Half-Saiyan (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The child of a Saiyan and a Human. A Half-Saiyan has most of his Saiyan parents strength and appearance, but not their ruthless temperament.
More often than not, a Half-Saiyan is amazingly nothing like their Saiyan parents in personality. Unless raised in a completely Saiyan environment (which is rarely the case), a Half Saiyans are more like their Human parent and Half-Saiyans are not cold, emotionless, prideful, bloodthirsty barbarians like their Saiyan parent. Half-Saiyans tend to take more after their Human lineage when it comes to personality traits, empathic ability and emotions. Half-Saiyans are very in touch with their emotions and when they become emotional they are very good at focusing and channeling their emotions and rage. Saiyans often find it easier to transform into Super Saiyans than their full blooded Saiyan parents for this reason.
Half-Saiyans do not share their Saiyan parents insatiable apatite and are sometimes even disgusted by their Saiyan parents insatiable eating habits.
Half-Saiyans commonly have black eyes with dark black hair and eye brows like their Saiyan parent, but some do occasionally have Human ranges of hair. A Half-Saiyan's hair will always take after only ONE of its parents from birth. It will either be wild Saiyan hair that never grows once full grown, or it will be normal human hair. A Half-Saiyans skin is any range of pale to olive brown. Half-Saiyans generally stand between 5 and 6 feet tall and weigh between 110 to 225 pounds, with males typically taller and heavier than females. For the most part, Half-Saiyans look mostly Human, and are unable to be distinguished from humans except by their tails and wild hair, if they happen to inherit those from their Saiyan heritage. Only about 50% of Half-Saiyans actually inherit a tail or wild Saiyan hair.
Half-Saiyans that inherit the Saiyan's monkey-like tail is still covered in exclusively brownish fur. A Half-Saiyan's tail is also packed full of sensitive nerves also making it a particularly sensitive area for Half-Saiyans. Half-Saiyans are not as likely to keep their tails around their waists like Saiyans do. The Half-Saiyan's tail is just as prehensile as a full blooded Saiyan's tail. The tail is also the exclusive location in a Half-Saiyan's body for the gland that allows for the use of the Oozaru transformation, which works exactly the same as a Saiyans.
Half-Saiyans are luckier than Half-Elves and Half-Orcs growing up. Half-Saiyans age at approximately the same rate that Humans do, so they dont face the maturity issue of not aging at the same rate as the other kids like Half-Elves do and they appear mostly Human except for wild hair, which could be dismissed by kids and their monkey-like tail which can be easily hidden, unlike a Half-Orc who's heritage is written on their faces. Half-Saiyans get along excellently with Humans and sometimes with Saiyans depending on how cruel and heartless the Saiyan is, and how willing the Half-Saiyan is to prove himself strong and capable to the Saiyan. Half Saiyans also get along well with Half-Orcs and Half-Elves, since Half-Saiyans understand the feeling of trying to deal with the two different sides of their genetics. Half-Saiyans get along on a case by case basis with Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings.
Half-Saiyans take more after their Saiyan heritage than their Human heritage on the Law−Chaos axis and are often are either neutral or chaotic. Half-Saiyans are often chaotic because value personal freedom and resent restrictions and as a race do not have many racial traditions. Half-Saiyans take after their Human heritage on the Good−Evil axis in that they favor good and evil in equal portion depending on how they were raised. The most common alignment for a Half-Saiyan is Chaotic Good.
Half-Saiyans have no lands of their own and are most often found in Human lands. Some Half-Saiyans are also found in the odd, rare Saiyan tribe, but there is not as many in Saiyan tribes as there are in Human lands.
Half-Saiyans have no racial deity and have no strong preference to a specific deity. Some deities that Half-Saiyans can occasionally revere includes Kord, Fharlanghn, Ehlonna or Erythnul.
Half-Saiyans have no language of their own. Instead, all Half-Saiyans learn Common or whatever language they are brought up with.
Half-Saiyans are given either Saiyan or Human names more often than not. There are no specific naming conventions for naming Half-Saiyans as a race themselves.
It is very common for a Half-Saiyan to take up the life of an adventurer. Half-Saiyans adventure for many different reasons. Most do it as a way to help out others, and enjoy going on missions. Many do it out of a sense of wanderlust to see what adventure lies over the next hill, in the next city, in the next dungeon. Some do it simply to see the world and others adventure because the see it as the easiest way to amass wealth and power.
Half-Saiyan Racial Traits
- +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, −2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, −2 Charisma Half-Saiyans are strong and agile like their Saiyan parent but do not share in the Saiyan's lack of intelligence and are not nearly as barbaric as their Saiyan parent. Their animalistic transformation affords them better awareness. (See Below)
- Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger): Half-Saiyans appear to be humanoid, but a monster lurks within them.
- Half-Saiyans are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Half-Saiyans base land speed is 30 feet.
- Tail: Half-Saiyans, unlike their Saiyan parents, only have a 50% chance of being born with a tail (or player can choose). Those that do, have a fully prehensile tail which grants them a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks, and is the source of their Oozaru transformation. The tail has 4 hp per HD of the Half-Saiyan and a maximum carrying capacity equal to the Half-Saiyan's base strength score −6.
- A Half-Saiyan's tail can be removed by anyone with a slashing weapon making an attack roll against the tail. Half-Saiyans may wear the tail around their waist for an additional +10 bonus to AC against attack rolls made against their tails. Half-Saiyans who lose their tail immediately lose these racial skill bonuses, their Oozaru alternate form ability, and take a −4 penalty on Balance, Climb, Jump, Move Silently, Swim, and Tumble checks for that day. The penalty is reduced by 1 at the end of each following day. Tails can be restored by Regenerate, Limited Wish, Wish, or Miracle spells, or they can regrow naturally. See the regrowth table below. (If born without a tail, see Below)
- Tail weakness: A Half-Saiyan's tail is packed full of sensitive nerves; because of this, if the tail is grabbed and squeezed hard enough, it causes the Half-Saiyan to become dazed. If an opponent has both hands free, they may make a grapple check. The DC is 10 + the Half-Saiyan's hit dice + the Half-Saiyan's Dexterity modifier. The DC is increased by +10 if the Half-Saiyan's tail is around their waist like a belt.
- If the attacker is successful, the Half-Saiyan is rendered dazed. For each following round that the attacker wants to maintain the daze they must make another full round grapple check and the DC for the grapple increases by +2 each round. If the attacker fails the grapple check, then the Half-Saiyan immediately breaks free and may act normally.
- Oozaru form: When the Half-Saiyan takes on the Oozaru form, enters a frenzied rage. His size increases by two size categories as he transforms into a were-ape like creature covered in thick brown fur with a long snout with razor-sharp teeth and solid red eyes. An Oozaru's effective intelligence drops to 6 and he forgets his own identity, and becomes chaotic evil. Once per transformation the Half-Saiyan may attempt at any point in the transformation to make a DC 25 Control Shape check to regain his senses and can distinguish friend from foe, however he retains his 6 Intelligence.
- Click here to get more information on how this transformation works and for diplomacy checks to help control an Oozaru. A Half-Saiyan raised among other Half-Saiyans or especially those raised around full Saiyans know of this form and what happens during a full moon, most Half-Saiyans generally keep good track of when the next full moon is, and may go to bed early so that they won't change during the night, that is; unless they intend to change.
|Use common sense|
|Good DMing and judgement is a must in dealing with the Oozaru form, i.e. don't do stupid things such as purposely setting the Oozaru loose on a packed capital city, or using the Oozaru to purposely destroy any given character's item, etc. In fact, with good DMing and judgement, you could use the Oozaru form to drive one of your plots, which will make this feature more fun for you and your players.|
- Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex): A Half-Saiyan always has Control Shape as a class skill. In any form, a Half-Sayian can communicate and empathize with other Sayians and Oozarus. This gives them a +2 racial bonus in all forms on all checks when influencing an Oozaru's attitude and allows the communication of simple concepts such as "friend", "foe", "flee", and "attack".
- Latent Power: Starting at 1st level, a Half-Saiyan gains +2 bonus ki points. He also gains a number of bonus power points equal to his class level in any class he takes that has a power point system such as Saiyan Warrior, Psion, Ninja, Mana points mage, etc. If they gain levels in multiple classes they gain this benefit for each class, but must record and keep each pool seperate. This benefit does not grant them the ability to use ki abilities, cast spells or manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a class such as Saiyan Warrior or Psion. (A Half-Saiyan Saiyan Warrior would have 3 bonus ki points at 1st level, 4 bonus ki points at 2nd level and so on).
- Because Half-Saiyans are so much more in touch with their emotions than a Saiyan, Half-Saiyans find it much easier to fulfill the emotional component of the Super Saiyan transformation. If a Half-Saiyan takes levels in Saiyan Warrior than they get a +4 bonus on all saving throws to obtain and keep any of the Super Saiyan transformations.
- Half-Saiyans gain +4 skill points at first level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level. (The 4 skill points at first level are added on as a bonus, not multiplied in; see the Players Handbook).
- Saiyan Blood: For all effects related to race, a Half-Saiyan is considered a Saiyan. Half-Saiyans for example are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect Saiyans as their Saiyan ancestors are, and they can use magic items or feats (such as Saiyan Elite) that are only usable by Saiyans.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any.
- Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Half-Saiyan takes an experience point penalty, his highest-level class does not count.
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|75 years||115 years||160 years|| +2d20 years
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d8||110 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d8||80 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
Special Racial Information
|Unlike Saiyans, not all Half-Saiyans are born with a tail. Generally speaking there is about a 50% chance of a Saiyan being born with a tail or without one. A player does not need to roll this and can simply choose whether his character was born with a tail or not. If a Half-Saiyan is born without a tail, than he loses the Tail, Tail Weakness and Oozaru form abilties and can never gain them from any source, or by any means. He also loses the +2 Dexterity bonus and his LA drops from +1 down to 0.
Players who choose to be born with a tail do not lose the +2 Dexterity bonus when their tail is cut off. Their LA never changes, even if they roll that their tail will never grow back again. If they want their tail back they would have to pursue a magical remedy instead.
| Age at the
|Birth - 14 years||01 - 80||81 - 90||91 - 98||99 - 00|
|15 - 20 years||01 - 75||76 - 80||81 - 90||91 - 00|
|21 - 28 years||01 - 50||51 - 75||76 - 80||81 - 00|
|29 - 40 years||01 - 25||26 - 50||51 - 75||76 - 00|
|40+ years||01 - 04||05 - 25||26 - 50||51 - 00|
|This Half-Saiyan race is not meant to take into account lifting cars, or the feats of truly epic proportion that the characters are capable of throughout the series (i.e catching and stopping bullets, outrunning and stopping cars by hand, saving falling buses by hand, etc). In my estimation, these kinds of feats of strength, speed, reflexes, and durability are the product of epic-level characters. Rather my goal in making this race was to come up with a thorough and balanced race that remained as detailed and true to the series as possible, while still allowing for the race to be played starting at first level in the most common D&D campaigns.
I also intentionally did not include the rules for Super Saiyans here because I feel that that is a reflection of a class feature, not a racial trait. I present the rules for Super Saiyan in the Saiyan Warrior class that I designed. What I've tried to create here is a base race that describes all of the common traits for Half-Saiyans shown in the series (all 3 of them lol).
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength +, +2 Dexterity +, −2 Constitution +, +2 Wisdom + and −2 Charisma +|
|Summary||The child of a Saiyan and a Human. A Half-Saiyan has most of his Saiyan parents strength and appearance, but not their ruthless temperament. +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|