Half-Giant (3.5e Race)
This is a non-psionics version of Half-Giants that stays more true to their Giant origins from the Monster Manual, but with a dash of flavor.
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The forced breeding of Humans and Giants. Half Giants have the giants size, strength and gruff demeanor, and the Human parents adaptable mind.
Hundreds of years ago, a powerful warlord had been using giants as labor slaves, but found them to be too stupid for any complex tasks. So his solution was to force breed them with humans to get more intelligent slaves. This worked for a time, until the population of Half-Giants grew very large. With their keener minds the Half-Giants were able to organize the giants and lead a revolution against the warlord and he was killed. The hundreds of Half-Giants now free, made a settlement of their own and continue to breed true to this day.
Half-Giants tend to be gruff on the outside as a defensive mechanism, seeming to most to be similar to Half-Orcs in personality, but not sharing the Half-Orcs short temper. However, on the inside they are friendly and caring and are just looking for acceptance. While they are not as dumb as their Giant parent they still do not find joy in getting lost in thoughts or tedious debates. As such they would rather act than ponder, rather fight than argue and prefer trouble to boredom. Half-Giants are naturally distrusting of strangers and non-giants. Half-Giants tend to wear their emotions on their sleeves, so if a Half-Giant doesn't like someone, they know it! Half-Giants are far more tolerant of annoyances from people they like than people they dont. For people a Half-Giants likes they are more patient and friendly with such as family and friends. A new acquaintance of a Half-Giant who saw the Half-Giant with his friends or family would think they were 2 different people. On the bad end some Half-Giants can be very spiteful, rude brutes.
Half-Giants are much larger and more muscular than a normal human standing from 7 to 8 feet tall and weigh from 180 to 350 lbs with males slightly taller and heavier than females. Half-Giants have normal human ranges of skin tone with also pale grey shades seen as well. They have dark shades of brown and black hair. Their hair is thick and dry and they generally don't do a lot to groom it except to sometimes dreadlock it. They generally have amber or brown eyes but on very rare occasion dark blue or green shades have been seen.
Because they are the offspring of giants, Half-Giants are treated by both Dwarves and Gnomes with suspicion at best or with fear, bigotry and discrimination at worst. Half-Giants understand the cruel prejudice experienced by Half-Orcs and this allows them to relate and get along well with most Half-Orcs. Like Half-Orcs, Half-Giants grow up being ridiculed for being different and then as they grow faster and bigger than the other children, the Half-Giant is viewed as the bully when he lashes out against his tormenters simply because he's bigger. Since Half-Giants dont share Half-Orcs sullen and brash nature they dont distain Gnomes and Halflings the same way a Half-Orc might. Half-Giants enjoy Gnomes jokes and gadgets and Halflings curiosity, initiative and fun loving nature; so long as that humor doesn't always come at the Half-Giant's expense. A particularly good looking Half-Giant may even pass as a very large average looking Human more often than not.
Half-Giants have a strong connection to nature and the outdoors from their Giant lineage which makes them lean more towards chaotic alignments seeking liberty and personal freedom over rules and regulations. Like a Half-Giants Human parents they favor good and evil in equal proportions. Half-Giants raised among Giants and who are willing to live out their lives with them are usual neutral or evil. Any non-good Half-Giant will resent the demands of others on them and can sometimes be at best unpredictable or at worst unreliable.
Half-Giants have no lands of their own, living amount Giants or Humans depending on their circumstances and the tolerance of the locals. Half-Giants are most commonly accepted in Human lands more than all other races combined when not living with Giants. To see a Half-Giant living in Dwarf or Gnome lands would be all but impossible. However, legends tell a tale of a Half-Giant city. One established after the first Half-Giants freed themselves of their overlord oppressor. To this day no one knows the exact location of this supposed city, or if it even really exists at all.
Half-Giants tend to worship Kord who focuses on strength and activity which Half-Giants can easily relate to. Others might include Obad-Hai; placing their faith in nature and neutrality or may simply worship whichever god was revered in the Human community in which they were raised. Half-Giants who are nomadic travelling from place to place could worship Fharlanghn god of travel and the roads. Half-Orcs who grow up alone in the wild may not have religion if no one was there to teach them about the gods.
Half-Giants speak the language they are born into Common and Giant. Giant has no alphabet of its own, uses Dwarven script on the rare occasion when a Half-Giant needs to write something down.
A Half-Giant will normally choose a name that helps him make the right impression that hes looking to make. If he's trying to fit in with Humans he would choose a Human name.If he wants to intimidate others, he may choose a Giant name. A Half-Giant raised among Humans would be given a Human name but if the Half-Giant has a harsh childhood and then learns that he is infact different from the other kids may choose a Giant name to go by instead in an act of rebellion against those that scorned him.
Giant names are guttural and sound like some of the harsher names on Dwarven or Orc name lists.
Male Names: Augh, Dorag, Esgir, Gobar, Gronz, Kogyr, Roake, Scrag
Female Names: Agnar, Eagol, Grennel, Grigri, Marnok, Narbeth, Ogmi,
Half-Giants love travelling and seeing new places. They especially like visiting places where no one knows them and they can have a fresh start as sometimes strangers mistake them for very large Humans. Growing up among Humans are drawn usually towards violent careers in which they can put their strength to good use. Sometimes shunned from polite company, Half-Giants often find acceptance and friendship among adventurers, many of whom are fellow wanderers and outsiders.
Half-Giant Racial Traits
- +4 Strength, −2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution. Half-Giants are massive hulking figures like the giants from which they descend, but that bulk can make it more difficult for them to be nimble.
- Giant. Half-Giants are not subject to spells or effects that only effect Humanoids such as Charm Person or Hold Person.
- Half-Giant are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Half-Giants base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision (Ex): A Half-Giant can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color under these conditions.
- Darkvision (Ex): Half-Giants can see in the dark up to 30 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but is otherwise like normal sight, and Half-Giants can function just fine with no light at all.
- Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of a Half-Giant lets him function in many ways as though he were one size larger. Whenever a Half-Giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed checks (such as a grapple checks, bull rush attempts or trip attempts) the Half-Giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Half-Giant is also considered one size larger when determining whether a creature's special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Half-Giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However his space and reach remain that of a creature his actual size. The benefit of this racial trait stacks with the effects of powers, abilities and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Rock Throwing (Ex): A Half-Giant who has at least 12 Strength can hurl rocks of 40-50 lbs (small objects) up to 120 feet. A Half-Giant must have both hands free to do this.
- +1 Racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons. Throwing rocks is genetically in a Half-Giants blood and they are naturally gifted at throwing things.
- Rock Catching (Ex): A Half-Giant who has at least 12 Strength can catch Small, Medium or Large rocks (or similarly shaped projectiles). Once per round, a Half-Giant that would normally be hit by a rock (or similarly shaped projectile) is entitled to make a Reflex saving throw to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for small rocks, 20 for Medium rocks and 25 for Large rocks. If the rock or projectile provides a magical bonus on the attack, the DC increases by that same amount. A Half-Giant must be ready for and aware of the attack and half both hands free to make a catch attempt.
- A Half-Giant gains a +4 racial bonus on Reflex saves when attempting to catch a thrown rock (or similarly shaped projectile).
- +4 racial bonus on saving throws versus fear effects. Half-Giants have naturally bold personalities and are difficult to scare.
- +2 racial bonus on Intimidate checks. All Half-Giant have naturally large size, gruff demeanors and unsettling appearances which lends itself well to intimidation.
- +2 racial bonus on Climb and Jump checks. Half-Giants are naturally athletic and climbing and jumping comes naturally to them.
- +1 natural armor bonus. All Half-Giant have thick extremely durable skin.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Giant.
- Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gol-Kaa, Feline, Gnoll, Terran, Orc.
- Favored Class: Barbarian: A Half-Giant's barbarian levels do not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty. The tribal life of the Half-Giant produces many barbarians.
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|60 years||80 years||120 years||+4d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 5"||+3d6||240 lb.||× 2d6 lb.|
|Female||6' 2"||+3d6||225 lb.||× 2d6 lb.|
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Barbarian +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||−2 Dexterity +, +4 Strength + and +2 Constitution +|
|Rated By||Franken Kesey + and Lisliaer +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||The forced breeding of Humans and Giants. Half Giants have the giants size, strength and gruff demeanor, and the Human parents adaptable mind. +|