Undead Slayer (3.5e Prestige Class)
This is a condensed prestige class version of my Undead Stalker base class.
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The suggested class on page 175 of the DMG 20 1 Good Good Good Poor
Lawful Good Lawful Neutral Neutral Good Neutral Chaotic Good Chaotic Neutral
Making a Undead Slayer
|Base Attack Bonus:||+4|
|Skills:||Knowledge (Religion) 4 Ranks, Hide 4 ranks, Move Silently 4 Ranks|
|Special:||Must kill an undead creature of equal CR without assistance.|
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+1||+2||+2||+0||Favored Enemy (Undead) +2, Track, Smite Undead 1/day, Detect Undead||0||—||—||—|
|2nd||+2||+3||+3||+0||Woodland Stride, Sneak Attack +1d6||1||—||—||—|
|3rd||+3||+3||+3||+1||Endurance, Mettle, Smite Undead 2/day||2||0||—||—|
|4th||+4||+4||+4||+1||Greater Turn Undead, Camouflage, Sneak Attack +2d6||3||1||—||—|
|5th||+5||+4||+4||+1||Favored Enemy (Undead) +6, Smite Undead 3/day||3||2||0||—|
|6th||+6/+1||+5||+5||+2||Swift Tracker, Sneak Attack +3d6||3||3||1||—|
|7th||+7/+2||+5||+5||+2||Evasion, Smite Undead 4/day||3||3||2||0|
|8th||+8/+3||+6||+6||+2||Hide in Plain Sight, Sneak Attack +4d6||3||3||3||1|
|9th||+9/+4||+6||+6||+3||Smite Undead 5/day||3||3||3||2|
|10th||+10/+5||+7||+7||+3||Favored Enemy (Undead) +10, Sneak Attack +5d6||3||3||3||3|
Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Undead Slayer.
Spells: Beginning at 1st level, a Undead Slayer gains the ability to cast a small number of divine and arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the Undead Slayer spell list below. When he gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all of the spells for that level on the Undead Slayer spell list (like a Beguiler, see page 6 of the Players Handbook II). He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must. Essentially, his spell list is the same as his spells known list. An Undead Slayer is not subject to arcane spell failure.
To learn or cast a spell, an Undead Slayer must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an Undead Slayer’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Undead Slayer’s Charisma modifier. Like other spellcasters, an Undead Slayer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: Undead Slayer. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score. When the table indicates that the Undead Slayer gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Charisma score for that spell level.
Unlike a wizard or a cleric, an Undead Slayer need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.
Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a Undead Slayer's training grants him a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of the Undead type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against undead creatures. At 5th level and 10th level these bonuses increases by an additional +4 to a total of +10 at 10th level.
Smite Undead (Su): Once per day, a 1st level Undead Slayer may attempt to smite undead with one normal melee attack. He adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to his attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per Undead Slayer level. If the Undead Slayer accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day. At 3rd level, and at every other level thereafter, the Undead Slayer may smite undead one additional time per day, to a maximum of five times per day at 9th level. Against an evil undead creature these bonuses are doubled.
Detect Undead (Ex): An Undead Slayer has a 6th sense when it comes to being in the presence of undead. An Undead Slayer gets a chill down his spine anytime there is an undead within 60 feet. This ability is an extraordinary ability that otherwise replicates the effects of a detect undead, spell, but is always in effect.
Woodland Stride (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Undead Slayer may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.
Sneak Attack: An Undead Slayer gains sneak attack progression like a Rogue starting at 1d6 at 2nd level and improving by +1d6 damage every 2 levels there after.
Unlike a Rogue, an Undead Slayer's sneak attack can also effect undead creatures. This ability otherwise functions in all ways as the Rogue feature of the same name, and all sneak attack dice of Undead Slayer stack with all sneak attack and sudden strike dice from all other sources.
Endurance: A Undead Slayer gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 3rd level. If he already has Endurance from another source he may instead select any other feat for which he qualifies.
Mettle (Ex): Starting at 3rd level an Undead Slayer can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping Undead Slayer does not gain the benefit of mettle.
Greater Turn Undead (Su): When a Undead Slayer reaches 4th level, he gains the supernatural ability to turn undead. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. He turns undead as a cleric with the Sun Domain, with an effective cleric level equal to his total character level. Just like the domain power of the Sun Domain, any undead that would be turned by an Undead Slayer are destroyed instead.
Master Tracker (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, a Undead Slayer can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal −5 penalty. He only takes a −10 (instead of the normal −20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking. An Undead Slayer can also move stealthily even at a quick pace. He no longer takes a −5 penalty on Hide and Move Silently checks when moving at any speed up to his normal speed, and he takes only a −10 (instead of the normal −20) on Hide and Move Silently checks when running. (He still takes the normal −20 on such checks when charging). An Undead Slayer is so good at following tracks that he can even track someone under the influence of a pass without trace spell or similar effect, though he takes a −10 on his Survival checks when doing so. An Undead Slayer leaves absolutely no trail while traveling in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. He may choose to leave a trail if so desired.
Evasion (Ex): At 7th level, a Undead Slayer can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Undead Slayer is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Undead Slayer does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): While in any sort of natural terrain, a Undead Slayer of 8th level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.
1st-Level Undead Slayer Spells
- Alarm: Wards an area for 2 hours/level.
- Consecrate M: Fills area with positive energy, making undead weaker.
- Delay Poison: Stops poison from harming subject for 1 hour/level.
- Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or object.
- Detect Secret Doors: Reveals hidden doors within 60 ft.
- Detect Snares and Pits: Reveals natural or primitive traps.
- Detect Undead: Detects undead within 60 feet.
- Endure Elements: Exist comfortably in hot or cold environments.
- Find Traps: Notice traps as a rogue does.
- Hide from Undead: Undead can’t perceive one subject/level.
- Jump: Subject gets bonus on Jump checks.
- Know Direction: You discern north.
- Light: Object shines like a torch.
- Longstrider: Increases your speed.
- Pass without Trace: One subject/level leaves no tracks.
- Protection from Chaos: +2 to AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.
- Protection from Evil: +2 to AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.
- Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.
- Resist Energy: Ignores 10 (or more) points of damage/attack from specified energy type.
- Restoration, Lesser: Dispels magical ability penalty or repairs 1d4 ability damage.
2nd-Level Undead Slayer Spells
- Barkskin: Grants +2 (or higher) enhancement to natural armor.
- Bear's Endurance: Subject gains +4 to Con for 1 min./level.
- Bull's Strength: Subject gains +4 to Str for 1 min./level.
- Eagle's Splendor: Subject gains +4 to Cha for 1 min./level.
- Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).
- Daylight: 60-ft. radius of bright light.
- Disguise Self: Changes your appearance.
- Halt Undead: Immobilizes undead for 1 round/level.
- Invisibility: Subject is invisible for 1 min./level or until it attacks.
- Protection from Energy: Absorb 12 points/level of damage from one kind of energy.
- See Invisibility: Reveals invisible creatures or objects.
- Snare: Creates a magic booby trap.
- Speak with Dead: Corpse answers one question/two levels.
- Spike Growth: Creatures in area take 1d4 damage, may be slowed.
- True Strike: +20 on your next attack roll.
- Wind Wall: Deflects arrows, smaller creatures, and gases.
3rd-Level Undead Slayer Spells
- Alter Self: Assume form of a similar creature.
- Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
- Darkvision: See 60 ft. in total darkness.
- Glibness: You gain +30 bonus on Bluff checks, and your lies can escape magical discernment.
- Invisibility Sphere: Makes everyone within 10 ft. invisible.
- Magic Circle against Chaos: As protection from chaos, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
- Magic Circle against Evil: As protection from evil, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
- Neutralize Poison: Immunizes subject against poison, detoxifies venom in or on subject.
- Remove Disease: Cures all diseases affecting subject.
- Repel Vermin: Insects, spiders, and other vermin stay 10 ft. away.
- Searing Light: Ray deals 1d8/two levels damage, more against undead.
- Tongues: Speak any language.
- Tree Shape: You look exactly like a tree for 1 hour/level.
- Water Walk: Subject treads on water as if solid.
4th-Level Undead Slayer Spells
- Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
- Death Ward: Grants immunity to death spells and negative energy effects.
- Dispel Chaos: +4 bonus against attacks by chaotic creatures.
- Dispel Evil: +4 bonus against attacks by evil creatures.
- Disrupting Weapon: Melee weapon destroys undead.
- Freedom of Movement: Subject moves normally despite impediments.
- Invisibility, Greater: As invisibility, but subject can attack and stay invisible.
- NondetectionM: Hides subject from Divination, scrying.
- Tree Stride: Step from one tree to another far away.
- RestorationM: Restores level and ability score drains.
- True Seeing M: Lets you see all things as they really are.
- Undeath to DeathM: Destroys 1d4/level HD of undead (max 20d4).
|Inspiration for the class|
|This was inspired from the suggestion in the DMG at the end of page 175 and I decided to "bring it to life" so-to-speak. In addition to their suggestions, I traded Wild Empathy for Detect Undead (Like Paladin's detect evil) and traded Animal Companion for Turn Undead (as Paladin), and changed the spellcasting to spontaneous like Assassin and the casting stat from Wisdom to Charisma to better synchronize with the Smite and Turn Undead.|
|Allowed Alignments||Lawful Good +, Lawful Neutral +, Neutral Good +, Neutral +, Chaotic Good + and Chaotic Neutral +|
|Article Balance||Very High +|
|Base Attack Bonus Progression||Good +|
|Class Ability Progression||Full +|
|Fortitude Save Progression||Good +|
|Identifier||3.5e Prestige Class +|
|Minimum Level||1 +|
|Reflex Save Progression||Good +|
|Summary||The suggested class on page 175 of the DMG +|
|Title||Undead Slayer +|
|Will Save Progression||Poor +|