Liantia (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The Liantia (Li-ant-e-ah) are a race known for their high intelligence, long life spans, extreme physical beauty and their natural and masterful manipulation of the mystical arcane arts. Their cities are just as beautiful as the Liantia themselves and are often centers of arcane power and the one of the front runners in the advancement of the arcane arts and integrating magical technologies into every day life.
The Liantia are a race of intelligent, articulate people who are driven and ambitious in anything they set their minds to. Liantia's prefer resolutions to problems that favor brains over brawn. In fact, it's a common phrase amongst Liantia to say "Work smarter, not harder". This is not seen as laziness, but rather using ones mental acumen to resolve a problem, which the Liantia see as a compliment. They tend to be cautious, sometimes to a fault, preferring to study a situation and deliberate a plan before acting. Others may sometimes see it as being overly cautious, but a Liantia sees it as simply being careful. They prefer the thought process of "measure twice, cut once" because you can't uncut the wood, but you can always go back and cut it after the second measurement.
Liantias are generally very kind and courteous in their interpersonal interactions and try to be optimistic and give others the benefit of the doubt within reason and where possible. However, a Liantia will not tolerate blatant disrespect or attacks (verbal or otherwise) onto themselves for those close to them. A Liantia is always quick to try and see both sides of a situation (or both sides of the coin so-to-speak), and try to be diplomatic and resolve disputes with non violent resolutions. Liantia's are a people who give prudent thought to the future and to how their current actions might impact that future. Liantias are generally of the mind set: "its better to ask permission than forgiveness" because if you're asking for forgiveness you've already hurt someone.
A Liantia are a very touchy people, they always hug or even give a kiss on the cheek to people they know, and some even hug new acquaintances when they first meet them (assuming they dont get negative vibes off the new person). When having a conversation with someone it's not abnormal for a Liantia to place a hand on someones shoulder or knee while talking to them or even put a hand on a friends back while walking.
Liantia have excellent genetics and Humans and members of other races find them hauntingly beautiful. They are slightly shorter than Humans (just a smidge bigger than Elves) and are slim with fine features, standing normally between 4'10 and 5'10 tall and weighing between 95 to 150 lbs with Liantia males only marginally taller and heavier than Liantia women. Liantia women rarely have small breasts and Liantia males are far more likely to be thin and toned than have large bulky muscles. Liantia males are allegedly well endowed for their relatively short stature. Their skin is fair and pale skinned human tones but usually have very few if any blemishes in their skin (such as birthmarks, sunspots, warts, etc) and have eyes that are always bright and vibrant in color ranges between blue and green with blue being more common. On rare occasion some can have a bright almost golden amber colored eyes but this is very rare indeed. They have no body hair except Liantia males can sometimes grow short, thin beards, but they dont grow as fast as a Humans and rarely reach more than a few millimeters long. A Liantia's hair color ranges in the shades of blonde, from a bright, almost white platinum blonde to normal hair colors being in the more common shades of golden blonde, to an almost bright bronze-looking strawberry blonde. Unlike Elves, Liantia reach adulthood at around 20 years old (at almost the same pace as Humans) but then age at an extremely decelerated rate. While Humans show signs of aging as early as 35, Liantia's do not begin to see signs of aging until they are over 200 years old. Liantia live vastly longer than Elves.
Liantias get along best by far with Elves. Like Elves they have refined tastes and enjoy things like poetry, dance, song, lore and magical arts. Although the Liantia are not as passionate about sword and bow arts as Elves are, they respect an Elves proficiency and grace in combat. Also like Elves, Liantia have a long life span, so they can share a significant amount of that life with an Elf as a friend as opposed to some of the shorter lived races. Liantia get along next best with Gnomes for the Gnomes creative mind. While they don't always care for a Gnomes pranks, they enjoy the Gnomes jokes, general sense of humor and dedication to the complicated art of engineering. Because Liantia don't have the rivialry with Dwarves or the blood war with Orcs that the Elves do, they tend to be much more tolerant of Half-Orcs despite their lineage and of Dwarves in general, judging each one as an individual as they meet them. The Liantia most often treat Halflings with a measure of distrust, because either the Halfling is looking for the opportunity to get one over on them, or even if they're not, its only a matter of time until their curiousity and boredom get them and the Liantia themselves into trouble. Like Elves, Liantia tend to be pleasant and gracious to most all other races.
Liantias are very kind, friendly and outgoing by nature and fairly empathetic as well to when others are in need of help, as such Liantias are more often good than not. Even Liantias who seem aloof or not as nice are more likely neutral than evil. While it is possible for Liantias to be evil it is exceedingly rare and such people, if discovered, are always exiled out of society with extreme prejudice, even from their own family members. If such an exiled person continued to cause trouble for the community the perpetrator would be put to death. On the Law / Chaos scale they tend towards neutrality. While they are comfortable with change and adapting (a chaotic trait), they also tend to be very honest, reliable and honorable people (a lawful trait). The most common alignment for Liantias is neutral good.
Liantias make their homes on level plains areas near natural resources such as a forest or large bodies of water or rivers. Liantia cities are marvelous wonders to behold. They have the grand size and density of Human settlements, but with the intricacy, subtle details and beauty one would expect from an Elven city. Though their cities are few, they are almost always large since Liantias tend to join together in large groups. It is much more common to see large cities and metropolis' than thorps or hamlets from Liantias. In these sprawling cities trustworthy members of other races are welcome in these settlements, but Liantias do not tolerate the presence of those who would cause trouble and despite the large size of the cities, crime is minimal and any crime that did occur out in public would be responded to by any all citizens aware of it, and the perpetrator would be quickly exiled. Most all city guards are cross class Fighter/Wizards with the highest level guards, royal guards and lieutenants having levels in Spellsword (Complete Warrior p.79) as well. Any guard of the city would not hesitate to use magic to resolve problems.
Liantian capitals are mecca for all things arcane. In Liantian cities there are a great many magical shops and arcane vendors. As such there is a saturation of the magical market that most shops sell magical items (wands, staves, potions, rings, rods, wonderous items and magical weapon and armor enchantments) at 75% market value. Conversely though, because there is such a saturation of magic items, any such items the players try to sell will usually only go for about 75% what they could normally get somewhere else.
Those Liantias who do settle in Human lands are highly regarded for their high intellect as sages and tutors of academic studies. During his long lifespan a Liantia can teach several generations of a Human family. A Liantia in Human society also tend to be heads of the local wizards guild, the royal court's bard or even in smaller communities they can also be the local community arcane spellcaster.
The Liantia worship their chief deity Celesdra the Mistress of Magic and Protector of the Liantia above all others. She is the creator of the Liantia race and her clerics teach that the Liantia are to cherish and support their communities. She teaches the importance of learning and mastering the arcane arts. She teaches the Liantia to use their arcane prowess to the benefit of those in need, especially when it comes to their own communities. Celesdra is a gorgeous and powerful goddess of magic and knowledge and one of the most intelligent and cunning deities in any pantheon.
Liantia's speak their own racial language called Liantian. Liantian is a complex language of lyrical beauty with many small nuances, subtleties and intricacies. Similar sounding words can have a completely different meaning based on sentence structure, pronunciation and inflection of voice. It's not uncommon for people who learn Liantian as a secondary language later in life rather than growing up with it, to often be told that they mispronounced something or be corrected about the correct usage of certain words by someone who grew up using it. Liantian uses the Elven alphabet and to the untrained ear, people who hear Liantian often confuse it with Elven, but Liantians never take this as an insult as they generally admire the Elven language and have much in common with Elves so rarely begrudge anyone for that and simply offer a polite and simple correction.
Liantian names are made up of soft beautiful sounding syllables that usually roll off the tounge. Liantian names sound exotic and lyrical to non-liantian ears. Liantian names are usually 2-3 syllables long and often similar sounding to Elven names.
Family names: Aberdil, Alanadel, Calasha, Filiscient, Florimel, Galentia, Jalacia, Lundal, Lanashara, Lurecia, Panwyn, Perentar, Seledra, Yanacia
Male Names: Artivar, Charivar, Durilian, Jetenedon, Kessar, Melias, Mendel, Renoreth, Suramil, Tarbasun, Teldelain, Valarion
Female Names: Aeriyn, Amouranth, Arlanna, Cerene, Finlari, Karasin, Leanna, Marlys, Penabwa, Rahasia, Rhaine, Shanna, Selwyn, Tadania, Tiandra
Liantia Racial Traits
- –2 Strength, –2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma. Liantia have beautiful but lithe bodies which make them slightly more weak and frail than other races. Liantia are very intelligent and charming.
- Humanoid (Liantia)
- Medium: Liantias are Medium creatures and have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Liantia base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A Liantia can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Prodigy: The Liantia have an incredible mind, capable of adapting to and learning anything. A Liantian is always literate regardless of their character class, and all skill ranks (including for Speak Language) only cost a Liantia 1 skill point to purchase, even if the skill is cross-class for her. This does not change the maximum number of ranks she can purchase in a cross-class skill, that remains the same.
- Liantias have versatile and capable minds and learn and pick up new skill sets easily. Liantias gain +4 skill points at first level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level there after. (The 4 skill points at first level are added on as a bonus, not multiplied in; see the Players Handbook).
- Ether Sight: A Liantia can see ethereal creatures and objects as easily as she sees material creatures and objects. A Liantia can easily distinguish the difference between any ethereal creatures or material ones, because the ethereal creatures appear translucent and indistinct.
- +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against all spells and spell-like effects and abilities. Liantia have an innate resistance to magic spells.
- Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against all arcane spells cast by a Liantia. Their innate familiarity with magic and the mystic powers behind it make their spells harder to resist. This adjustment stacks with similar effects such as the Spell Focus feat.
- Spell-like Abilities: A Liantia with an intelligence score of at least 10 has the following spell-like abilities: 3/day – Detect Magic, Light and Prestidigitation, 1/day – Identify. Caster Level is equal to the Liantia's character level. Save DCs are 10 + the spell's Level + the Liantia's intelligence modifier.
- +4 racial bonus on all Spellcraft checks and on all Appraise checks that are related to magical or enchanted items.
- +2 racial bonus on all Diplomacy and Gather Information checks. A Liantia's attractive appearance, naturally kind demeanor and intellectual vocabularies make them naturally likable by anyone they meet.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Liantian.
- Bonus Languages: Any.
- Favored Class: Wizard (males) and Bard (females). A multiclass Liantia's levels in the Wizard class for males, or Bard class for females does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
- Level Adjustment: 1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|225 years||450 years||1100 years||+8d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 7"||+3d4||85 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+3d4||80 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Wizard + and Bard +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||–2 Strength +, –2 Constitution +, +2 Intelligence + and +2 Charisma +|
|Summary||The Liantia (Li-ant-e-ah) are a race known … |
The Liantia (Li-ant-e-ah) are a race known for their high intelligence, long life spans, extreme physical beauty and their natural and masterful manipulation of the mystical arcane arts. Their cities are just as beautiful as the Liantia themselves and are often centers of arcane power and the one of the front runners in the advancement of the arcane arts and integrating magical technologies into every day life.magical technologies into every day life. +