|This material is published under the OGL|
Undead are once-living creatures animated by spiritual or supernatural forces.
An undead creature has the following features.
- 12-sided Hit Dice.
- Base attack bonus equal to 1/2 total Hit Dice (as wizard).
- Good Will saves.
- Skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the undead creature has an Intelligence score. However, many undead are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.
An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
- No Constitution score.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
- Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
- Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
- Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
- Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
- Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
- Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
- Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
- Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
- Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
- Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.
SRD Monsters with the Undead Type
|Creature Entry||CR||Type and Subtypes||Size|
|Caller In Darkness||9||Undead [Incorporeal, Psionic]||Large|
|Cloud Giant Skeleton||7||Undead||Huge|
|Dread Wraith||11||Undead [Incorporeal]||Large|
|Gray Render Zombie||6||Undead||Large|
|Greater Shadow||8||Undead [Incorporeal]||Medium|
|Human Warrior Skeleton||1/3||Undead||Medium|
|Shadow of the Void||26||Undead [Cold, Incorporeal]||Large|
|Shape of Fire||26||Undead [Fire, Incorporeal]||Large|
|Young Adult Red Dragon Skeleton||8||Undead [Fire]||Huge|
SRD Templates that grant the Undead Type
|Demilich Template||Demilich is a template that can be added to any lich||as the base lich +6|
|Ghost||Ghosts are the spectral remnants of intelligent beings who, for one reason or another, cannot rest easily in their graves.||as the base creature +2|
|Lich||A lich is an undead spellcaster, usually a wizard or sorcerer but sometimes a cleric or other spellcaster, who has used its magical powers to unnaturally extend its life.||as the base creature + 2|
|Skeleton||Skeletons are the animated bones of the dead, mindless automatons that obey the orders of their evil masters.||Varies|
|Zombie||Zombies are corpses reanimated through dark and sinister magic.||Varies|
Homebrew Monsters with the Undead Type
Homebrew monsters using this type appear below. These are not part of the SRD, and are presented for ease of reference only.
|Creature Entry||CR||Type and Subtypes||Size|
|Ash Ghoul||5||Undead [Semi-Corporeal]||Medium|
|Black Entity||15||Undead [Lawful]||Medium|
|Bubba The Headless Chicken||6||Undead [Incorporeal]||Tiny|
|Dead||2, 5, 9, 1/3||Undead||Medium|
|Dead Hand||6||Undead [Earth]||Medium|
|Dread Devourer||32||Undead [Extraplanar, Evil]||Huge|
|Flabberghast||6||Undead [Augmented Abberation]||Large|
|Ghast, Deathless||5||Undead [Deathless]||Medium|
|Ghost Frog||1/2||Undead [Incorporeal]||Fine|
|Grey Vampire||4, 12||Undead [Human]||Medium|
|Haunted Clown||8||Undead [Dark Minded, Evil]||Medium|
|Haunting Bluewraith||5, 15||Undead [Incorporeal]||Medium|
|Headcrab Zombie||2, 3, 7||Undead||Medium|
|Headless Maiden||8||Undead [Incorporeal]||Medium|
|Hollow Undead||1, 4||Undead [Human]||Medium|
|Human Zombie Mob||4||Undead||Huge|
|Lamented One||5||Undead [Incorporeal]||Medium|
|Legion||As Legion Core, 23||Outsider, Undead [Abomination, Evil, Swarm]||Colossal, Huge, Medium|
|Lifecutter||8||Undead [Living Dead]||Medium|
|Mohrg, Deathless||13||Undead [Deathless]||Medium|
|Necrophage Titan||16||Undead [Evil]||Gargantuan|
|Nightcrawler, Deathless||24||Undead [Deathless, Extraplanar]||Gargantuan|
|Phantom Limb||4||Undead [Incorporeal]||Tiny|
|Pumpkipus||5||Undead [Augmented Plant]||Medium|
|Pyreshade||16||Undead [Incorporeal, Fire]||Large|
|Revenant||11||Undead [Evil, Semi-Corporeal]||Medium|
|Skeleton Elite Warrior||6||Undead||Medium|
|Soul Puppet||-||Undead [Human, Incorporeal]||Medium|
|Sword Haunt||5||Undead [Augmented Humanoid, Dark Minded, Human, Unliving]||Medium|
|Three Wicked Souls||3||Undead||Large|
|Undead Food||1, 2, 6, 3, 10||Undead||Small, Medium, Large|
|Undead Lake Monster||15||Undead [Aquatic]||Gargantuan|
|Utterdark Essence||6||Undead [Incorporeal]||Small|
|Vampire Queen||20||Undead [Dark Minded]||Medium|
|Vampire, Immortal||4||Undead [Dark Minded, Unliving]||Medium|
|Vampire, Youthdrainer||6||Undead [Dark Minded]||Medium|
|Vampiric Dragonspawn||8||Undead [Augmented Dragon, Unliving]||Large|
Homebrew Templates that grant the Undead Type
Homebrew templates granting this type appear below. These are not part of the SRD, and are presented for ease of reference only.
|Dark Puppeteer||A dark puppeteer is an incorporeal undead controlling its own zombified body.|
|Darksign Undead||Undead associated with the rise of the elder evil known as the Dark Lord, these undead crave their lost humanity. They can harvest it from others, granting back their life for a brief time...|
|Deathless||Unlike ordinary undead, however, deathless are undead that are animated by divine decree and, therefore, considerably more potent.||5|
|Draculus||A draculus is a form of vampire, some say they are a mutant breed while others claim they are a close cousin.|
|Geist||A geist is the spirit of a deceased persisting within an ectoplasmic shell.|
|Ghastly Ghoul||Ghastly Ghouls are intelligent undead flesh eaters created from acts of cannibalism and starvation.|
|Hollow Ones||The skin of dead people. Popular among necromancers who prefer skeletons over zombies.|
|Irrumator||Deep within the Abyss, the Mar family of demons, under Lord Juiblex, developed a special technique to corrupt celestials. Initially based on the idea of recreating Celestials as Mummys through Necromancey, the technique has evolved into something original.|
|Mob||The mob template can turn a group of creatures into a whole army, without needing to keep track of every individual unit.||4|
|Phantom||Phantoms are the spiritual echoes of the dead, mindless spirits that obey the orders of their evil masters.||Varies|
|Pseudolich||A sort of lesser lich, they respawn but lack true immortality and many lich powers. At least they retain some semblance of life.|
|Pyrefly Rift||A pyrefly rift may be created when a certain kind of monster dies. Its soul is transported to the outer plane appropriate for it, forced through a zero-dimensional rift in space-time where it died.|
|Sand Slave||Sand slaves are dead creatures, which are bound to serve a mummy lord.|
|Simple Skeleton||A simplified version of the skeleton template, designed for quick applications on the fly.|
|Simple Zombie||A simplified version of the zombie template, designed for quick applications on the fly.|
Homebrew Races with the Undead Type
Homebrew races using this type appear below. These are not part of the SRD, and are presented for ease of reference only.
|Race Name||Summary||Favored Class||Ability Adjustments||LA||ECL|
|Bluewraith Revenant||Bluewraith Revenants are playable ghosts.||Any||-2 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Any Attribute||0||1|
|Flabberghast||A partially-incorporeal undead race, able to grow and manipulate skeletal hands. Based on Dr. W. D. Gaster, from Undertale.||Any||None||1||2|
|Ganceann||Ganceanns are strange undead, they are notable for their ability to detach their head.||Any||+2 Any Attribute||0||1|
|Ghede||Corpses thrown into blight pits or other special places of decay may animate as a ghede, a skeleton with sapience and the foggy memories of the one is spawned from, but an entirely new personality and life (or unlife) of its own.||Any||-- Con||1||2|
|Grey Vampire||Grey Vampires are hunters of the night akin to their vampire spawn and vampire lord kin.||Any||+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, — Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma||2||3|
|Half-Dead||Sometimes when you raise a zombie they aren't always mindless corpses...||Any||+4 Constitution, -2 Wisdom, -4 Charisma||0||1|
|Skellington||Humanoid skeletons that do skeleton activities with their skeleton powers.||Any||— Constitution, None||0||1|
|Skull Master||They're intelligent, hovering, oversized skulls.||Any||— Constitution, None||0||1|
|Vithui||A race of creatures who are born already dead.||Fighter||-2 Wisdom||0||1|