Half-Drow, Elf (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The High Elves and the Dark Elves, known as the Drow have been in a racial war for thousands and thousands of years. They are both bitter enemies and rivals. The wars have gone on for so long that no one alive knows the original reason it started.
Because the two races are enemies, there are often times when the evil Drow will raid and pillage Elf towns and it is not uncommon for Elven women to be raped either during a raid, or when taken a Drow city as a slave or prisoner. When this happens it can result in the birth of a Half-Drow child. A consensual relationship between an Elf and a Drow is all but unheard of and almost equally unthinkable. Rarely ever has a Half-Drow been raised in a home filled with love.
Since most Half-Drow are initially raised in Drow society they often can come off as cold or aloof on the good end and on the negative end they can be as cruel, arrogant, and hedonistic as their Drow lineage. Most Half-Drow are cold, arrogant and condescending. Even under the unlikely event that a Half-Drow were raised among Elves, it would spend all of its life as a reviled outcast with everyone looking down on it for its tainted lineage. Because of this, regardless of upbringing a Half-Drow just like their Elven parent, is slow to make friends and enemies and even slower to forget them. A Half-Drow also takes after the Elven parents focused and relentless attitude when pursuing a goal, whether a mission or a new skill or art. Half-Drow often spend much of their time trying to prove themselves to everyone around them and escape the stereotypes that follow them wherever they go when people see their Drow heritage. Half-Drow raised among Drow resent the Drow for treating them like second-class citizens and this will often cause the Half-Drow to detest the Drow and make them want to rebel against Drow for being treated them so poorly.
Half Drows are taller than the Drow parent and generally a little shorter than the Elf parent. A Half-Drow's height on average ranges from about 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 feet tall, and weight usually ranges from 90 to 130 pounds with males being slightly taller and heavier than females. They can have the eyes of either parent but always have dark dusky tones of brown to a polished obsidian black like his Drow ancestors. They can have many shades of eye colors but tend towards the Elven parents genetics. On occasion they can have the pale almost white eyes of the Drow, but while it is possible, they rarely ever have the pure red eyes that Drow are known for. Most all Half-Drow men have no facial or body hair like their Elven parent, but unlike Elves, Half-Drow do sleep like normal races.
Half-Drows live as outcasts, because of this they learn to keep everyone equally at arms length. Most Half-Drow raised in Drow society have learned from Drow that everyone is a scheming backstabbers eager to take advantage of someone only as long as its convenient and are untrusting of others motives. Half-Drow tend to seek acceptance, especially of their Elven lineage, but find that very hard to come by. When they do choose to trust people and try and let them in, they get along best with Half-Orcs whom they share a great deal in common with since both are outcasts for a heritage that is out of their control and they never asked for. They also get along well with Half-Elves who understand being drawn between two different heritages and trying to internally resolve not having a people or culture of their own. They can get along fairly well with more kind and understanding Humans and Elves. They find Dwarves gruff and sometimes abrasive, and dont appreciate Gnomes pranks or humor nor Halflings tendency to let their curiousity get them into trouble.
On the law-chaos axis most all Drow lean strongly towards the Chaotic end. Some are Neutral, and while it is possible for a Half-Drow to be Lawful, that is a very rare case. On the good-evil axis most all Half-Drow are very internally conflicted. They have Drow blood which draws them to be evil and the Elven blood drawing them to be good. Half-Drow are distrusted almost as much as the Drow they decend from wherever they go. Dispite this fact, a good Half-Drow is much less rare than a good Drow is. With the right encouragement, a Half-Drow can become a trusted (and trusting) ally and friend, as well as a stalwart champion of good. However, without this encouragement, is all too easy for a frustrated Half-Drow to slip down the slippery slopes of evil.
Half-Drows have no lands of their own, and are rarely welcomed wherever they go. On rare occasion, some Half-Drows band together in a small tribe and live out in the wilderness, but such a gathering would be few and far between. Half-Drow find the most acceptance in Human lands, and on rare occasion some are given a chance to prove themselves (over a great period of time) in Elven lands. If they were to ever return to Drow lands, they would be seen as inferior and would be clear second class citizens, barely above slaves.
Half-Drows that take up the lives of Rogues are generally worshipers of Olidammara. Ones who wander from place to place often find themselves in shrines to Fharlanghn. If a Half-Drow is raised in the communities of one of his parents than its common for them to worship either Corellon Larethian or Lloth respectively.
Half-Drows do not have any language of their own, but they do commonly learn the languages of either or both of their parents while growing up. All Half-Drow generally learn Common and then depending on their living situation growing up, they also generally learn either Elven and/or Undercommon. For example a Half-Drow raised by his Elf mother as a slave in a Drow city would learn Common, Elven from his mother and Undercommon from his environment. But a Half-Drow raised by a Elven mother entirely in an Elven city would only learn Common and Elven, where a Half-Drow raised in Drow society never seeing an Elf might not learn Elven. A Half-Drow raised in a Drow city does not have to have the influence of the Elven parent to learn Elven, that just makes it more likely that they would.
Half-Drow names are commonly given to them by one of their parents and are generally named using common Elven or Drow names.
Half-Drow Racial Traits
- * +2 Dexterity, –2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence The Half-Drow are nimble and frail like their Elf parent and have cunning minds like their Drow parent, but not as forceful of personalities as their Drow lineage.
- Humanoid (Elf)
- Medium: Half-Drows are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Half-Drow base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A Half-Drow can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Darkvision: A Half-Drow can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a Half-Drow can function just fine with no light at all.
- Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
- +1 racial bonus on Will saves against non-enchantment spells and spell-like abilities.
- Weapon Proficiency: A Half-Drow is automatically proficient with the hand crossbow, the rapier, and the short sword.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. A Half-Drow who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if he were actively looking for it.
- Elf Blood: For all effects related to race, a Half-Drow is considered an Elf. Half-Drows for example are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect Elves as their Elf ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by Elves. (See the Players Handbook for more information on Elves, and the Dungeon Master's Guide for more information on magic items).
- Drows Blood: For all effects related to race, a Half-Drow is considered a Drow. Half-Drows for example are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect Drows as their Drow ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by Drows. (See the Monster Manual for more information on Drows, and the Dungeon Master's Guide for more information on magic items).
- Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Undercommon.
- Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Goblin, Infernal.
- Favored Class: Rogue A multiclass Half-Drow's Rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing. The outcast nature of the life of a Half-Drow lends itself to taking what one needs to survive. With their high agility and intellect the Half-Drow are well suited to the Rogue life style.
- Level Adjustment: 0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|175 years||263 years||350 years||+4d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 4"||+3d4||75 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 3"||+3d4||70 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Rogue +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Dexterity +, –2 Constitution + and +2 Intelligence +|
|Summary||The child of a Drow and an Elf. The Half-Drow is either seen as lesser being or slave among Drow or a nightmare abombination among Elves. +|
|Title||Half-Drow, Elf +|