of an Awakened Ferret remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
- Bonus Feat: All Awakened Ferrets gain Monstrous Hand as a bonus feat.
- Awakened Ferrets have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. They use their Dexterity modifier for Climb checks. An Awakened Ferret can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any Unrestricted.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|1 year||+1 year||+1d2 years||+1d3 years|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||53 years||70 years||+2d20 years|
|Base Length||Length Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|1' 4"||+1d8||1 lb.||+1d3 lbs.|
See Wikipedia Entry:
|Author||The Dire Reverend +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-4 Strength +, +2 Dexterity + and +2 Charisma +|
|Summary||An Awakened Ferret is a ferret who has become sentient. These stats can also be used to create awakened weasels. +|
|Title||Awakened Ferret +|
|Type||SRD:Magical Beast +|